Author Topic: Vans doesn't want to lose it's alt right racist consumers.  (Read 19898 times)

Hands down Hass out

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
Re: Vans doesn't want to lose it's alt right racist consumers.
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have only just recently learned that that swastika logo isn't just associated with Nazis, but before then was actually used in India for completely different reasons.

I know this because I saw a swastika above the cash register at an Indian supermarket so I asked the guy why it was there. It raises a good question: Is it okay for them to use it if they were completely unaware of how it was used throughout WW2? The worker didn't know it had anything to do with Hitler.

I think in Australia in 2017, the swastika is primarily associated with killing jews so ummmm fuck no we shouldn't use it, even if you are unaware. Not in a public place at least.
[close]
So you're saying a symbol that has been around for thousands of years can't be displayed by someone from the culture it originates from because it was appropriated by Nazis? Ok man. You should go back there and tell him that.
[close]

No what I mean is that you can't just use these symbols as you please hence why I said 'not in a public place at least'

Would it be okay for this guy to wear a swastika in a Jewish community? No. Would it be okay to use in India? Yeah, probably.

Footscray btw
[close]

Nah man. If it originated from his culture that's his right. It's your and everyone else's job to do your research and not make assumptions. Buddy doesn't have to explain shit if he doesn't want to.

bump ben k skinhead thread

ImportantGuy

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
Expand Quote
You'll never get those nollie heel crooks down with an attitude like that.
[close]
  gnared
Go fuck yourself.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:19 PM »
He doesn't need Vans's permission. I went to school with a few neo-nazis who wore Vans when not in Docs.

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
He doesn't need Vans's permission. I went to school with a few neo-nazis who wore Vans when not in Docs.

well thats all the proof i needed

Hastings

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 03:01:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have only just recently learned that that swastika logo isn't just associated with Nazis, but before then was actually used in India for completely different reasons.

I know this because I saw a swastika above the cash register at an Indian supermarket so I asked the guy why it was there. It raises a good question: Is it okay for them to use it if they were completely unaware of how it was used throughout WW2? The worker didn't know it had anything to do with Hitler.

I think in Australia in 2017, the swastika is primarily associated with killing jews so ummmm fuck no we shouldn't use it, even if you are unaware. Not in a public place at least.
[close]
So you're saying a symbol that has been around for thousands of years can't be displayed by someone from the culture it originates from because it was appropriated by Nazis? Ok man. You should go back there and tell him that.
[close]

No what I mean is that you can't just use these symbols as you please hence why I said 'not in a public place at least'

Would it be okay for this guy to wear a swastika in a Jewish community? No. Would it be okay to use in India? Yeah, probably.

Footscray btw
[close]

Nah man. If it originated from his culture that's his right. It's your and everyone else's job to do your research and not make assumptions. Buddy doesn't have to explain shit if he doesn't want to.
[close]

Just because it originated from his culture doesn't mean it's okay to use in a public space. The swastika originated from German culture, that doesn't make it okay to use does it? If it is everyone's job to do research then how is this guy not at fault? Over five million Jews were killed it was the largest genocide of all time. This guy was completely unaware but for some reason you are targeting me for not doing my research?

Not sure if you are trolling but...

The one on the left is still used around the world quite a bit, wishing good luck/peace with no problems.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 04:51:49 AM »
When you go to the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen there are these massive stone carved elephants outside and some of them have the the Buddhist style swazzi carved on them. Do you think someone should censor them?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2017, 05:08:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
  gnared
[close]
Go fuck yourself.
  fine, I thought your response was funny there mean guy..
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Footscray btw
[close]

[close]

Just because it originated from his culture doesn't mean it's okay to use in a public space. The swastika originated from German culture, that doesn't make it okay to use does it? If it is everyone's job to do research then how is this guy not at fault? Over five million Jews were killed it was the largest genocide of all time. This guy was completely unaware but for some reason you are targeting me for not doing my research?
[close]

The one on the left is still used around the world quite a bit, wishing good luck/peace with no problems.
Good thing your around friend.  Theres alot of misinformation and people condemming the swatiska.  It is obviously a very important to educate people of its fuckin buddist origin because we don't have bigger problems right now than the swatiska being slandered.    edit in all truthfulness its true that one man fucked up a symbol AND a mustache style for everyone.  Or you can choose to fly in the face of that and get the half inch mustache in the middle and make some tshirts ^out of you're swatiska awareness poster.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:46:56 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »

ImportantGuy

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
  gnared
[close]
Go fuck yourself.
[close]
Yeah it would have been funnier in person, sorry :( I was just kidding.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
  gnared
[close]
Go fuck yourself.
[close]
[close]

Yeah it would have been funnier in person, sorry :( I was just kidding.
  gnared again!  (edit  i have to wait apparently , I have gnared to much in 24 hrs(?)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:06:57 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2017, 07:07:23 AM »
I must be missing something about that graphic because it seems pretty trite to me. Is it supposed to be a smart phone or something?

ImportantGuy

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
I must be missing something about that graphic because it seems pretty trite to me. Is it supposed to be a smart phone or something?
I feel so dumb when I have no idea whether someone is joking or not..

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »
You guys really need to familiarize yourself with ManWoman. All will become clear.

ImportantGuy

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »
You guys really need to familiarize yourself with ManWoman. All will become clear.

Wow. I think it's fair to say this dude was ahead of the curve. Thanks for that. His arms look fucking sick.

Little Debbie

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »
just change the stitching on the shoe and the sole pattern and call it a day. if Vans can't find themselves implicated, then it's just up to Jim to OK the graphic, no?

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow. I think it's fair to say this dude was ahead of the curve. Thanks for that. His arms look fucking sick.

No problem. I'm a bit of an expert on swazis. One time returning to Canada after a road trip to the US, I got pulled aside and had to give the border guard a history lesson on the difference between gentle swazis and nazi swazis because I had a picture of a swazi pizza on my phone.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Footscray btw
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Good thing your around friend.  Theres alot of misinformation and people condemming the swatiska.  It is obviously a very important to educate people of its fuckin buddist origin because we don't have bigger problems right now than the swatiska being slandered.    edit in all truthfulness its true that one man fucked up a symbol AND a mustache style for everyone.  Or you can choose to fly in the face of that and get the half inch mustache in the middle and make some tshirts ^out of you're swatiska awareness poster.

Little fun fact but Bruce Lee has the one on the left on his casket.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Pretty Serious

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »

Not to mention a perfectly good name.

shark tits

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
the hairstyle made a comeback recently, i have faith the mustache will have it's day.
of all hitler's mannerisms i think seig-ing heil looks the coolest. that's how a woman should greet her husband when gets home from a hard days' work. or after you land a trick you've been battling. beats hell out of 'yeeew' or 'yiiip'.
alas, richard spencer set it back 20 yrs seiging heil to trump.
i think the way to mainstream is it to use it as a cheer for a black player. 'heil jordan'.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2017, 01:18:38 PM »
There's a lot of history lessons given on this dudes jewelry instagram when posts rings with swazis on em' and such.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BY0wp_iHOFn/
Even after people get learned they see one and get pissed. I understand both sides, but we're decades away from appropriating in the light it was originated

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2017, 02:10:26 PM »
 Not giving a penny to Z even though that shirt is sick.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
racism/fascism is wack, but so is this graphic

just because its polarizing or ethically-aligned doesnt mean its good. maybe whoever vetoed the graphic was just avoiding saying they didnt like it?

i imagine this hanging behind the bar at some hipster cafe.

sorry to the artist, its cleanly done, but i find it generic in a way that a vans logo isnt gonna mend

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »

just because its polarizing or ethically-aligned doesnt mean its good. maybe whoever vetoed the graphic was just avoiding saying they didnt like it?

sorry to the artist, its cleanly done, but i find it generic in a way that a vans logo isnt gonna mend

I don't think real's art department give a shit what the art is like. I've been looking at ovals for the last 10 years. They have got to be the most recognisable company that still has the most generic graphics

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGB5T_lUUa/?taken-by=refugesk8shop

We should all get behind this message. Stomping out Ben K will definitely improve the skate industry

ImportantGuy

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2017, 06:37:07 PM »

Compared to anything done by Blind, Plan-B, Almost, a lot of companies I can't think of right now cause I'm drunk, and 98% of what Real usually does, it's pretty cool.

I like that it takes a risk, too. Reminds me of 90's graphics.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Compared to anything done by Blind, Plan-B, Almost, a lot of companies I can't think of right now cause I'm drunk, and 98% of what Real usually does, it's pretty cool.

true thats its better than a lot of real graphics, but that aint saying much. i thought of the 90s too, but this lacks the humour somehow, unless im just not getting it. you spell real purty for a drunk

ImportantGuy

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

true thats its better than a lot of real graphics, but that aint saying much. i thought of the 90s too, but this lacks the humour somehow, unless im just not getting it. you spell real purty for a drunk
I'm buzzed, not drunk (sounded cooler I guess).

There's nothing to get as this isn't a joke. We got a racism/fascism problem. Might as well talk about it.