Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 85366 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1980 on: April 11, 2024, 04:06:01 PM »
...as no one really has them locally here.

"Never bought. Never sold."

I think that not only applies to Lucero's bid'ness model (re "selling out"), but also to their market demand. LOL. Label is indeed the "smallest big company." Not many places carry them, and I hardly ever see them in the wild...which is a sham because they are a rad company, and always have been.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1981 on: April 16, 2024, 01:14:11 AM »
Madness hit. Want Thunders badly, I've been on Ace for like 2 years but you know the drill...
Also it doesn't help that I have a good discount on them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

• Rep: 273
« Reply #1982 on: April 16, 2024, 02:50:04 AM »
Madness hit. Want Thunders badly, I've been on Ace for like 2 years but you know the drill...

Switch to Ventures, stay awake, stop the madness.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1983 on: April 16, 2024, 05:00:47 AM »

Don’t do it. Aces turn. Thunders don’t. Plus, that Thunder baseplate thing.

rikki

• Rep: 273
« Reply #1984 on: April 16, 2024, 05:02:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Having ridden Destructo, Thunder, Indy, Ace and Venture in the recent years I can easily say that Thunders are the worst of the lot.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1985 on: April 16, 2024, 05:09:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Switch to Ventures, stay awake, stop the madness.
Ventures are definitely not for me, got a set months ago and God I hated them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • sup dog
« Reply #1986 on: April 16, 2024, 06:33:17 AM »
Just buy them. Buy the thunders on the discount and find out if you hate them or not.

Then you won’t live your life with regret and think to yourself as you’re snuggled in bed in 50 years, unable to skate anymore, “I really wish I took that one chance to ride Thunders.”

Then if you hate them, you can stoke out some kid at the skatepark on the worst trucks you’ve ever seen in your life.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1987 on: April 16, 2024, 06:44:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just buy them. Buy the thunders on the discount and find out if you hate them or not.

Then you won’t live your life with regret and think to yourself as you’re snuggled in bed in 50 years, unable to skate anymore, “I really wish I took that one chance to ride Thunders.”

Then if you hate them, you can stoke out some kid at the skatepark on the worst trucks you’ve ever seen in your life.

^ He does make good points.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1988 on: April 16, 2024, 06:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree but no way in hell I'm giving away crap. With that being said I already ordered and worst case scenario I can sell them to a homie for a good price.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1989 on: April 16, 2024, 07:16:12 AM »
late stage crapitalism
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1990 on: April 16, 2024, 07:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Agree but no way in hell I'm giving away crap. With that being said I already ordered and worst case scenario I can sell them to a homie for a good price.

I just did the same as you, just with Ventures as i already did try out some thunders.

There’s so much product I haven’t tried but am very curious about. It’s probably highly likely hindering any progress that I have 3 somewhat different boards set up, with every dimension being different.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -16
« Reply #1991 on: April 16, 2024, 07:28:11 AM »
i was riding indys till 2020 then switched to thunders in January of 2021, (which i think are my fav) but then switched to Ace's beginning of 22' then went to Venture in February of this year. Im the type of person that sets up something new, instantly hates it, orders some new shit but then get used to whatever i disliked then stick with it for awhile.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1992 on: April 16, 2024, 08:52:29 AM »
Sounds like truck long Covid you have….

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #1993 on: April 16, 2024, 10:03:26 AM »
i was riding indys till 2020 then switched to thunders in January of 2021, (which i think are my fav) but then switched to Ace's beginning of 22' then went to Venture in February of this year. Im the type of person that sets up something new, instantly hates it, orders some new shit but then get used to whatever i disliked then stick with it for awhile.

are you the real dirty dan?

ejazzle

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1994 on: April 16, 2024, 10:09:01 AM »
I went grind king, venture, krux, venture, indy, ace, venture and now on thunders. I don't think Ill ever switch from thunders. Wheel bite and not being able to turn were the bane of my existence for too long. I BELIEVE I have found my happy medium.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1995 on: April 16, 2024, 11:06:53 AM »
I went grind king, venture, krux, venture, indy, ace, venture and now on thunders. I don't think Ill ever switch from thunders. Wheel bite and not being able to turn were the bane of my existence for too long. I BELIEVE I have found my happy medium.

I've always thought Forged Indys were the perfect "middle ground" truck. Not too high. Not too low. Longer WB than Ace, not as long as Venture (same with turn). Middle ground pinch. Middle ground weight. Those are the happy medium for me.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #1996 on: April 16, 2024, 11:47:16 AM »
happy medium.

I believe you will find that with Thace.... at least I hope I will. T2s........  ;)

Free hat

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1997 on: April 16, 2024, 12:14:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I switched from AF1 to thunders and think they turn fine. Baseplate doesn’t bother me either. Crazy how subjective skate gear can be.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1998 on: April 16, 2024, 12:26:28 PM »
I grew up with Thunders. Switched to Indys for a few years. Now back on Thunders. But with Indy bushings. Everything feels good. I actually like the Thunder baseplate more for Noseslides, maybe because I learned them on Thunders back then. Skateboarding is weird sometimes.
IG: @flowterspace

CarcassToss

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1999 on: April 16, 2024, 12:36:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've always thought Forged Indys were the perfect "middle ground" truck. Not too high. Not too low. Longer WB than Ace, not as long as Venture (same with turn). Middle ground pinch. Middle ground weight. Those are the happy medium for me.

I've always hated Forged Indys. They have more wheelbite than normal, don't equate to as much pop for me, and the sometimes feel too light and squirrely. I wheelbite less on Thunders, which are lower and some people think have more bite. I want to like the concept of Forged Indys but every time I have ridden them they just feel off. I actually think AF1 are what I want forged Indys to be except that I have to 100% run harder bushings in them.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2000 on: April 16, 2024, 12:58:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've always hated Forged Indys. They have more wheelbite than normal, don't equate to as much pop for me, and the sometimes feel too light and squirrely. I wheelbite less on Thunders, which are lower and some people think have more bite. I want to like the concept of Forged Indys but every time I have ridden them they just feel off. I actually think AF1 are what I want forged Indys to be except that I have to 100% run harder bushings in them.

HA! Says the guy who hates the DLX 8.25! :) We clearly have very different tastes. ;)

CarcassToss

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2001 on: April 16, 2024, 02:15:29 PM »
I want to like both so badly. The 8.25 comes in the best graphics and every shop everywhere has several in stock at all times.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2002 on: April 16, 2024, 04:14:22 PM »
I want to like both so badly. The 8.25 comes in the best graphics and every shop everywhere has several in stock at all times.

The 8.25 boards have always been on the shorter mold, so they tend to be steeper as well, when compared to something like the 8.38 boards which seem to be way less steep overall when comparing any number of each of them.  Maybe finding boards with IV on top could help if they feel too quick in the kicks, or riding trucks with shorter wheelbases, even if you are not a fan of Indy, as per previous comments.

I know how much that 8.25 does work well on any Indy trucks, as I have one myself, but it is personal opinion and if something doesn't work for you, there is no point trying to struggle with it, just to have it make life harder every time you step on a board.  I did also have it set up on Thunders and even tried it on Ventures just to see, but prefer Indy for the wheelbase.

Another 8.25 Full, not SE with 14.5 wb I put Ace trucks on and it worked well enough too, but that is a different board again.

Probably doesn't count so much for me though, as I have almost one of everything set up in some form or another, just to see what they are like and to let people skate them if they are not sure of what a board shape or mix of brands / parts might feel like.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:55:53 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2003 on: April 16, 2024, 04:56:11 PM »

* Given this is the gear madness thread, finding something that works or staying away from something that doesn't work is the main thing, but of course sometimes you just want to see what this shape or that truck is like, especially with all the people talking about this and that on Slap.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2004 on: April 16, 2024, 06:51:38 PM »

* Given this is the gear madness thread, finding something that works or staying away from something that doesn't work is the main thing, but of course sometimes you just want to see what this shape or that truck is like, especially with all the people talking about this and that on Slap.

This entire thread has helped both abate, and exacerbate, my Madness. :)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #2005 on: April 16, 2024, 07:24:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

and then back again.

every post i make should be in this thread

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2006 on: April 16, 2024, 08:48:56 PM »
I have shoe madness right now. I’m currently skating NB 440 V1 with heel slip issues. I hate the new N on the v2’s.

Every new shoe I’ve tried I don’t like or they don’t fit me right, it’s a bummer.

End rant.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2007 on: April 16, 2024, 09:32:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

and then back again.

Everyone bounces between "this is my perfect setup and I will never change anything ever again" to "maybe I need another mm of height with credit card risers and maybe go Indy conical bottom with Bones top bushing".

There is no cure.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 53
« Reply #2008 on: April 17, 2024, 12:03:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

and then back again.

[close]

Everyone bounces between "this is my perfect setup and I will never change anything ever again" to "maybe I need another mm of height with credit card risers and maybe go Indy conical bottom with Bones top bushing".

There is no cure.

100% agree. Related reading: Michael Easter's The Scarcity Brain. Current stage of western market economy plays our minds like slot machines. Maybe there's MORE fun skating if I try (ie. buy) that combination?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2009 on: April 17, 2024, 12:07:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

and then back again.

[close]

There is no cure.
That's the absolute truth, maybe the only cure is to delete Slap from your life.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.