Author Topic: Marc Johnson Interview  (Read 11456 times)

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
Re: Marc Johnson Interview
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
He keeps bringing up the idea of how long he's been skateboarding as opposed to how long he hasn't been skateboarding.

Even before Fully Flared came out, he wrote an article in The Skateboard Mag and mentioned that he'd just turned the age where he he's been skating for longer than he hasn't. Why is this so important to him?

Also questioning if he or Adidas would let a photo of himself run in a no-holds-barred magazine if the editorial was critical of Adidas, or ran bad shoe reviews of Adidas.

One of my favorite quotes is from that. Something along the lines of you just run out of stuff to say to people.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
This must be the leaked Brink interview

hassenrueb

• Rep: -4
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 01:03:42 AM »
What he's saying isn't wrong (well, for the most part... memory doesn't work that way), it's just not as profound as he thinks or as he's trying to make it sound.

When he says "and you know it can get gnarly at Jenkem" that could be a reference to the Mike Carroll interview, no?

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 01:19:18 AM »
Expand Quote
MJ is on the money when it comes to how social media is used. You post what you want people to see. Everyone is essentially marketing themselves towards current and potential friends and lovers. Relationships were better before social media took over
[close]

He's not the first person to say this and besides, he's wrong. Even not on social media, we are obsessed with presenting ourselves how we want to be seen and displaying our identity.  Why do you think we buy the shit we can buy and feel like the things we own/buy/wear/eat are reflections of us? Controlled self-presentation is and always has been a part of everyday life and every relationship we have or want to have.

Hmm, I agree with you to an extent, but we are showcasing these things now more so than ever. It isn't egotistical to eat lobster at home, it is if you share a picture of you eating lobster on instagram. You agree?

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 01:47:47 AM »
I hope he is mentally in a better place now. He kind of seems like because of his rough childhood he maybe chose the wrong career path for his talents. I understand skateboarding was his getaway from family problems like for many others but I don't know if it was the right one for him. And because skateboarding doesn't value having brains he's stuck in a place where he doesn't have the right skill set to do anything else so he has to stick with it. Being in the twilight years of his career he is realizing that he has kind of wasted his talent on his the first option to get out of his miserable childhood conditions rather than maybe waiting and getting a degree on something more suitable for his mind. Not to say he isn't one of the greatest to ever do it but that doesn't mean shit if you aren't good with you internally. Sorry for the psychoanalysis and rambling just my two cents.

Would be stoked to see some skateboarding from him though.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »

Wash your hands once in a while.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:44:55 PM by Stanley Spadowski »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

nothingisspecial

• Rep: -53
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »
I honestly wouldn't mind if he shared his opinions but it's the fucking tone that he uses that irritates me.

Yep

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
  I got to the :35 second mark and by that stage he had made one valid point that was reasonably thought provoking. (to my brain anyway.)   And then I peaced out on it while the gettin was good.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 09:29:10 PM »

Its good to have some dirt on you, its man shit.

baby dick

• Rep: 7
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
i read apparently that this was filmed like a day or two after the Carroll drama and he got kicked off Chocolate.

maybe that makes it better? still not gonna watch it either way.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2017, 03:45:41 AM »
in that first minute when he's talking about how terrible it is that everyone is posting filler content, was that before or after he made that terrible adidas matchcourt ad?
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
The edit doesn't help, makes it look like it's one big run-on monologue. 
Which I'm sure Marc is perfectly capable of pulling off on his own.  He and the
new 'woke' Jim Carrey should date.  Still love the guy though.

raji

• Rep: 8
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
still running that bily's new whip shtick i see

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's from unfiltered cigs or roll ups. But still, I smoke a lot a roll ups and my fingers are no way near that bad. I gotta rub em on my griptape to get it off. Could be poop. 

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »
someone shut this cunt up - he's constantly shitting himself all over the internet

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2017, 11:50:50 AM »
maybe chose the wrong career path for his talents.

Yeah you ever seen the dude make a funny face and voice with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth? Or roll by the camera and pretend he's rowing a boat? He could have had a bright future as a comedian. Wasted his talent on skateboarding.

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »
still running that bily's new whip shtick i see

Come on Marc, stop hating on people with new whips.  Use your Adidas money to get a new Prius and drop it!

jomeara1

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
Damn, maybe he should talk to a therapist or something?  Seems like he's starting to lose a grip on things.  I agree with a lot of shit he says about instagram though.  Throughout the years he always seemed like a happy fun dude to be around and now he seems like such a downer about everything.  I guess the whole thing with Carroll and getting kicked off Chocolate did a number on him?  I'd have to pull up that thread and go through it again because I honestly can't remember all the details about that anymore even though it wasn't that long ago.

He kind of seems like because of his rough childhood he maybe chose the wrong career path for his talents. I understand skateboarding was his getaway from family problems like for many others but I don't know if it was the right one for him. And because skateboarding doesn't value having brains he's stuck in a place where he doesn't have the right skill set to do anything else so he has to stick with it. Being in the twilight years of his career he is realizing that he has kind of wasted his talent on his the first option to get out of his miserable childhood conditions rather than maybe waiting and getting a degree on something more suitable for his mind. Not to say he isn't one of the greatest to ever do it but that doesn't mean shit if you aren't good with you internally.

I'm kind of with you on this except I don't think wasted talent, nor 'wrong career path' is the right way to put it.  I do think there is something there though.. in his mind that maybe he's worried about age catching up to him one day? And this connects with what you said about him having to stick with it because of the lack of skills skateboarding really gives you in the 'real world.'  Even though he doesn't openly say it he seems overly anxious and stressed all the time more now than he ever did.  I could just be over analyzing though.   

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »
You guys just don't understand the progressiveness that Adidas has granted him.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
I got bored but I do agree with some stuff he said. For example, I'd rather watch AO fuck around than watch Shane O'Neil sleep walk through another ridiculous ledge trick.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »
I don't really get the hate. I kind of skipped through it a bit, I'm not gonna sit there and listen to it all, but it's just a guy talking some shit on a porch, no?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »
I don't really get the hate. I kind of skipped through it a bit, I'm not gonna sit there and listen to it all, but it's just a guy talking some shit on a porch, no?
People think he's got a shtick.  It crystallized for me in that skit he does wearing the long coat and ball cap.  I can't even critique his interviews cause I'm not gonna sit there thru it. I started disliking Marc and Louie simaltainiously. Louie shakes his hair around during tricks and panders alot.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
That's from unfiltered cigs or roll ups. But still, I smoke a lot a roll ups and my fingers are no way near that bad. I gotta rub em on my griptape to get it off. Could be poop. 
sif he isn't fingering his own butthole every time he releases one of these interviews.

> hates digital media
>> releases 99% of his recent interviews via digital media

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

doublesteveburger

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
You take that back about sweet, sweet, loveable Captain Lou, you god damn son of a bitch.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »
You take that back about sweet, sweet, loveable Captain Lou, you god damn son of a bitch.

I liked it for a time, his man down part was really good.  I could say just as much good stuff about the guy I guess.  It's just a build up for me.  Prolly boils down to that hair cut. He kinda was just putting out the transition skating at the end and I wasn't liking that as much as his street. But he desearves the love for his skating AND personality.  I just got turned off personally by all the camera mugging he does.  He might be decent and so might Marc.  I have my shiddy little opinion on slap but in real life I'm open to meeting people in person cause you never know what there like.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2017, 07:02:17 PM »
I wish he would just skate instead of talk in this thing I clicked on titled "Marc Johnson interview". Come on Marc let the skating do the talking. He doesn't have any skate footage anywhere that I can watch!
And if he's going to give an interview, how DARE he "think" and attempt to contribute anything different or that he finds interesting. I just wanna hear about how the team went to Sacramento and everyone else on the team is chill  >:(

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
I wish he would just skate instead of talk in this thing I clicked on titled "Marc Johnson interview". Come on Marc let the skating do the talking. He doesn't have any skate footage anywhere that I can watch!
And if he's going to give an interview, how DARE he "think" and attempt to contribute anything different or that he finds interesting. I just wanna hear about how the team went to Sacramento and everyone else on the team is chill  >:(
when do teams even go to sacramento thats news to me

Mr. Fink

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »

Mongoloid

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
People think he's got a shtick.  It crystallized for me in that skit he does wearing the long coat and ball cap.  I can't even critique his interviews cause I'm not gonna sit there thru it. I started disliking Marc and Louie simaltainiously. Louie shakes his hair around during tricks and panders alot.

Fuck... Barletta? Goddamn dude you gotta call it a day. Fucking pack it in, go home.

I get MJ hate, but Barletta? Dude is a genuine sweetheart! How are you hating on Louie Barletta, and downplaying French Fred's filming on the same day? I honestly can't remember anyone in recent history with opinions this historically fucking awful!

Paletta

• Rep: -17
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »
I hope he is mentally in a better place now. He kind of seems like because of his rough childhood he maybe chose the wrong career path for his talents. I understand skateboarding was his getaway from family problems like for many others but I don't know if it was the right one for him. And because skateboarding doesn't value having brains he's stuck in a place where he doesn't have the right skill set to do anything else so he has to stick with it. Being in the twilight years of his career he is realizing that he has kind of wasted his talent on his the first option to get out of his miserable childhood conditions rather than maybe waiting and getting a degree on something more suitable for his mind. Not to say he isn't one of the greatest to ever do it but that doesn't mean shit if you aren't good with you internally. Sorry for the psychoanalysis and rambling just my two cents.

Would be stoked to see some skateboarding from him though.

By wasted talent do you mean thinking you are way more intelligent and enlightened than you are and talking in a condescending manner to try and prove it?