Author Topic: Moving to Miami  (Read 1155 times)

jjr5414

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Moving to Miami
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »
Yo just move from Puerto Rico to Miami, Living in North Miami Need a new board and stuff. What skate shop should I go shit to buy my stuff. And where are good spots to skate? Miami skate friendly place or na? 

have just Skated PR and State college, PA looking forward for to this shit

93toinfinity

• Rep: -6
Re: Moving to Miami
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:22:55 PM »
Look up "Lot 11" and you won't be disappointed.  The city approved an DIY park below the highway and lock it at night so kooks and bums don't fuck with it.  Nice mini ramp and great street obstacles to skate
"Apologies aren't part of the Thrasher credo, unlike inhaling whippets and shooting h which I do every day."
-Jake Phelps 2017

ohtight

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
Omni skatepark is smaller than lot11 but still super fun. I actually prefer it but both are definitely worth checking out. MIA skateshop closed down a few months ago so the new Miami skateshop is Andrew.
zzz

artless

• Rep: 22
  • PFFT!
    • PFFT! skate stuff avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
I second Andrew. Go check it.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »
funny thing is I've been down to miami to skate a good bit and have never been to any parks besides that one that was torn down... the tranny was black, but i can't remember the name of it..

RIP MIA Skateshop

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
Slightly hijacking this, but what is living in Miami like?

I'm considering moving there after I get out of school. What's the skate scene like? Job market? Housing? Is it easy to get around when street skating? Etc.

Nico365

• Rep: -4
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 04:46:16 AM »
When it boils down to the diversity that people always mention when talking about Miami, and by extension Miami-Dade County, there actually isn't any. It's very heavily Hispanic. I have enjoyed my time in Miami, but like many have said, experiences vary greatly. I had friends who lived in severely poor neighborhoods and friends who drove Audis and lived in relative mansions...and these areas are literally an overpass away from one another. Miami is an incredible city!! and it has a salsa flavor!

Nico365

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:48:35 AM »
 And please check out Miami Homestead Ultraskate. It's an annual skateboard race.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
Yeah omni and lot 11 have been covered. For more options, there's also a few city parks with an area off to the side for skating. These are fairly ok, not worth a long drive but alright for a visit if you're close by. At least you can skate a nice ledge in peace.

http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/search-results.asp?type=activities

Pick skating from the dropdown but click on each one for the park phone number. They'll on occasion do some maintenance work so just make sure it isn't closed that day.