Author Topic: I SUCK ! | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 68  (Read 21918 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: I SUCK ! | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 68
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Its gotten to the point with this show where even when it's a guest I'm interested in (like Jamie) I still feel reluctant to sit through 2 hours of Chris & Rog. I wish there was a "guest only" edit that just consisted of the guest's answers with all the kookery from the hosts edited out.

That's the one thing I really liked about Tim O's podcasts. Jenkem would list a timeline with what was being discussed at points throughout the pod. I know that might seem lazy to some but it helps when the listener only has a certain amount of time to listen.

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
Bubblegum Tate on that shit even in the evening!

Three and a half hours!?  For ISUCK, that seems about right.

:D
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »
I tend to zone out in the early discussions about how the person got into skating, but I have been tuned in to everything since Jamie started talking about his trip to California with his 2 friends.

Super good episode and I've still got an hour left. Really stoked how this lined up with the recent Muska Epicly Later'd and the Brian Anderson 9 club.

Also appreciate Jamie bringing his own reusable bottle onto the show.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
Hey Jamie,  you're  the man !  8)

Also this:   ;D

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
Well worth the wait, hoping for more of these long episodes.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »
Really good episode and very detailed with stories i haven't heard anywhere else. An hour had been cut from the version i started listening to last night though. It could have definitely been longer and he could have dove in to more parts of his extensive career. Good shit ISUCK! The leap of faith story was sick! And i think Jamie on Converse would have worked.

shark tits

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »
some dumb kid manifested the leap of faith w/ a silly graffito. got me wanting to write 'pj ladd popover ledge' at my diy and make him appear.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
If you listen on iHeartRadio they have the four hour version. I've been listening to it on and off all day and there's a lot of good stories

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »

If you can get paid and have your name on a board without popping your tail at least once a day than fuck it, right?

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
That was great.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Plop

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 12:38:24 AM »
that was amazing. probably the best episode yet.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
great episode but chris roberts is really annoying sometimes. someone should make a soundboard out of his continuous unnecessary interruptions. just listen to his commentary while jamie tells that last story about the leap of faith 'right, right... okaaay... uh huh... wow yeah..... oooooh okay....right ooooh.... mhmmm... right, okay.... aaaaah'

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 02:45:36 AM »
Only an hour in, interesting to hear the full story behind the Baker 2 black screen. I was never sure if the issue was Jamie didn't want the footage in (which is what it was) or whether Jamie was slightly underage which could have caused a legal shit storm.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 03:02:23 AM »
I don’t remember this because I have it on vhs. What happened?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 03:27:48 AM »
I don’t remember this because I have it on vhs. What happened?

Jamie was sending out sponsor me videos (flow for so throwing footy at them) and on a trip to DLX Baker guys found one of Jamie's sponsor me videos; he filmed a line naked and after figuring out the clip was used in the video he went through the legal department to get the clip removed.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:00 AM »
2/3 in, great episode.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 05:33:31 AM »
can't fade the muska!

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 05:59:54 AM »
Great, great episode. A heavy look into one of skating's greatest success stories. The concept of filming, editing, team managing, and then on top of that delivering one of the all-time classic parts in Welcome to Hell is just absurd. What a work ethic.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2017, 07:42:12 AM »
that was amazing. probably the best episode yet.
where is home?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »
"You suck at asking questions!"
- Jamie Thomas

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »
Fell asleep probably 2 hours into it. Not that t was boring, just was listening to it through out he day and even up until I laid down. I have always been on the fence of whether I liked Jamie as a person. His skating is undeniable. Always loved it. But you hear so many mixed stories. I guess it’s the trouble of having to be a business man/boss.

But damn. This episode is kicking ass. I like how he’s just got a ton of stories and does most of the talking. It’s really funny to hear how aware he is now of how he was a “try hard” in his early days. Also the story of Kelch sort of trying to punk him and get him out of his half cabs is hilarious.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »
great episode but chris roberts is really annoying sometimes. someone should make a soundboard out of his continuous unnecessary interruptions. just listen to his commentary while jamie tells that last story about the leap of faith 'right, right... okaaay... uh huh... wow yeah..... oooooh okay....right ooooh.... mhmmm... right, okay.... aaaaah'

I thought it was odd how much he was doing that but I think Jamie and CROB just have conflicting conversational skills. Like it has to be a good pairing between host and guest and sometimes CROB and Jamie were talking over each other battling to get their words out. Even from Epicly Later'd shows, Jamie seemed very conversational than most of the skaters but it seems he can talk about things for a long time. CROB just needs to bite his tongue and let him have at it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

shark tits

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »
kinda like what redhatchet was saying, i have a conflicted idea of chief as a person.
he doesn't come across as super alpha dogg in conversation but it seems to be a pattern butting heads w/ the other ripper on the team [john the man reeve, muska] if he's not the one running it.
the down and out in sf was relatable to me.
kinda funny to be 18 and trying to impress the 13 yr olds at EMB, skating was in an odd time.
also, kinda crazy that he wasn't about handrails til hanging out w/ ed. i had this image of him skating these gnarly alabama spots because in some rural areas that's all there is.
deanna on rollerskates filming, what a dream girl!

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought it was odd how much he was doing that but I think Jamie and CROB just have conflicting conversational skills. Like it has to be a good pairing between host and guest and sometimes CROB and Jamie were talking over each other battling to get their words out. Even from Epicly Later'd shows, Jamie seemed very conversational than most of the skaters but it seems he can talk about things for a long time. CROB just needs to bite his tongue and let him have at it.

I don't know man. That sounded like an adlib track. I was laughing at points at how annoying it was.

Jaime: The Real team at the time was Tony..
Crob: wow ok

Jesus Christ man just let the dude speak. Other than that though it was awsome
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:29:13 PM by daewonbong3000 »

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »
kinda like what redhatchet was saying, i have a conflicted idea of chief as a person.
he doesn't come across as super alpha dogg in conversation but it seems to be a pattern butting heads w/ the other ripper on the team [john the man reeve, muska] if he's not the one running it.
the down and out in sf was relatable to me.
kinda funny to be 18 and trying to impress the 13 yr olds at EMB, skating was in an odd time.
also, kinda crazy that he wasn't about handrails til hanging out w/ ed. i had this image of him skating these gnarly alabama spots because in some rural areas that's all there is.
deanna on rollerskates filming, what a dream girl!

I think you can chalk up the butting heads to being younger. I know me and my friends were competitive and shit talked each other when we were teenagers. I couldn’t imagine how I’d react if I was an up and coming skater in the industry dealing with other dudes etc.

As to the statement that I’m conflicted on him, I suppose it hasa lot to do with the stories and interviews you hear and read about him as a business man. But I think I’ve come to the conclusion that as much as we want skateboarding to be pure and “different” than other mainstream corporations/businesses, at the end of the day,if you want to survive you have to play the game. Love it or hate it, Jamie made a career and established a bunch of well known and loved brands because of how he handled himself/his companies.

I respect Jamie, and I think he comes across as a good dude. He reminds me a lot of my buddy who had a lot of similar “hustles” as Jamie likes to call it. My buddy was the older generation as I started skating and was always selling his used/worn/skated gear to the younger guys like me. But now that I’m older, I could never sell someone a used board. If I see someone in need I just give up what I can to them on the spot. My friend even did that same shit at restaurants of clearing plates of food from other tables when they left haha. The parallels are hilarious to me.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
This was the best one yet, hands down. Jamie is a great story teller. I honestly have a new found respect for ISUCK after loosing it all when I found out he shits his pants after drinking lemonade ??? I listen to hardcore history so I'll take 3-4 hour pods all day.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »
you guys had to make it sound awesome and now i have to somehow find nearly 4 hours and i'll never forgive you guys for this.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »
You don’t have to listen to it all at once

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
The board on the door happens to be today's Daily Dose item.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can get paid and have your name on a board without popping your tail at least once a day than fuck it, right?

Hey, he's the man !