Author Topic: Jenkem: The world the 917 video built.  (Read 9374 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3326
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Jenkem: The world the 917 video built.
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
I dug it. Yes, it required enough attention that I couldn't read it on my phone on the subway, but skate writing that you need to use your brain to produce and digest is few and far between these days. Kyle rules, and the essay he wrote about Reynolds a few years back was one of the better pieces of skate writing to come out in the last decade.

You guys don't think that a surprise video from a fashion brand taking the title of video of 2017 merits looking a little deeper into our little ecosystem?

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I often am, but 917 isn't a fashion brand, is it? BC is, but 917 isn't. Unless you're using fashion here to imply "the bleeding edge of trendy". Then I agree with you.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
kyle spends some time on 917's creation from AOs guilt about doing Bianca without giving anything back to skating... or something
you could say it's a fashion brand-borne board company
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

ckswank

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »
I honestly couldn't get through the whole thing

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 06:37:08 AM »
I honestly couldn't get through the whole thing

ibrowning

• Rep: 13
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 07:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote
I dug it. Yes, it required enough attention that I couldn't read it on my phone on the subway, but skate writing that you need to use your brain to produce and digest is few and far between these days. Kyle rules, and the essay he wrote about Reynolds a few years back was one of the better pieces of skate writing to come out in the last decade.

You guys don't think that a surprise video from a fashion brand taking the title of video of 2017 merits looking a little deeper into our little ecosystem?
[close]

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I often am, but 917 isn't a fashion brand, is it? BC is, but 917 isn't. Unless you're using fashion here to imply "the bleeding edge of trendy". Then I agree with you.

That was the fashion I was referencing. There are mad girls wearing all white and 917 hats brunching on the block near Labor now (and forever.)
A few interesting quotes but probably not new topic worthy.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »
that spot is definitively gnarly

I had no idea westgate did that

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
Logan and I grew up down the street from each other and used to skate all the time before he moved.  It's so amazing what he's done with his life.  I'm so happy for him, he's living the dream.

cheesecoffee

• Rep: 3
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
Logan and I grew up down the street from each other and used to skate all the time before he moved.  It's so amazing what he's done with his life.  I'm so happy for him, he's living the dream.
Just curious is his job basically to be the 917 team manager/ filmer?

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just curious is his job basically to be the 917 team manager/ filmer?

Yes