Author Topic: Does cleaning bearings actually help  (Read 4321 times)

Dustwardprez

Re: Does cleaning bearings actually help
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
I know it makes no sense at all. Everyone hates it and thinks it's a fad, but after skating for close to thirty years, I 100% believe the way to have the fastest bearings with the most longevity is to pop the shields and ride em dry. Haven't popped a bearing since I started taking the shields off ten years ago. They never seize, and they're super fast.

I do this with my rain board. It is way faster than the others but the races are all busted up loose bearings squeaking and it takes a hill bomb to get them rolling properly. After that they fly

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 10:51:50 AM »
I don't know how you guys can go without shields. Are your roads not dusty/sandy at all, or something?

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »
I don't know how you guys can go without shields. Are your roads not dusty/sandy at all, or something?

I pop shields and run into dirt often but i do believe when the shields are off they come back to life quicker than with shields.  BUT one problem i run into often is squeaky bearings, is that to do with the races as mentioned above?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 11:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I pop shields and run into dirt often but i do believe when the shields are off they come back to life quicker than with shields.  BUT one problem i run into often is squeaky bearings, is that to do with the races as mentioned above?

you can order replacements from skateone.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

IanBZHD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 03:32:34 PM »
I have swiss and clean them, but can't seem to get rid of a weird noise that's never happened to me before.
It's almost like a zipper sound and gets louder when I'm turning or doing manuals. Anyone ever get that? Cleaning did nothing but make them faster and more zippery. Non of the bearings seem to be locked up...

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »
I have swiss and clean them, but can't seem to get rid of a weird noise that's never happened to me before.
It's almost like a zipper sound and gets louder when I'm turning or doing manuals. Anyone ever get that? Cleaning did nothing but make them faster and more zippery. Non of the bearings seem to be locked up...

Skateone has individual Swiss for sale on their site. If the other 7 are good to keep rolling that’s an option
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Dustwardprez

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »

Maybe the bearing that’s louder isn’t seated properly. Do you use spacers

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2019, 08:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you're running bearings without shields. that's gonna cause a lot of wear and friction on your bearing. that squeaking that you're hearing is friction.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2019, 04:12:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you're running bearings without shields. that's gonna cause a lot of wear and friction on your bearing. that squeaking that you're hearing is friction.

F yeah I pop the shields off! All our idols told us too and it makes you cooler when showing off your set-up to local sk8ers.
That being said, I wouldn't say it's a squeaking sound on mine. I've had debris on the races, which can cause them to lock up or, yes, be squeaky. This is like a low purring-like sound especially during deep turns.
I've never had this issue, but I did recency buy a set of bones wheels after skating only Spitfire for a million years, so it could be a bearing seating issue...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2019, 01:33:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

F yeah I pop the shields off! All our idols told us too and it makes you cooler when showing off your set-up to local sk8ers.
That being said, I wouldn't say it's a squeaking sound on mine. I've had debris on the races, which can cause them to lock up or, yes, be squeaky. This is like a low purring-like sound especially during deep turns.
I've never had this issue, but I did recency buy a set of bones wheels after skating only Spitfire for a million years, so it could be a bearing seating issue...
That weird sound issue also happened to a friend, it was because he got fake Bones Swiss.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:16 AM »
absolutely yes I clean my bearings monthly, of course I am quite methodical in my cleaning process but it does help skated the same swiss bearings since 2009.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2019, 08:40:40 AM »
absolutely yes I clean my bearings monthly, of course I am quite methodical in my cleaning process but it does help skated the same swiss bearings since 2009.

You are a fucking champion.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »
I clean my bearings when it’s raining, more for fun. I don’t think it helps any n if it did , it’s very short lived IMHO. One roll around the block n their back in the same shape as before I cleaned them.
Shalom.

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »

How have you not busted a bearing in ten years? I can blow a bearing out in less than a year.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »

Can you clean my bearings for me?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »
A bearing may spin freely with no weight on it but to all you 'same set of swiss for blah blah' types, those balls have gotten smaller (ie, slower bearings) cause its metal on metal.  New reds whenever needed seems cheap enough.  They dont need matinence, just fire em out.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:36:17 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Dustwardprez

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How have you not busted a bearing in ten years? I can blow a bearing out in less than a year.

Cleaning and spacers. Especially after doing crooks on metal ledges. I get about a decade out of a good bearing.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cleaning and spacers. Especially after doing crooks on metal ledges. I get about a decade out of a good bearing.
  Could i send u a bearing bro?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

tedkootz

• Rep: -59
  • my life be like ooh ahh
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
no, its a waste of time

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
if you're willing to do it - yes it will help
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Austen Seaholmes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

please elaborate

Dustwardprez

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 08:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
please elaborate

Crooks shave metal from your trucks straight into your bearings. When the wheel is pressed on crooks without a spacer and the wheels loose all the weight is on that inside bearing.

Spacers make it so the weight load is spread out across the axle and shared between both bearings from speed ring to speed ring.

I’m sorry reverbtank im very unreliable i would fuck it up. 

I can send you a video showing how to fix a bearing?