Author Topic: Tom Penny  (Read 17180 times)

PincherBug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
Tom Penny
« on: October 31, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »
I always find myself calling this guy out for being so nerdy but I also find myself watching some of his videos.  He does good research on his topics from time to time.  I liked this one alot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FvKycuMfs

Art_Vanderlay

• Rep: 23
Re: Tom Penny
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »
Poindexter Yes.

But enjoyed the video.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 03:26:28 AM »
this dude is such a nerd, but he's infinitely better than the revive dudes

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -96
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 03:59:25 AM »
yo this guy is a nerd
ohyeahohyeah

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 06:42:12 AM »
  So much history in skating.  People who interview the girl team over the years are dick riders or else they'd ask carrol or chico bout the penny phenomena.  Those guys are fully part of the Tom penny legend.  They got shitted on.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20:47 AM »
this dude is such a nerd, but he's infinitely better than the reMive dudes

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 12:15:30 PM »
It's great that he put that much of effort into this

also somebody in the comments linked this. All hail Penny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7apC0A6F8Q

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 04:26:40 PM »
Calling a grown man out for being "nerdy"? What are you guys, 15? Fuck outta here with that shit.  ::)

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »
I have nothing but respect for this guy, he is doing more research than anyone else in skateboarding. I have no ideas where he is getting these rumours from you can't just google that stuff.

Skate nerd Rad Rat vs. Roger Bagley

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Calling a grown man out for being "nerdy"? What are you guys, 15? Fuck outta here with that shit.  ::)

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »

Wow, I can't believe that much Penny footage has eluded me until now.  Some of those clips are really good, and the rest just make me happy because he always looks so mellow.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
I have nothing but respect for this guy, he is doing more research than anyone else in skateboarding. I have no ideas where he is getting these rumours from you can't just google that stuff.

that episode would be long as shit because they would correct the questions, still would watch it though

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »
rad rat is the best

shark tits

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
shame on all of you for calling tom penny a nerd!
you just weren't there when the shit hit the fan in 95.
nice rad rat video btw

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
  So much history in skating.  People who interview the girl team over the years are dick riders or else they'd ask carrol or chico bout the penny phenomena.  Those guys are fully part of the Tom penny legend.  They got shitted on.

What are you talking about?

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow, I can't believe that much Penny footage has eluded me until now.  Some of those clips are really good, and the rest just make me happy because he always looks so mellow.

Agreed. Some of the clips were incredible, especially the backtail to drop and the way he completely ignored that super aggressive dog twice when he did the downhill line.

Also, Radrat rules, I like that he manages to do a kind of we'll-informed skateboarding criticism/scholarship/research without taking himself too seriously.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 01:47:52 AM »
Some of the comments below that video.

'm surprised you didn't tell the story that Bam tells about Tom. They're at a contest somewhere and they were walking around outside and Tom was wearing his signature Timberlands and baggy pants. They saw some kid skating near an 8 stair on this rickety Walmart board that was falling apart under the weight of a little kid who couldn't even skate.       Tom asked to borrow the board. Ran up the stairs, rolled up and did a frontside flip over the rail down the eight stair. First try. On a Walmart board. In Timberlands.

Code: [Select]
RAT FACT :
At Radlands most of the American pro's where calling him names and the girl team were even spitting on him !! He then won the comp EASY which shut them all the fuck up ....... The smerk on his face after he switch fs flipped the pryamid tells a million words ( fuck you lot )

I saw Tom Penny at a skate store in Los Angeles in 1998. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen packets of bearings in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bearing packets and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Pretty good summary for the young generation I'd say. Here's my personal sighting: at the first Lausanne contest in 96 (I think). He got fourth after Koston, Chris Senn and other heayweights but what struck me is that 1, he was drinking beer (a lot....) during the contest and 2, he never warmed up. Like he would sit on his board for 45 minutes, get up when he was called and just do his run and rip the course, with no warm-up whatsoever. Also him and another pro (Kareem maybe ? I’m not sure) did a sort of hippie jump over the car that was on the course, with the board flying through both windows. The other pro ate shit a few times but Penny landed it like perfect the firt time he decided to commit. A few years later I saw him again at a demo in Paris (Glissexpo) and it was pretty much the same show all over again. Living legend for sure.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 05:09:15 AM »
The through-the-car hippie jump was with Tyrone Olson oddly enough. The second one is sadly a copy/paste but Penny is definitely worried about electrical infetterence.

The saddest thing nobody talks about is how his style died so young.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 05:32:11 AM »
You are right, the car hippie jump was somewhere in the UK if I remember correctly.
Same contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgbfigoEqU8

shark tits

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 05:51:29 AM »
i thought it was clyde who did the car hippie jump too?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 06:08:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are you talking about?
   In the legend of tom penny allegedly the girl team were spitting on him at the contest where he dominated (radlands? you can see in the 411 that covered that contest bill weiss basically says "fuck the haters  Penny is better than you" which seemed to me in retrospect, a reference to the girl team)  Those girl/emb guys were untouchable and Penny out did them without lowering himself.  Chico is one of my favorite skaters and I'd honestly think it would be interesting to hear those dudes' perspective on the Penny thing.  And well after Penny "lost his style" (heroin) he was still putting out footage that put him in a class by himself, it just seemed weird at the time cause we could all see the style wasn't the same as it was in 94/95 (imo)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »
I though it was only Sanchez who actually did any spitting, Chico mentioned about vibing him but quickly being converted no? Vibing was actually a reality back then especially with the EMB few so I wouldn’t be surprised but anyway...
Thread the needle through the car is in a 411 no?
I’m a Penny fan till the end, say what you want about him and his current style but you could still put him on a mini ramp on any given day at 40+ and he’ll still blow minds. That hot rod demo/ party story is still my favorite and I can almost visualize it clearly in my mind every time I hear it
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:04:03 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »
Not that it matters but is/was there any clips or photo of Penny skating the East Coast?

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
I posted this 2 days ago in the mothafuckin appreciation thread.
Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InVSKlJdIK0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW4OQavBGo0
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 08:16:31 AM »
I though it was only Sanchez who actually did any spitting, Chico mentioned about vibing him but quickly being converted no? Vibing was actually a reality back then especially with the EMB few so I wouldn’t be surprised but anyway...
Thread the needle through the car is in a 411 no?
I’m a Penny fan till the end, say what you want about him and his current style but you could still put him on a mini ramp on any given day at 40+ and he’ll still blow minds. That hot rod demo/ party story is still my favorite and I can almost visualize it clearly in my mind every time I hear it
  Sanchez is the only dude I'd give a pass for that.  He's famous for being a dick and for what and how much he brought to skateboarding compared to how little he's gotten back.

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »

Pretty much all from this article: http://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/calm-cool-and-carefree-the-legend-of-tom-penny/

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
i thought it was clyde who did the car hippie jump too?
Tom Penny and Tyrone Olson

A MAN

• Rep: 68
    • SKATE TIT avatar image
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »

Expand Quote
I saw Tom Penny at a skate store in Los Angeles in 1998. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen packets of bearings in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bearing packets and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
[close]

Just in case somehow people did forever link this story with Tom. This is a dumb internet joke: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-saw-flying-lotus-in-a-grocery-store-copypasta

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 01:13:16 PM »

Expand Quote
Pretty good summary for the young generation I'd say. Here's my personal sighting: at the first Lausanne contest in 96 (I think). He got fourth after Koston, Chris Senn and other heayweights but what struck me is that 1, he was drinking beer (a lot....) during the contest and 2, he never warmed up. Like he would sit on his board for 45 minutes, get up when he was called and just do his run and rip the course, with no warm-up whatsoever. Also him and another pro (Kareem maybe ? I’m not sure) did a sort of hippie jump over the car that was on the course, with the board flying through both windows. The other pro ate shit a few times but Penny landed it like perfect the firt time he decided to commit. A few years later I saw him again at a demo in Paris (Glissexpo) and it was pretty much the same show all over again. Living legend for sure.
[close]

ha that was my comment! And yes it was Clyde Singleton, I wasn't sure. The line-up was so epic for that contest: Petersen, Donny Bradley, Koston, Carroll, Rick Howard, Burnquist, Hufnagel, Chris Senn, Fred Gall, Tim Brauch (RIP), Kareem, Singleton etc etc... it was nuts watching them all on the course!
But that hippie jump was at Lausanne Switzerland, not in the UK. Or did he do it twice?
anyways here's the 411, it starts at 25'21....but the hippie jump is unfortunately not included

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60o2bYZEATc

coneklr

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
Was the hippie jump in Life in the Fastlane?  It's been forever so I can't remember for sure but maybe?