Author Topic: Reynolds  (Read 13009 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: Reynolds
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
I thought this was one of the better Epicly Laterds because it had a focused story to tell, even though the storytelling process is never as strong in EL is it could.  This was about Reynolds and his daughter.  How that came from his own experiences with his parents and what he needed to do in order to grow up to be the parent he is and company owner.   He obviously is too old and too secure to bring up drama or unpleasantness, which is why he doesn’t mention Jay Strickland by name during the whole money stolen section and avoids bringing up why he’s raising his daughter instead of the mom.  There’s probably been 2-3 previous eps about Reynolds too, which helps fill in the gaps.   

42 minutes isn’t much to work with.  Future eps need to follow more of the “find a story within the life” rather than just do a career rundown

And that graphic Reynolds loves was a Jamie Foy deck with Chris Griffin from family guy made to look like him

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
I think Andrew brings up Strickland in that project he did with the Berrics where he goes over all his skate parts. I actually thought that was a good series.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »
Pretty sure the missing 50k was about j strickland but that's just speculation.
Also Phelps comment fits because they were painting a picture about Andrews substance abuse and lack of forethought at that point in time.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »
I forgot Theotis Beasley existed.

A little surprised his house was that unfurnished.   It’s like a place a covert CIA op would keep

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
Stella was cool until she dissed her pops and then said GT was better than him...

Kids these days...

Nag Champa

• Rep: -29
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »
dudes...with p-stone's passing and watching his, wenning's, neen's, etc. the sober skaters' 9 clubs just this week and these episodes lately, especially Andrew's has gotten me thinking...my back's been fucked for three years, have not fully recovered from a bulging disk still, and all the while, I drink beer like it's my fucking job. I don't know if I'm having a moment of clarity or whatever but when Andrew said you just have to be willing to try it out, that clicked...we'll see. Watching Jereme Roger's invented molly laugh helped nudge me too.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »
Stella was cool until she dissed her pops and then said GT was better than him...

Kids these days...

Yeah she was always one of the best, but shes kooking it hard these days. How is she gonna last in this business feuding with the boss like that?

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote

Kids these days...
[close]

Yeah she was always one of the best, but shes kooking it hard these days. How is she gonna last in this business feuding with the boss like that?

Idk this whole episode kind of seemed like a plug from Andrew to try and get her sponsored by other companies.  Like he asks her 'who are your dream sponsors?'  Thats no coincidence.....  And everyone keeps saying "shes ripping!!"  somethings fishy about all this Stella hype..

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 10:11:31 PM »
I would've loved to hear more about filming for MADE. Basically how he's dealing with trying to keep up at this stage in his life and career.

I love the fact this show is back on for another season but it's definitely lost it's grit that made it so distinguished.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »
Glad to hear other people had issues with Phelps comment at the beginning of the show. I was ready to accept that yeah maybe he's a bit of a doof but then I've never gotten that impression and the show made him seem like one of the most with-it guys in the game. Is it maybe the OCD and Phelps just doesn't get it?

The show is definitely sticking with the Behind the Music groove of "meteoric rise, peak, drama that may cost it all, back on top" trope but I dunno maybe that's just TV. I'm still enjoying the hell out of this season even if I think some of the web series eps were better. Letting the content dictate the episode length is probably the way EL works best but I'm happy to get an hour of skate nerd shit on actual TV every damn week.

Also, here's a link of the episode to download that I'll keep up for the next couple days:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-fPDDdGDwTIZmlvbWJraDNGUG8
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »
was there any TK. cuz if not it makes the heath scientist comment funnier.

IHOP

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 11:41:46 PM »
really liked the bit about stella not doing stinkbugs after watching the loveletters

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »
was there any TK. cuz if not it makes the heath scientist comment funnier.

He dusted off the “that’s why he’s the boss” line, if I remember correctly

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A little surprised his house was that unfurnished.   It’s like a place a covert CIA op would keep

furnished house, or a bentley parked outside? thats a big decision.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
What a guy. Skateboarding is very lucky to have him.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 01:02:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought he was Chance the Rapper at first haha

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
Reynold's daughter eats fruit

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »
the fact that stella watches loveletters is so sick. great episode

That and how his crew worships Cardiel...great episode

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
I'm not the biggest Phelps fan, and that statement was pretty cold, but I think he might have meant it bout how out of it and delusional Reynolds was during his SOTY/alcohol-drug fueled era, like: "he was a fucked up zombie obsessed with Cadillacs but he was ripping." Or that's what I'd like to think he meant. Or maybe dude is still bitter that Reynolds stumped him with the George Carr question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn85U_exV1k

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
I'm not the biggest Phelps fan, and that statement was pretty cold, but I think he might have meant it bout how out of it and delusional Reynolds was during his SOTY/alcohol-drug fueled era, like: "he was a fucked up zombie obsessed with Cadillacs but he was ripping." Or that's what I'd like to think he meant. Or maybe dude is still bitter that Reynolds stumped him with the George Carr question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn85U_exV1k

Im 100% sure that's what he meant. All the fucked up nights, doing stupid shit, risking your career, fighting, etc. He wasn't just in the wrong places at the wrong times.. Speaking as someone who did similar things (and continues to do them), only an idiot with a few screws loose gets themselves into those situations. (talent or no talent, great company or no company)

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
this was a great episode, felt pretty wholesome in a good way. I didn't think the Stella stuff was forced, I took it as Reynolds trying to shift the focus off him a bit and show that she's into her own thing.

Atiba isn't annoying to me, he talks like he was there for a lot of skateboardings biggest moments/times/trips/skaters because he actually was. I think Atiba put a lot of dudes on to the industry/public by shooting photos of them and having his name attached to it. It's kind of weird that he seems to be in the series more than anyone else but he's a photographer, so it makes sense for him to be around a huge variety of skaters regardless of sponsor/style. He's put in the work for years , let the dude do his thing

How are they gonna fit the Dill ep into an hour? looking forward to that one. also looking forward to seeing how they do the Korine episode
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i was thinking kevin durant's cousin

also, i bet element can't wait to have Stella on their team.  they shockingly don't have a prominent female rider.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »
This was dope. The Berrics Life On Video may still be the go to piece on Reynolds but this was good (I can never fully hate Berrics because those Life On Videos are so dope)

As a dedicated Reynolds stan I knew a lot but it was cool to see him mentoring Kader and raising Stella. Carcass Crew the realest out lol. Spanky talking about it was funny. And cool that he feels like taking chances on people because that's what Tony did for him.

I've watched this, Kirchart, and half of Muska's and safe to say this Epicly Later'd season is one for the books.

Why did Phelps call him dumb lol

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Kids these days...
[close]

[close]

Idk this whole episode kind of seemed like a plug from Andrew to try and get her sponsored by other companies.  Like he asks her 'who are your dream sponsors?'  Thats no coincidence.....  And everyone keeps saying "shes ripping!!"  somethings fishy about all this Stella hype..

I don't think so. He's said repeatedly that he's not a skate dad. I just saw it as Stella's dad, his friends and her godfather being psyched on her skating which seems pretty normal.

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
wonder who the pro that was telling attiba he was whack.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »

Most certainly someone who is entirely irrelevant while Reynolds is still crushing it on the daily, 25 years after that stupid comment was made.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

i was thinking kevin durant's cousin

also, i bet element can't wait to have Stella on their team.  they shockingly don't have a prominent female rider.
Last they had was Vanessa Torres right?

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2017, 08:26:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Most certainly someone who is entirely irrelevant while Reynolds is still crushing it on the daily, 25 years after that stupid comment was made.

scott pazelt confirmed

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2017, 05:27:52 AM »
2-3 beers?