Author Topic: First Good Board Advice  (Read 1869 times)

Vleggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
First Good Board Advice
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
What's up guys, so i'm very new to skating and got a Walmart board just a few months ago. I just learned to skate it, I'm having loads of fun just cruising around the town but the trucks don't turn, the wheels don't spin, and yeah. So I have been thinking of picking up a new board and found a few boards that looks decent to me and I would like to hear what you guys think is a good board I don't know any tricks or anything. Girl Complete: https://www.tactics.com/girl/mike-mo-93-til-80-complete-skateboard/teal Powell Complete: https://www.tactics.com/powell-peralta/ripper-80-complete-skateboard/storm-red  Flip Board: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Flip_HKD_Black_Complete/descpage-FLHKDBMP.html Custom Complete in the png attachment.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: First Good Board Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
^no I think they suck personally.  But way better than your wall mart board.  So..  You'll prolly rip on one of those^   But I would get it all separate.  Get bones red bearings.  And after market bones bushings (med?).   And get 54 chargers spitfires, they are softer and will let you skate everywhere and that's fun to do when you're learning.  You might have a style that 8 inch wide boards is fine for.  But maybe check out the blind jason lee (i think tactics has that) which is wider but still has a short wheel base, that board is good with the ace 66's trucks or indy 169s  Maybe better for starting?  That Kader kid is small and rides a huge board.     And don't listen to Dill.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:04:23 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Vleggy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:12:49 AM »
Yeah, I know those name brands but I'm more on a budget.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Minilogo trucks will be fine for you. Just get that board. Don't worry about your gear, you'll get re-obsessed with it later.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Minilogo trucks will be fine for you. Just get that board. Don't worry about your gear, you'll get re-obsessed with it later.
Hey Vieggy, don't mind him^ he's just being a joker.  The flip and the girl you've got up there have bullet trucks which are fine.  The mini logos that the powell come with are actually known to break and hurt people so I wouldn't actually get those.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:02:05 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Hey Vieggy, don't mind him^ he's just being a joker.  The flip and the girl you've got up there have bullet trucks which are fine.  The mini logos that the powell come with are actually known to break and hurt people so I wouldn't actually get those.

He's right I don't give a shit if either of you stop existing

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

He's right I don't give a shit if either of you stop existing
     Well I'm not exactly sure how you demonstrated that today.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
Not sure what your budget situation is but if you see yourself skating longterm I think you should invest in a good pair of trucks.  In my view Independent, Thunder, Venture, Ace, and Krux are all solid and will last a year plus(I skate a few times a week and am still riding a pair of Independents I got used three years ago).  You might have to pay a few more dollars now but to me this is the most important part of your setup.  Paying for brand name decks, wheels or bearings doesn't really make sense to me for a first setup(it's hard to distinguish lower-end from higher-end product when you're just starting).  I fumbled around on that Skatewarehouse complete builder and came up with this:

It came in at $75 and unless you're doing a ton of powerslides or stair sets it should last you awhile(you might have to replace the bearings after a while but if you maintain them they can last as long as you need them too).
Just my 2 cents and hope you continue to have fun/progress regardless.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:23:07 PM »
What's up guys, so i'm very new to skating and got a Walmart board just a few months ago. I just learned to skate it, I'm having loads of fun just cruising around the town but the trucks don't turn, the wheels don't spin, and yeah. So I have been thinking of picking up a new board and found a few boards that looks decent to me and I would like to hear what you guys think is a good board I don't know any tricks or anything. Girl Complete: https://www.tactics.com/girl/mike-mo-93-til-80-complete-skateboard/teal Powell Complete: https://www.tactics.com/powell-peralta/ripper-80-complete-skateboard/storm-red  Flip Board: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Flip_HKD_Black_Complete/descpage-FLHKDBMP.html Custom Complete in the png attachment.
Of the 3 you posted, I’d take the Girl but the cat who posted above me has it right: you’ll trash the deck just starting out; no need to blow much money on it. Trucks are the only part of your set-up that will last long term with regular skating. They’ll last you a few set ups, so upgrading would be a good idea, in my opinion. I’d also recommend Bones Reds for bearings, but if money’s an issue, its not a big deal. Checking out shops in your area would be a good idea, too.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:28:44 PM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

Vleggy

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
Not sure what your budget situation is but if you see yourself skating longterm I think you should invest in a good pair of trucks.  In my view Independent, Thunder, Venture, Ace, and Krux are all solid and will last a year plus(I skate a few times a week and am still riding a pair of Independents I got used three years ago).  You might have to pay a few more dollars now but to me this is the most important part of your setup.  Paying for brand name decks, wheels or bearings doesn't really make sense to me for a first setup(it's hard to distinguish lower-end from higher-end product when you're just starting).  I fumbled around on that Skatewarehouse complete builder and came up with this:

It came in at $75 and unless you're doing a ton of powerslides or stair sets it should last you awhile(you might have to replace the bearings after a while but if you maintain them they can last as long as you need them too).
Just my 2 cents and hope you continue to have fun/progress regardless.

Just made another custom would this be decent since I don't really like those colors and stuff.

SlapReviewer18

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »
You really should go to a skate shop. I would suggest getting a complete and learn on that and as you progress you can change the board, then the trucks and so on.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:17 PM »
The mini logo bearings are good for the price. I’d get the 144 independent trucks like the guy above recommended. 8.25 is a good size for a deck, and get bones stf 54 or spitfire conicals f4 because they are fun wheels