Author Topic: How much do you skate?  (Read 12472 times)

calvinsdream

Re: How much do you skate?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »
School has royally screwed up my skating schedule. I'm in grad school right now and in the most difficult semester of my program. And I work on weekends. The only days I have totally free are Sundays, but those are normally spent doing assignments that are due for the week. I try and skate once or twice a week, but don't even hit that sometimes.

Over this past summer I was working full-time, plus a side job. I averaged 50-55 hrs a week working, but skated way more. I would skate six days a week for several hours a day. Why? Because my free time was actually my free time. Once I left my work I could do whatever I wanted with the rest of my day/evening. Most days I'd get off work at 5:00 and go to the skatepark to meet up with friends and since it didn't get dark until like 9:00, I'd have several hours to skate. On weekend days where I had the whole day free, I'd skate street with my friends and go on day trips. It was so much fun. I felt more comfortable on my board than I had in years.

Now that I'm back in school there's always something academic hanging over my head, most times multiple things, that need to take priority over skateboarding. In undergrad it was generally never too bad. Barring midterms or finals week, I generally had time to skate three or four times a week. Grad school is a whole other beast though.

Just wanted to chime in - I can really understand this - I'm actually really, really, glad that graduate school is over. It was just always there, in the background, like you were saying - whether grading papers, doing problem sets, studying for qualifying exams, or research or whatever. Having a 9-5 really makes me appreciate leaving work at work.

yungthug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
The fact you want to skate counts as something.....makes sense for sure....with academics you are never done....
Expand Quote
Just wanted to chime in - I can really understand this - I'm actually really, really, glad that graduate school is over. It was just always there, in the background, like you were saying - whether grading papers, doing problem sets, studying for qualifying exams, or research or whatever. Having a 9-5 really makes me appreciate leaving work at work.
[close]
Thank you for the kind words and commiseration! A positive is that when I do get to skate, I enjoy it a ton more because it's such a rarity.

Even skating flatground for 45 minutes and trying to get frontside flips down is awesome.

Grad school is a season in my life where skateboarding has to take a backseat unfortunately. I can't wait to be done. Thankfully I'm in an accelerated program, so I only have to complete this semester and then one more.

Kudos to everyone on this board who has to juggle responsibilities and commitments and still tries to skate! As you said j soy, it's the desire to skate that counts more than anything.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:11 AM »
I try to skate 2 times a day (weather permitting).

About 30-45 mins during my lunch break and then about 60-90 mins after dinner. But i'm skating flat and little curbs and a curb high manual pad so it's pretty low impact.

Summers are too hot here and winter is full of wetness and fog, so that kinda sucks. I just drink and play video games during those days. SUCKS. But I'm trying to get a car this winter so I can go snowboarding on the weekends. It's not the same I know, but it's something. And I'm getting back into cycling (slowly) as well, trying to prep for this big vintage ride in Florence next year.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 05:58:21 AM »
How 95% of skate meet-ups go in my city from October until April.

"Hey man, wanna skate after work?"
"Yeah cool, I'll meet you at the square at 6"
*relentless rain*
"Well, wanna skate a car park?"
"Nah..."

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Use to be about 4-6 hours a day  (cause I never had a job just the hustle).  Then once I turned 38 I'd be over it after an hour and a half or less.  Can't do the long seshes any more.  The last coulple Ive been living in the sticks so a skate 1.5 times a week not even.  Not gonna stay here so I'll be back into the boardin in no time.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ImportantGuy

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »
Not nearly enough, but making moves to change that!

Chippedwood

• Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
I usually skate alone at night 1 or 2 days a week for a quick 30 minute session, I'll cruise around just ollieing shit, sometimes if I cant find new spots I wont skate for awhile and let my body heal up. Already too cold on the east coast so I have to wait til i have this lil skate vacation next month.
then once a week during the day with homies, I got a normal plaza by my house, so I go there the most and i pretty much just do a slappy noseslide and leave, i might go to the skatepark like 5 times during the summer.
I foam roll hard af :o

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »
maybe 3 times a week if im lucky

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 12:24:39 AM »
Not enough

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
enough
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 03:23:43 PM »
Three, maybe four times a week. I've also been eating like six times a day... my art belly's coming in thick.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »
Before snow came, everyday!
Now it's like arctic hell out here and all we have are two indoor skateparks...one is swarming with scooter kids plus they charge you 5€ for a fucking session and the other one is this DIY spot that is free and not even bad,but it's a gathering place for fucking antiglobalist hipsters and those ugly chicks with dreadlocks that smell of incense and shit...my IQ drops everytime!
Fuck it, will bomb some underground parking lots after the weekend

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
at least 6

maybe 12

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
Pfaff like 3 times a month, maybe more. I ain't fuckin 17 with a crew no more. Lone wolfing it.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
I ain't fuckin 17 with a crew no more. Lone wolfing it.
I prefer the solitude in a solo session now but feel you on that baw

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2017, 05:32:22 AM »
Expand Quote
School has royally screwed up my skating schedule. I'm in grad school right now and in the most difficult semester of my program. And I work on weekends. The only days I have totally free are Sundays, but those are normally spent doing assignments that are due for the week. I try and skate once or twice a week, but don't even hit that sometimes.

Over this past summer I was working full-time, plus a side job. I averaged 50-55 hrs a week working, but skated way more. I would skate six days a week for several hours a day. Why? Because my free time was actually my free time. Once I left my work I could do whatever I wanted with the rest of my day/evening. Most days I'd get off work at 5:00 and go to the skatepark to meet up with friends and since it didn't get dark until like 9:00, I'd have several hours to skate. On weekend days where I had the whole day free, I'd skate street with my friends and go on day trips. It was so much fun. I felt more comfortable on my board than I had in years.

Now that I'm back in school there's always something academic hanging over my head, most times multiple things, that need to take priority over skateboarding. In undergrad it was generally never too bad. Barring midterms or finals week, I generally had time to skate three or four times a week. Grad school is a whole other beast though.
[close]

Yes, it was the same for me. Skating did help sometimes to forget about all that stuff though. I work as a teacher now so with preperations of classes, and grading papers and exams I don't really leave work at work either. There is always more I could do: I could always prepare more and worry more about some students...
During the summer I skated 3 to 5 times a week. I'd always have short (1-2 h) sessions though. I have chronic ancle problems I am older (32) and I have found if I don't completely exhaust myself in a session and if I don't skate hungover I can stay almost pain free.
In the winter it is has been much less skating so far. Maybe 1-3 times a week depending on the weather. There is no indoor park in town and I don't like skating the underground stations. I don't really like the atmosphere there and skating only flatground can get boring.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
the other one is this DIY spot that is free and not even bad,but it's a gathering place for fucking antiglobalist hipsters and those ugly chicks with dreadlocks that smell of incense and shit..
that doesn't sound THAT bad, I wish I had an indoor joint

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
Expand Quote
the other one is this DIY spot that is free and not even bad,but it's a gathering place for fucking antiglobalist hipsters and those ugly chicks with dreadlocks that smell of incense and shit..
[close]

Thought I saw a some guy on IG who had a damn mini park in his basement.

I won't go that far, but maybe build a small ledge for my garage- which would be warmer/dryer then outside right now.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This fucked me up big time back then to the point I stopped skating, bar couple of summer seshes.
Now that I'm doing my ms dissertation I have a 9-5 and then I can skate, all weekends too. Life changer.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
Embarrassed to admit this but average about once a week. If you would have asked 15 years ago, answer would have been "every day dude!"

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
been there today,cos the weather is real shitty and it really isn't THAT bad...but I miss the streets,can`t wait for sunny days

Sloboldmanstyle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
3-4 good 45 minute -1 1/2 hr park sessions a month with 3-4 solo 1/2 hr or so driveway parking block, fun box, front bumper, 1 long stair dink around sessions a week during spring through fall. I don't try to progress too much anymore though. Usually just trying to relearn my OLD tricks or add a new twist to them and not get hurt. Sometimes I'll just have a couple beers and go do a couple parking garage or hill bombs.
Just need the feelings and sounds sometimes.

Harem

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
Not even once a week, That will be changing very soon though. Stoked to skateboard on a semi-regular basis again.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2017, 04:28:43 AM »
I got myself a flat rail so I've been skating a lot more and am starting to get with the times as far as grinding round rails without shitting your pants.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
    There's nowhere to skate where I live right now.  My new board has got me stoked to skate so I've been skating every day anyway. It's too big to flip but that's a good thing.  It's 11.75 at the back but isn't near as wide in the front. I learned sw ollie body var today.  Pretty mob but really fun.  It's a good for back 3s too -I find the mellow kick tail helps with that one.  I get pretty pivoty with those tho (disclaimer).  This board dosen't have concave and I'm finding that although concave enables you to do some tricks it also makes some other tricks harder.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2018, 06:00:29 AM »
Once a week, twice if I'm lucky.

^^this. 29 year old life smh.

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
3 times a work atleast for an hour. Got two kids and wife so it’s chill

Bromethius

• Rep: 0
  • i sk8
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2018, 04:27:08 AM »
1-2 times a month. Love skating but got work all day with too much ot. Life sucks got a helmet

Bromethius

• Rep: 0
  • i sk8
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2018, 04:30:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thought I saw a some guy on IG who had a damn mini park in his basement.

I won't go that far, but maybe build a small ledge for my garage- which would be warmer/dryer then outside right now.

What’s the IG username?

tranny in the streets

• Rep: 12
  • Gronk
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 10:41:24 PM »
Not as much as I should, anywhere from 3-7 times a week, but I could skate more I just get lazy sometimes.