Author Topic: Transworld Videos  (Read 5896 times)

Joey Fatone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Transworld Videos
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
What do you think happened to them?

I grew up watching skate videos EVERY night before bed. One of favorites then and now is "Feedback".

That and "The Reason" I had a as DVD double combo. The music. The vibes. The feeling that was conveyed to be a Skateboarder. It changed my life for the better. It led me into a lifelong relationship with skateboarding.

It feels weird but the last Transworld Video I saw that made me feel that way was 2006's "A Time To Shine".

Something has changed? Or is it just nostalgia. Please discuss.

Side note: My friends and I always blamed a Jason Hernandez departure for the change in quality/course but honestly, most of his projects as of late feel uninspired and rushed, so I am not sure about that theory anymore.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
Re: Transworld Videos
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
I think First love was my favourite tws video. I think the last one i really enjoyed was Right foot forward but yeah they use to be money back in the day.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

ontheswarm

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
Think when they went HD is when I was over it. Watched Not Another Transworld and hated everything about it.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
I felt the same way also until Substance and Riddles.

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 08:44:41 PM »
It got even worst when that guy Chris decided it was a better look to run with the camera rather than film traditionally. 

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
It's a tough thing to come into Transworld and produce a video that will be compared heavily to what has come out, Feedback, The Reason, and Modus Operandi are seasoned favorites and thats just the Ty era. Lets Do This and some of the ones after weren't bad,but I think its just how video importance has changed over time.
It got even worst when that guy Chris decided it was a better look to run with the camera rather than film traditionally. 
Was that Riddles? Or the vid before? That was rough to watch at a certain point haha

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »
it all went to shit the minute Chris Ray started to get involved.

mix that with a departure of serious A list names because skate media was just beginning to get over saturated.

i'm rooting for Joe with this new one... maybe he'll finally be the one to give Vincent Alvarez the part he deserves

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 02:27:15 AM »
As video projects got bigger, it became harder for Transworld to create an epic video in 12 to 18 months. That combined with the rise of solo internet parts really hurt them. I did really enjoy perpetual motion, but that may just be because of Silas's part, but I thought Julian Davidson, Carlin and Walker Ryan came through with good parts.

The last videos have been terrible due to filming, although, I did really enjoy T-Funks part and online part from that footage.

It seems during the Ty era, the filming for it was a lot more casual, and they also bought parts outright such as Trainwreck's footage which was originally bound for a Zero video. Now it seems they are much more focused on travelling as a group and such. Whereas I doubt Heath filmed much with anyone but Strickland for Sight Unseen.

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 126
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 03:20:30 AM »
Something has changed? Or is it just nostalgia.

I always end up circling this question but don't have a fulfilling answer. Feedback through In Bloom is six vids that defined what I thought a skate vid should and could be / the pinnacle of the format. Then Free Your Mind came out and despite having objectively good skating in it (and bitchin songs for corpsey and wu welsh) it somehow felt really underwhelming, like it had been deprived of some essential element.

might have something to do with the fact that it was the first one i saw on dvd instead of vhs.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:40:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Something has changed? Or is it just nostalgia.
[close]

I always end up circling this question but don't have a fulfilling answer. Feedback through In Bloom is six vids that defined what I thought a skate vid should and could be / the pinnacle of the format. Then Free Your Mind came out and despite having objectively good skating in it (and bitchin songs for corpsey and wu welsh) it somehow felt really underwhelming, like it had been deprived of some essential element.

might have something to do with the fact that it was the first one i saw on dvd instead of vhs.

Free Your Mind was supposed to have KT and Gonz parts. 

Probably already mentioned, but the golden age of TWS was when 2 minute skate parts were acceptable and there was no other outlet for good skating.   What would Rowley’s footage pre-Sorry ever be used for?

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »
They changed when Jason Hernandez got involved. First love was good but that's about it in my opinion. A time to Shine is watchable sorta, but first time I saw Lets Do This I remembered how videos like i.e and The Reason felt and those later videos were just so far off. I get they had to change it up but I feel like The Sight Unseen, Feedback era had such an identity, it's hard to mimic that in a different and equally well received way... Also skate videos just aren't as good as they used to be. I don't know why but it's just how it is these days, hard pill to swallow but 4:3 will always be better than 16:9 (for skate videos at least)

shark tits

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »
i liked uno a bunch but it seems like shortly thereafter they started doing tacky editing tricks like rewinding the skater and putting him forward again like scratching a record. shit was awful and when i think of TWS editing that comes to mind. there have been some iconic parts but if i wanna see DGKalis skate i don't need him to go 'run, chill skate' or whatever every time. it's like interviews for people to illiterate to read the mag.
i love danny gonzales but his part is edited lame.
all hail cardiel but i watch his anti hero or spitfire before i watch his tws.
heath always looked good on their vids at least.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:22:43 AM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
cause we had 4-5 major videos a year and at least one of them was a transworld
post-dvd youtube era changed everything, they got less budget, more videos coming out.... just different times

They did it good at their prime, those good ol' times were amazing... but those are long gone, get over it already

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 08:11:25 AM »
It's a tough thing to come into Transworld and produce a video that will be compared heavily to what has come out, Feedback, The Reason, and Modus Operandi are seasoned favorites and thats just the Ty era. Lets Do This and some of the ones after weren't bad,but I think its just how video importance has changed over time.
Expand Quote
[close]
Was that Riddles? Or the vid before? That was rough to watch at a certain point haha

Chris Thiessen did Substance and Riddles.  Both videos had a decent line up but my god did he blow it trying to go for a nostalgic 90's kind of vibe.  If you watch one of those entire videos you will feel like you've been on a boat in the ocean during a hurricane... some serious motion sickness.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »
I like the Not-another Transworld video. .and Substance/Riddles
There's alot of nostalgia for it but the video availability and content has also raised and they post some awesome video's on their website. .I'll watch most people skate at least once
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
I think they didn't make them as gritty anymore. After Let's Do This shit went downhill. Too happy and sunshine rainbows.

Niggas want slam montages and vx footage.

Cinematographer Project was nice though. Pretty good skating and editing was way better.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »
Definitely agree thos TWS videos were fucking classics. Outliers was choice though, it had that feel and the HD was done proper as fuck. Too bad they went the VX route after ir.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
Definitely agree thos TWS videos were fucking classics. Outliers was choice though, it had that feel and the HD was done proper as fuck. Too bad they went the VX route after ir.

When they started chasing trends rather than starting them

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:47:16 PM »
True Dat...And there was Super Status SK8ers back then, With
Huge personalities/image. The 70's/80's had it and then it came back in the late 90's/Early 2000's.
Transworlds best Videos were during that Time.

Feed Back & Modus O are my Faves

Expand Quote
[close]

Do You even Street Style ???

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seems typical with anything that has no identity or has to create a new one. I think the last last video of theirs I fully watched more than twice was Let's Do This,mostly for that Smolik part and E-Man power.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »
Call me old and bitter, but Sight Unseen was the last great TWS video. There was good ones after that, but that was the pinnacle (ok yeah and Modus).

Anthology was one of my first few videos I owned and that video was GREAT, it was a mish-mash of their earlier videos, the cream of the crop mixed with really good & informative commentary. An essential, even nowadays, for any youngin' who wants to learn about the mid to late 90s/early 2000s!

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 05:31:35 AM »
i liked uno a bunch but it seems like shortly thereafter they started doing tacky editing tricks like rewinding the skater and putting him forward again like scratching a record. shit was awful and when i think of TWS editing that comes to mind. there have been some iconic parts but if i wanna see DGKalis skate i don't need him to go 'run, chill skate' or whatever every time. it's like interviews for people to illiterate to read the mag.

Ugh, the techno choppy edits were fucking terrible. When I watch the Staba and BA part I gotta mute it, and yea BA keeps getting "record scratched". Didn't Atiba make most of that shitty techno?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 07:29:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ugh, the techno choppy edits were fucking terrible. When I watch the Staba and BA part I gotta mute it, and yea BA keeps getting "record scratched". Didn't Atiba make most of that shitty techno?
There was a slew of tracks that Atiba did,most were run through the credits though. Muskabeats and whatever Ty was into covered the electronica. Staba's section in Modus was done by Muska for example. Feedback had that sad ass Moby track! In some cases it worked,but its funny how over time the music changed as the director and filmers did. I think Tommy G and Ray Barbee also had their music in some of the Transworld vids.

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »
Interface is my shit

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »
my all time fav is probably Feedback

the last one I really enjoyed was the second Cinematographer... still watch these parts weekly

http://vimeo.com/39920899

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhGB4opQwdo
(maybe my favorite Busenitz part)

...and of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMyMAT5-3UE&t=1s
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:14:20 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 08:13:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
There was a slew of tracks that Atiba did,most were run through the credits though. Muskabeats and whatever Ty was into covered the electronica. Staba's section in Modus was done by Muska for example. Feedback had that sad ass Moby track! In some cases it worked,but its funny how over time the music changed as the director and filmers did. I think Tommy G and Ray Barbee also had their music in some of the Transworld vids.

Well, the rewound the skater when he’d do another trick on the same spot or 180 out.  Not ideal, but people were trying new stuff.

In retrospect, music not the best, but compared to what you had to listen to during a 411, this was the white album.

Master B might be a little scratch heavy, but Staba Son seems uncontroversial.   

HisDudest

• Rep: -140
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:43 AM »
And Now was hot, like sauce

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »
remember that one with neen williams and riley hawk

ugghh, bad times

shark tits

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well, the rewound the skater when he’d do another trick on the same spot or 180 out.  Not ideal, but people were trying new stuff.

In retrospect, music not the best, but compared to what you had to listen to during a 411, this was the white album.

[close]
oh well that changes everything. fuck up the continuity of the video because there was a 180 out.
i don't give a goddamn hell if he flips in dressed as goddamn batman. it just looks tacky and 'i just figured out my special effects'. one thing great about skate videos is they're real life. minus the bails or whatever, they are accessible like an IFC movie, fuck all that cgi nonsense. even slow mo is crap. in my day if you wanted slow mo you had to skate real wicked slow. do you know how hard it is to jump down stairs in slow mo?
aw, the 90s when men were men....

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yea the rewind stuff didnt really bother me because it became obvious when I started filming and editing that they were just filler to stay with the music beat/edit flow, although some parts had a lot of it haha.
411 used to crack me up with music choices,all over the place typically