Author Topic: Marc Johnson Interview  (Read 11472 times)

PincherBug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
Marc Johnson Interview
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »
He seems unstable, no surprise there.  It's funny because he tears up around the 13:00 minute mark and this goes off and on until the end of the interview which is almost 19:00.  He loves to rant to anyone who will listen.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
Re: Marc Johnson Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
Did you ever hear that ultra exclusive Clash B-side, "I'm so tired of U MJ" ?
he needs to go out like Tesla already i'm sick of this shite

shit_for_brains

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
Hey Marc go skating, film it, and don't talk to the camera.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »

It's comical to hear his reasonings etc. He says the oddest things.

Gentleman ninja warlock

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
MJ pseudo-philosophical banter? ehh, seen it.

7 year old

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »

sorry Marc. still love u  :-*

micky682

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
His skating is so good, and all he needs to do is basic shit.

nothingisspecial

• Rep: -53
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
He’s really making it hard to like him lately.

He is obnoxiously philosophical...

we gettttt itt dude you like to think.

Reminds me of dealer house when you get stuck there matching bowls and they fucking go on about fuck knows what and the whole thing becomes a pissing contest even when you fucking agree with them about their dumb ass theories and onservations...

chodekaka

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
One of life’s great missions is to align what you think and feel with what you manifest, what you participate in and create in the physical world. I think MJ has realized that his philosophical views do not and could not align with the industry and activity he’s trying to make a living off of. He cannot realize all of these things and then participate or else he just ends up looking like a hypocrite (adidas) over and over again. So he’s just imploding, he is constantly battling in his mind trying to reconcile how he can move forward with a board brand and pro career in a spiritually aligned way and it’s driving him crazy. When he speaks he speaks like someone in the middle of an argument always.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
It's always funny when somebody decides that their "thing" is going to be "I'm an intellectual". I feel like people who are actually intelligent don't need to go out of their way with every waking breath to make sure everybody in the room understands that they're intelligent.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »
One of life’s great missions is to align what you think and feel with what you manifest, what you participate in and create in the physical world. I think MJ has realized that his philosophical views do not and could not align with the industry and activity he’s trying to make a living off of. He cannot realize all of these things and then participate or else he just ends up looking like a hypocrite (adidas) over and over again. So he’s just imploding, he is constantly battling in his mind trying to reconcile how he can move forward with a board brand and pro career in a spiritually aligned way and it’s driving him crazy. When he speaks he speaks like someone in the middle of an argument always.
So you're saying he should lift his wings and branch off to a more fitting industry where they would understand his creative, innovative ideas and philosophies, such as the soap shoes movement for example.

chodekaka

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 03:46:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So you're saying he should lift his wings and branch off to a more fitting industry where they would understand his creative, innovative ideas and philosophies, such as the soap shoes movement for example.
Exactly, he’s too good for the skate industry, soap shoes #fortheculture

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »
His skating is so good, and all he needs to do is basic shit.

Did U just call MJ a basic bitch OMG LOL

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
if you randomly jump around by clicking the timeline it's fucking comedy gold.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -299
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
Hey Marc go skating, film it, and don't talk to the camera.

For the love of God this!

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
More skate less talk.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:04 PM »
Fuck all of you. I back this shit. Dude loves skateboarding but yeah he's coming to terms with some things. Either way can't refute his logic.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
I honestly wouldn't mind if he shared his opinions but it's the fucking tone that he uses that irritates me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:38:59 PM by doublesteveburger »

7 year old

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »
If you click around on that vimeo channel there's a trailer that came out 10 months ago that has footage from this interview, so this must be pretty old. His 9 Club episode was a couple of months after that. Wonder how much time passed between the two. The difference between this interview and how he seems on the 9 Club is night and day.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
MJ is on the money when it comes to how social media is used. You post what you want people to see. Everyone is essentially marketing themselves towards current and potential friends and lovers. Relationships were better before social media took over

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »
Fuck all of you. I back this shit. Dude loves skateboarding but yeah he's coming to terms with some things. Either way can't refute his logic.
Reported.

Paletta

• Rep: -17
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
If you click around on that vimeo channel there's a trailer that came out 10 months ago that has footage from this interview, so this must be pretty old. His 9 Club episode was a couple of months after that. Wonder how much time passed between the two. The difference between this interview and how he seems on the 9 Club is night and day.

I wondered how old it was because he was talking about Dylan in present tense like he hadn't passed away.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »
He keeps bringing up the idea of how long he's been skateboarding as opposed to how long he hasn't been skateboarding.

Even before Fully Flared came out, he wrote an article in The Skateboard Mag and mentioned that he'd just turned the age where he he's been skating for longer than he hasn't. Why is this so important to him?

Also questioning if he or Adidas would let a photo of himself run in a no-holds-barred magazine if the editorial was critical of Adidas, or ran bad shoe reviews of Adidas.

carlwinslow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
watching this from the toilet...

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »
MJ is on the money when it comes to how social media is used. You post what you want people to see. Everyone is essentially marketing themselves towards current and potential friends and lovers. Relationships were better before social media took over

He's not the first person to say this and besides, he's wrong. Even not on social media, we are obsessed with presenting ourselves how we want to be seen and displaying our identity.  Why do you think we buy the shit we can buy and feel like the things we own/buy/wear/eat are reflections of us? Controlled self-presentation is and always has been a part of everyday life and every relationship we have or want to have.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »
you guys think he's nuts now

just wait till he finally get sober

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »
watching this from the toilet...
From a laptop I hope 😉

Just noticed something... This video isn't exactly "hot off the press"

He talks about Dylan Rieder in present tense, like he was still alive at the time.
This is an outtake from a documentary about skateboarding media.
This is probably a couple years old. Just putting some context in there
ableSkateMag.com

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
Yet another interview with Marc about things everybody already knows...

Him gushing about how good Jenkem is was funny considering he got kicked off Chocolate on their website haha.

waffle

• Rep: 125
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »
It's always funny when somebody decides that their "thing" is going to be "I'm an intellectual". I feel like people who are actually intelligent don't need to go out of their way with every waking breath to make sure everybody in the room understands that they're intelligent.

I feel like it also has to do with validation. For example, I work in software, and my peers are obviously all pretty smart. However, they're also compensated for their intelligence. Thus, no festering insecurities. I've never had a team with any personality remotely similar to Marc's. Non-work related conversations among my current team are about whatever shitty reality TV show we're currently watching.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
I enjoyed listening to his thoughts and critiques. It's refreshing even if this isn't exactly recent.

Obviously, some dark shit happened in his childhood. Glad he found skating.