Author Topic: Vans doesn't want to lose it's alt right racist consumers.  (Read 19880 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Vans doesn't want to lose it's alt right racist consumers.
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2017, 01:07:18 AM »
Expand Quote
racism/fascism is wack, but so is this graphic

just because its polarizing or ethically-aligned doesnt mean its good. maybe whoever vetoed the graphic was just avoiding saying they didnt like it?

i imagine this hanging behind the bar at some hipster cafe.

sorry to the artist, its cleanly done, but i find it generic in a way that a vans logo isnt gonna mend
[close]
Compared to anything done by Blind, Plan-B, Almost, a lot of companies I can't think of right now cause I'm drunk, and 98% of what Real usually does, it's pretty cool.

I like that it takes a risk, too. Reminds me of 90's graphics.
I guarantee you didn't skate in the 90's, did you?

ImportantGuy

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2017, 04:02:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
racism/fascism is wack, but so is this graphic

just because its polarizing or ethically-aligned doesnt mean its good. maybe whoever vetoed the graphic was just avoiding saying they didnt like it?

i imagine this hanging behind the bar at some hipster cafe.

sorry to the artist, its cleanly done, but i find it generic in a way that a vans logo isnt gonna mend
[close]
Compared to anything done by Blind, Plan-B, Almost, a lot of companies I can't think of right now cause I'm drunk, and 98% of what Real usually does, it's pretty cool.

I like that it takes a risk, too. Reminds me of 90's graphics.
[close]
I guarantee you didn't skate in the 90's, did you?
No I did not. I started pushing around in 1999 (I'm 27). It just seemed like there were a lot more brands doing weird shit judging by the old ads I see today. False nostalgia?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:10:54 AM by ImportantGuy »

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2017, 04:05:18 AM »
Siding against nazi's is risqué now? Maybe this graphic is more needed than I thought then.

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2017, 07:54:05 AM »
My friend Peter had these t's made up recently, seems an apt place to post a picture
https://www.instagram.com/p/BY8PFh7nuUm/?taken-by=thesplintercell

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
  Hey this quote is from an friend, I don't think it embodies all of slap but it does speak to many discourses on here- "I'm sick of cis men treating conversations as contests as if oppression is merely entertainment"  (I realize tho its part of the fun but it can retardify outcomes)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
  Hey this quote is from an friend, I don't think it embodies all of slap but it does speak to many discourses on here- "I'm sick of cis men treating conversations as contests as if oppression is merely entertainment"  (I realize tho its part of the fun but it can retardify outcomes)

and I'm sick of people treating their subjects of entertainment as though they were strictly political. Too many fake radicals these days. Whoever mentioned that the swaz looked like an iphone, that would actually be interesting to me, some sort of commentary on the place fascism occupies in modern times.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and I'm sick of people treating their subjects of entertainment as though they were strictly political. Too many fake radicals these days. Whoever mentioned that the swaz looked like an iphone, that would actually be interesting to me, some sort of commentary on the place fascism occupies in modern times.
\
  Ya know, the title of this thread pretty much spells out that the subject is political.  I didn't say anything radical imo.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:37:46 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
\
  Ya know, the title of this thread pretty much spells out that the subject is political.  I didn't say anything radical imo.

my comments were in response to your friend's quote, I'll try and clarify:
the question of a graphic's artistic merit is not in competition with a discussion of its politics, that's a false dichotomy.
Claiming the type of moral authority that automatically invalidates somebody's else's right to engage in a conversation is a radical position.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:42:20 PM by botefdunn »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
\
[close]

the question of a graphic's artistic merit is not in competition with a discussion of its politics, that's a false dichotomy.
Claiming the type of moral authority that automatically invalidates somebody's else's right to engage in a conversation is a radical position.

I'm  literally too stupid to understand your response. -That's not sarcasm or a dis  She seems smart and I bet she would.  Edit; Also to her credit I took it out of a larger context.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:16:28 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
\
[close]

[close]

I'm  literally too stupid to understand your response. -That's not sarcasm or a dis  She seems smart and I bet she would.

just tell her I was triggered

ImportantGuy

« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »
So can we agree that the graphic could be a lot better but that its subject matter is super relevant and needs to be talked about? Shit's getting outta hand.

Edit : can we agree that we know nothing and literally everything we say that isn't directly tied to our survival is mental masturbation?
I've never been so unsure of anything.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:17:47 PM by ImportantGuy »

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2017, 02:56:26 AM »
Nazis aren't relevant, neither is fascism. Its a grab for brownie points for people who live in the social media world.

ImportantGuy

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2017, 03:42:52 AM »
Nazis aren't relevant, neither is fascism. Its a grab for brownie points for people who live in the social media world.
Wellllllllll, I mean... Speaking against  fascism will be relevant as long as there is war. There is still war, right?

Double Pegasus

• Rep: 6
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:06 AM »

when was the last time you saw the news?

cant believe vans want to keep the customers that would feel alienated by this graphic; condemning nazis and the alt right is just about the least controversial thing you can do in 2017

i would say i wont buy anymore shoes from them but i already quit after they started gluing only the bottom of their outsole, haven't had a pair last longer than 4 weeks since 2016

D. Bag

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
So much this.

It's as if the media would have you believe there's about to be a Klan uprising in every city across the nation, when the only militant ones demanding you abide by the rules or suffer are the same people pushing this tired meme.

Nazis suck, and social justice Antifa-style kooks who are the polar opposite suck as well, I'd like to toss 'em all in a hole and bury them all alive so we can never deal with either extreme again.  Someone needs to make a graphic of that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
There was this rumor circulating around Israel for years that Vans was antisemitic because it has a star of david pattern on the sole and when you write Vans on a hebrew keyboard without switching language it says "destroy" in hebrew. but why would vans use a hebrew keyboard anyway when they named it like 40 years ago?
this is also a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFLTS1FKCc

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »
What is this "cis" bullshit?
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »
What is this "cis" bullshit?

I don't know what cis is, I was quoting my friend, - you don't know what is but ur out of the gate with calling it "bullshit"?   -why?

shark tits

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2017, 03:28:54 PM »
cis is a prefix that usually comes before some heterophobic comments.
'cis men make me sick'.
it means like hetero, born w/ a penis men. or women but usually it's always 'cis men' or 'cis white men' and their entitlement [being said by an entitled college educated person].

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »
'cis men make me sick'.
it means like hetero, born w/ a penis men. or women but usually it's always 'cis men' or 'cis white men' and their entitlement [being said by an entitled college educated person].

The way your using the  term 'heterophobic' makes it sound like it's an epidemic.  Like heterosexuals lives are in danger like gay peoples are.  -But I see alot of twisted fuckn shit said on the internet.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
   treating conversations as contests as if oppression is merely entertainment"

shark tits

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
Expand Quote
'cis men make me sick'.
[close]

The way your using the  term 'heterophobic' makes it sound like it's an epidemic.  Like heterosexuals lives are in danger like gay peoples are.  -But I see alot of twisted fuckn shit on the internet.
you're putting that on it, not me.
i just mean phobic as 'anti' w/ condescension and derision like how some people use 'fag'. it's not actually 'scared' of gays and it's not actually endangering them but it's a pejorative.
i see 'cis' thrown around the same way on the internet.
i've got faith though, in a decade or so it'll die out and everyone will be more accepting of each other

Surf-goth

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
Just as i suspected. It's some bullshit.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2017, 04:00:23 PM »
  You thought it was feminist bullshit from the start.  You may have well have said so in the 1st place instead of baiting

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »

You thought it was feminist bullshit from the start.  You may have well have said so in the 1st place instead of baiting

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »

Surf-goth

« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2017, 04:05:18 PM »
I knew it was bullshit but i wasn't sure exactly what it was.i just went by context so don't get your panties in a bunch.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

ImportantGuy

« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2017, 04:07:06 PM »
When discussions spiral into shit like this it's time to drop 250ug lsd and stare at a lake for a minute.

This thread is getting fucking regular.

Schmaltz

• Rep: -55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2017, 04:08:25 PM »
I went to DSW to buy some work shoes yesterday and they had a whole isle that was slip ons, old schools and skate-hi's.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
I went to DSW to buy some work shoes yesterday and they had a whole isle that was slip ons, old schools and skate-hi's.

you heard it here first - Vans x Isle x DSW collabo