Author Topic: Harmony Korine  (Read 13729 times)

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Harmony Korine
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Wonder if it's because he wasn't approached by Patrick? He doesn't seem to have a reason to dislike him. Funniest part though, "He tends to blink, blocking one eye, maybe it's a mason's thing"

Serious though what's the beef
[close]

yeah its weird.  o'dell does not seem like someone who would offend anyone.  at the first sign of conflict, he's showing his belly

weird how in that video Gonz claims to not know who Patrick even is / is responsible for the show, even tho those two definitely know each other.

In addition to to shooting an ad or two of Gonz in the mid 2000s, one of Patrick's earliest Laterd episodes included a Gonz/Hosoi piece.  They even ran in the same friend circles back back in NYC - Gonz would show up semi regularly on Pat's old photo blog site. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:46:44 PM by Nancy Chin The Manicurist »

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »
Gonz’s art is lazy and celebrity driven. There, I said it.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2017, 04:59:16 PM »
I always thought Clark was very judgmental and Harmony was the opposite. Felt like Clark really 'enjoyed' punishing the kids in Kids and Bully. Kind of a "look at what these jackass kids do to themselves" thing. He even played Leo Fitzpatrick's dad in Bully and condemns him and the others in the end. Ken Park was more positive with the kids' threesome being truer than their relationships with the adults. Haven't seen his more recent ones but I've been told I'd like them.

Harmony seems like the most empathetic guy. I didn't see Spring Breakers as a satire; I thought of it and Gummo as two sides of the same coin: appreciations of both the dirtiest and poorest worlds/works of culture, and the most mainstream and 'normal.' I know he actually does like all the music in Spring Breakers.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2017, 05:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wonder if it's because he wasn't approached by Patrick? He doesn't seem to have a reason to dislike him. Funniest part though, "He tends to blink, blocking one eye, maybe it's a mason's thing"

Serious though what's the beef
[close]

yeah its weird.  o'dell does not seem like someone who would offend anyone.  at the first sign of conflict, he's showing his belly
[close]

weird how in that video Gonz claims to not know who Patrick even is / is responsible for the show, even tho those two definitely know each other.

In addition to to shooting an ad or two of Gonz in the mid 2000s, one of Patrick's earliest Laterd episodes included a Gonz/Hosoi piece.  They even ran in the same friend circles back back in NYC - Gonz would show up semi regularly on Pat's old photo blog site. 

I remember on the Epicly Later'd blog, probably like fourteen years ago, there was a photo of a drunk Mark Gonzales (possibly at Max Fish?), with a caption where Odell was saying he was being obnoxious.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2017, 08:03:56 PM »
For some reason a Gonz/O'Dell beef really bums me out.
Wish I never saw that Gonz video posted on the previous page.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

shark tits

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
i'm intrigued. does anyone think gonz was just playing a joke? obviously he knows who odell is and he didn't shit talk his work on EL.
iceman or any new yorkers shine any light?

sms_b

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Is Gonz so respected that nobody respects his opinion?

Does O'Dell have a secret toolbox full of screwdrivers that we don't know about?

Is fat bill lurking this board right now and checking in to see whether anybody is talking about him?

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -97
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
I really dug the episode, tbh I never heard about him prior to this. He comes off as being a megalomanian person, but it worked out for the better for him I guess. People saying this doesn't have to do with skating are wrong I think, his whole history of skating obviously influenced the way he looks at thinks and explains why he comes off as being a child which I don't mean in a bad way.

Anyway thanks o'Dell I really liked this season!
ohyeahohyeah

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:55 PM »
I loved the series overall but honestly didn't like this episode. The reason the Spike episode worked for me is because they had anecdotes from people "in the industry" that let me learn about skateboard history and his place in it. This one I barely knew who most of the people they were interviewing were and i feel like they missed a great opportunity for some Harold Hunter stories other than something along the lines of he was crazy like the rest of us, but the lifestyle killed him... Kind of struck a nerve the way they put it, but I'm probably just a stupid schmuck.

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2017, 02:04:00 AM »
I can definately see how they wouldnt get on - O'dell seems respectful and thoughtful - Gonz just doesn't let up - its tiring just listening to him babble on until he hits something of interest - its like that monkeys with type writers and shakespeare anecdote - YES! if you don't stop talking the law of averages says at some point you will either say something funny or interesting.