Author Topic: COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Half Cab and Half Cab Pro  (Read 12672 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Half Cab and Half Cab Pro
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
COFFEE BREAK WITH THE HALF CAB AND HALF CAB PRO

http://www.freeskatemag.com/2017/08/30/memory-screen-25-years-of-the-half-cab/

After watching the Free Skate Mag: Memory Screen Half Cab vid on repeat for the last month, I decided to check out the differences between the original SLAPpal uniform shoe of choice - the original Vans Half Cab and its fancy schmancy counterpart - the Half Cab Pro.  Having only ever skated the original Half Cab, I wanted to know whether the Pro offered anything more than just a bloated insole.  (SPOILER:  It does). 

Half Cab (left) / Half Cab Pro (Cab 25th Anniversary Ver. (right))

Toe Shape

The toe of the original Half Cab (right) is much wider/rounder, while the toe of the Pro is narrower.  The Pro also has a rubber foxing stripe around it and dura-cap stuff under the suede.  When next to each other, the Half Cab looks a bit like a blown-out version of the Pro.  I dunno the science of it all, but I tend to like a narrower toe for flip tricks. 

Half Cab Pro (left) / Half Cab (right) 

Also, the Half Cab Pro fits snugger to the top and sides of your fore-foot, which is rad if you like a more glove-like fit, but I think the original Half Cab toe is one of the most comfortable toes in skateboarding, so I'm biased against the Pro on that aspect.

Sidewalls/Panels/Details

Half Cab -- Nothing much to say other than it's suede with some of the oddest paneling in skateboard shoe design... but we love it.  Also the toe vulc has the classic arch shape to it, whereas the pro has the straight cut.

original Half Cab

original Half Cab  - toe vulc arch

Half Cab Pro -- Thicker suede, some duracap stuff underneath, and the panels are actually smaller/tighter in comparison to the original (less space between them).  The Pros will should last longer due to the foxing, duracap, suede, etc.  Again, they make the original Half Cab feel like they've blown out after a week of wearing compared to the fit of the Pros.  Again again, I prefer the original fit... but any of you unfamiliar with the half cabs would probably prefer the fit of the Pros as its more like the fit of other shoe brands. 

Half Cab Pro

Half Cab Pro / Half cab

Half Cab Pro - smaller paneling

Half Cab Pro - straight cut toe vulc

Collar / Heel Lock

The original Half Cab collar is basically cinching a piece of cardboard around your ankle, but man, it's best feeling cardboard around.  It's pretty loosey goosey, but you can get it as tight as you want depending on how high you loace em up and how tight you like your laces.  At the highest eyelet and yanked down, your heel isnt going anywhere (at least for the first couple of weeks).  The collar on the Half Cab Pro is narrower and forms to your Achilles a bitter better than the original.  Also, the material/construction is a little more comfortable than the cardboard described above.   Again, if you're new to Vans, then I'd think the Pro will probably feel better for you.  My only gripe is that the Ultracush seems a little "too" thick for the shoes themselves and for me, I'd probably have to walk in em for a month or so to pack it down to where I like where my heel rests (i.e. lower in the footbed).

original Half Cab collar

Half Cab Pro collar

The Tongue

The tongue on the Half Cab will cure all your nostalgia.  It's necessarily puffy... in the perfect way.  The tongue on the Half Cab Pro is thinner and probably made with better stuff.  Again, if you're coming from another shoe brand with an athletic-heritage, then you'll probably prefer the Pro tongue. 

original Half Cab

Half Cab Pro

The Sole

The Half Cab Pro's sole is narrower in the arch, again giving it a more consistent feel for those of you coming over from other brands.  It also goes along with the tighter/snugger fit of the shoe overall.  However, to me, the original sole is perfect. 

Final Thoughts

The Half Cab is one of the best skate shoes ever.  For most, it was blasphemy to even mess with it.  But, after finally comparing the two side-by-side, I think the Pro offers anyone who wants to try Vans a shot a good transition from other shoe's fits/feels over to Vans.  The Pro seems like it'll last longer the original... but the real question is whether it'll get to that perfect floppy stage of perfection for about 34 hours like the original, just before they completely turn into socks? 

(this review is dedicated to SLAPpal Sweatercuff a/k/a @idealhandmades)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:01:42 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Half Cab and Half Cab Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »
Always been curious about Half Cabs, bought a set 7-8 years ago, the OG versions, brought them back next day for some eras instead.

I've been seeing a lot of complaints about Half Cab Pros specifically not holding up and even coming apart at the seams, on instagram.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/22010221_1742128976080728_4907736147045646336_n.mp4

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
Always been curious about Half Cabs, bought a set 7-8 years ago, the OG versions, brought them back next day for some eras instead.

I've been seeing a lot of complaints about Half Cab Pros specifically not holding up and even coming apart at the seams, on instagram.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/22010221_1742128976080728_4907736147045646336_n.mp4

that person should be more concerned about the coping on that ramp

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »
I'd be interested in a weight comparison. I love half cabs, but have only ever skated one pair of the pros. they were heavy as fuck compared to the originals. Unless it was my imagination, but I felt like I had a brick on each foot.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

micky682

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
I'd be interested in a weight comparison. I love half cabs, but have only ever skated one pair of the pros. they were heavy as fuck compared to the originals. Unless it was my imagination, but I felt like I had a brick on each foot.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
nice! i skated a pair of regular half cabs a few months back and they lasted surprisingly long and skated great the entire time. will def pick up the pros next time because they look even better

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »

yep this happened to my half cab pros.... they should make a wafflecup halfcab
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
I would only skate Vans pros if they fix that damn UltraCush.
Why doesn't anyone pay attention that your foot sits much higher in the Pros leading to instability and less heel lock?

Classic Half Cabs are the best shoe ever until they hit the "sock" level. After that, they're still good to skate but you're gonna need a hot bath to be able to walk the next day.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »
34 hours of goodness before sock level? I don't know about that. My experience has been they are good for the first 2 days of skating. After that, pain.
So, it's more like 10 hours.

I'm only talking about the regular ones. Never had a pro.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
Why don't they just make the regular ones about of some more durable materials?

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
Also the toe vulc has the classic arch shape to it, whereas the pro has the straight cut.
The only thing I hate about the Pros.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
I don't like the shape of the pros. it's not that same distinct halfcab silhouette that we all love.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »
when the originals hit that "sock" stage, I'll just pull the insole out down to the cardboard and then add some other insole.

same with the pro Half Cab, i've thrown in the older Ultrascush (with the gel) and they fit perfect.

GMB

• Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 04:30:39 AM »
Toe Shape

The toe of the original Half Cab (right) is much wider/rounder, while the toe of the Pro is narrower.  The Pro also has a rubber foxing stripe around it and dura-cap stuff under the suede.  When next to each other, the Half Cab looks a bit like a blown-out version of the Pro.  I dunno the science of it all, but I tend to like a narrower toe for flip tricks. 

Also, the Half Cab Pro fits snugger to the top and sides of your fore-foot, which is rad if you like a more glove-like fit, but I think the original Half Cab toe is one of the most comfortable toes in skateboarding, so I'm biased against the Pro on that aspect.

great review man. I have a size 10 original half cab, its a good shoe but too puff for me. I was thinking on getting a Pro version, but since I have ingrown toenail on both big toes I dont if the narrower toe shape will hurt. do you think its ok if I buy a 10.5? or its going to be a little big? dont like the feeling of a bigger shoe haha

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 07:18:06 PM »

I bought a pair of 10 year old half cab pros on ebay for real cheap and they seem more sturdy than the pros that vans has put out in the past 4 years

twinskates

• Rep: -24
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
Bought some half cab pro and they hurt my feet and ankles, are the standard half cabs any better?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »
fwiw, i only had non pro half cabs so far and with a better insole, they were fine. never had pros, never liked how they fit compared to standard half cabs. decent shoe, but as others have said gets pretty floppy after a few sessions.

i can't speak for the quality of the pro editions right now since my last vans pro shoe was tnt advanced that was like 4 years ago.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
Bought some half cab pro and they hurt my feet and ankles, are the standard half cabs any better?

what about them hurt your feet and ankles?  the classics will be less padded, so if your feet and ankles hurt due to impact/abuse, then the classics wont be any better.

if your feet and ankles are feeling fatigued from too tight of fit, or because the pros are stiffer in the toe/ankle area, then yea, the classics can be better because they have a much more relaxed/traditional skate-fit rather than an athletic fit like the pros. 

again, hard to say whether the classics are gonna be better for you if you dont describe the problem

twinskates

• Rep: -24
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 04:33:11 AM »
Idk they just feel weird. I hurt my ankles when flicking and also don't have much stability on them.
Bought them my size but they're slighty larger. Might be that too, but the sole padding kinda sucks tho
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:00:02 AM by twinskates »

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 06:28:32 AM »
Straight shoe bags
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
preach baby preach!
(didnt see this topic till now, but you nailed it Art)
@idealhandmades

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
I’m skating the 25th anniversary silver suede half cab pros and they are easily some of the best shoes I’ve ever had. Been going strong for Almost 2 months

Jewlien Burford

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
Do you recommend going .5 size up on the originals to cut the insole out?

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »

No.  I wear a size 10.5 in Vans (when usually an 11 in all other brands)

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 06:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No.  I wear a size 10.5 in Vans (when usually an 11 in all other brands)

yeah, stick to your normal size and just pull out the insole, been doing that for over 20 years with half cabs.  No size change.