Author Topic: COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Crockett 2 and the Kyle Walker  (Read 7005 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Crockett 2 and the Kyle Walker
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:09:43 AM »
COFFEE BREAK WITH THE VANS CROCKETT 2 AND THE KYLE WALKER

I've wanted to compare the Crockett 2 to the Kyle Walker (hereinafter referred to as "Walker") for awhile now... and they're basically what I expected them each to be.  The Crockett 2 appears to be based more on the fit and feel of classic vans (which fits Gilbert's interest in vintage clothing) and the Walker is based more on the continued push towards the Pro-line and increased 'tech' 

(Crockett 2 / Walker)

Toe Shape

The Crockett 2 has both a narrower and a shallower toe than the Walker.  That's not to say that the Crockett 2 scrunches your toes from above or on the sides, rather, it fits like a glove (even on my wide feet) without constricting your precious toes.  The fit of the Crockett 2 in the toe is similar to the fit of the classic era.  The wider toe of the Walker is roomier than your average Vans Pro, but that's not to say your toes are swimming around in the toe.  It just has more room than the Crockett 2.

Sidewalls

Again, the sidewalls of the Crockett 2 are designed more like a classic Vans than the Pro line.  Like the classics, the Crockett 2 has the scalloped foxing, where the Walker has the straight cut like the rest of the Pro shoes. 

The fit along the side of the Crockett 2 is narrower, and I don't know if it's just the canvas versus the suede (Walker), but the Crockett sidewalls feel more forgiving and again form to the foot.  The Walker is very comfortable on the sides of your foot, but feels a bit boxier and when tied tight to foot, actually fatigued my foot a bit after skating in them for half an hour.  This went away as the shoes broke in after 2-3 sessions. 

Collar, Heel Lock, Insole

Again, the collar of the Crockett 2 is comparable to a classic Vans collar, but a little more contoured to your ankle (i.e. more comfortable) and the Walker 2 is thicker/padded.  The Achilles notch is a nice touch along with the pull tab.   Both shoes have the Ultracush insoles, and both shoes appear to be made to accommodate the large insole (unlike some of earlier versions of the Pros).  For me, the Walker gives a tiny bit of heel lift (probably not noticeable to the average skateboarder...I'm just a stickler for heel movement), while the Crockett 2 locks it in perfectly.  Another example of the Crockett 2 fitting similar to the classics.  The Crockett 2 also has a lower cut than the Walker.

The Tongue

The Crockett 2 tongue is a thin no-frills tongue with a center loop. 

The Walker tongue is puffier than the Crockett 2, but by no means a "puffy" tongue.  The best part is that it has elastic centering straps (which should be standard in all skate shoes!)

The Sole

The soles of the Crockett 2 and the Walker are both waffle-cup, but they both use the waffle-cup in different and interesting ways. 

The Crockett 2 has a narrower sole and gets even narrower at the arch of the foot. This makes it have a more glove like fit and maybe has an effect on the weight of the shoe.  I dunno if the hiking-boot like ridges on the bottom do anything for grip, but it looks pretty cool.  Also, I don't know whether the solid heel does anything for impact or grip, but again, it's cool Vans did something different with the sole compared to the Crockett and the Walker. The Crockett 2 also has a score in the sole at the arch, where the Walker has scores at the toe and heel.  Despite both using the Ultracush, the Walker has a much thicker and heavier sole, which dampens the boardfeel, but doesnt completely kill it. 

Final Thoughts

The Crockett 2 and the Walker are very different shoes, which is a nice change of pace for Vans.  The Crockett 2 is definitely the better choice for anyone who skates Classics and wants to give the waffle-cup a try.  The Walker is the better choice for someone coming over from another brand and wanting to give Vans a try for the first time, or someone who is a Vans fan but wants to give their feet, knees, and hips a break from the abuse of vulcs.  Looking ahead to the Ultrarange and reading a past interview with Kyle where he says something akin to "I don't want some foam shit in my shoes", the Walker may have originally been slated to be a bit more tech than it turned out.  Anyways, both make great use of the waffle-cup.   

*Despite this review reading like I prefer the Crockett 2, I've actually been skating in the Walker more.  For what that's worth. *

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:23:04 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
Re: COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Crockett 2 and the Kyle Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
Good explanation of the two, I dig these reviews - keep em up

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
Nicely done! Good comparison
ableSkateMag.com

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
Spent a good amount of time debating the two and went with the walker for three reasons:

Cupped my heel better
Didn't feel as narrow in the toe box
Felt a bit more padded

The crockett felt nice aside from the aforementioned, had a sightlier beefier SPV feel.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
I've had both and much prefer the Walker shoe over the Crockett's. Contrary to your review, I found the Kyle Walker to feel much narrower and overall more solid and supportive, where I found the Crockett to be a bit wider and flop out easier as time went on. The higher ankle support is definitely something I noticed(and welcomed) from the Walker to the Crockett.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
I've had both and much prefer the Walker shoe over the Crockett's. Contrary to your review, I found the Kyle Walker to feel much narrower and overall more solid and supportive, where I found the Crockett to be a bit wider and flop out easier as time went on. The higher ankle support is definitely something I noticed(and welcomed) from the Walker to the Crockett.

totally agree.

havent skated the Crockett enough yet re: flop out easier.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »
These are great Art! Keep em coming!
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

coneklr

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
You're killing it man!  Nice work!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 113
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
Good review.

It's appreciated.
Enjoy your life.

Chuck Gender

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:53:13 AM »
Great reviews, keep them coming!
I recently skated my crocketts 2 for the first time (my feet need cupsoles) and I was pleasantly surprised. The Walkers feel way more supportive though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 02:43:57 AM »
why can't the crocket 2 be all canvas and/or rapid weld toecap :(

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 03:18:55 AM »
I got the Quasi pack and there jacquard and rapid weld. Pity they only made 800 of them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got the Quasi pack and there jacquard and rapid weld. Pity they only made 800 of them.
oops that's right. tbh quasi weren't really on my radar when they came out and by now I'm sure the price has already doubled on eBay

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

patob

• Rep: -6
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:25 AM »
Nice review!!!!!
IMO The Kwalker its more durable, and the Crockett offer more boardfeel.
Vans is doing a great job with this shoes.
 :) :) :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 07:59:04 AM »
Those pink Kyle Walkers look too good. I really should have gotten a pair. 🤔

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
oops that's right. tbh quasi weren't really on my radar when they came out and by now I'm sure the price has already doubled on eBay

anyone have a pic of the quasi pack?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
Those pink Kyle Walkers look too good. I really should have gotten a pair. 🤔

I went with what I could find on sale. Hard to beat ~50$ - I really wanted the purple ones.

Oddly enough, I have a heal bruise from ollieing some semi-tall shit out of a bank, didn't realize it at the time (friday) but Sat/Sun was rough, thankfully it subsided; Given how snug they are in the heel, and the cushion, a rogue heal bruise seemed unlikely (and I wasn't going crazy high maybe 3.5' to flat).

GMB

• Rep: 8
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 05:52:31 AM »
great review!

is the toe shape of the kyle walker pro much narrow than the original/regular half cabs? any regular size 10 vans fits good to me but I always wonder if all the pro shoes have this narrower toe shape and Im really looking foward to the k walks, they look sick

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
Another good write-up. QQ though, How are the sizing on these guys? I'm assuming true to size.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 12:06:44 PM »
great review!

is the toe shape of the kyle walker pro much narrow than the original/regular half cabs? any regular size 10 vans fits good to me but I always wonder if all the pro shoes have this narrower toe shape and Im really looking foward to the k walks, they look sick

It's not all the way a 'pointy' toe, but it was narrower than I expected. Not very similar to the non-pro Half Cab shape at all. I had to really work to stretch them out before my toes were comfortable in them.

GMB

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
It's not all the way a 'pointy' toe, but it was narrower than I expected. Not very similar to the non-pro Half Cab shape at all. I had to really work to stretch them out before my toes were comfortable in them.

got it. you think its ok if I order a 10.5? the problem is I have ingrown nail in both big toes and dont like shoes bigger than my size haha. thats my dilemma, cause this kwalks just looks perfect

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 11:34:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

got it. you think its ok if I order a 10.5? the problem is I have ingrown nail in both big toes and dont like shoes bigger than my size haha. thats my dilemma, cause this kwalks just looks perfect

If you have any sort of toenail issue don't get the walkers. While I don't have ingrown nails, I do have nails that sort of curve like them so they do dig in a little...anyway...these shoe irritates the fuck out of them and they really are narrow (I also have to wear really thin socks) and they don't seem to want to flatten out even after wearing them a shiton both on and off the board; but I fucking love the heelock. Like it's mentioned above, they are no where near the shape of half cabs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:07:11 PM by Xen »

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 01:50:00 PM »
Edit: wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:54:11 AM by Hypnotoad »

GMB

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
so I think Ill pass this one, altought thats a beautiful shoe haha

Donald Rump

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 01:24:28 AM »
Onto my second pair of Walkers, really like them but when new they do pinch my little toe on both feet but not enough to make them uncomfortable. After a few wears all is good.

Vans have done well with the sole on this shoe, I find them nice and stable. I tried skating half cab pros after not skating Vans for yonks and they felt very unstable and way to grippy. The sole in the heel area is too narrow, I hated them for skating.

The Walkers fit tts for me, I hope they keep making them for years to come.

Oh, great review.