Author Topic: Let us not forget Ted DeGros  (Read 13347 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Let us not forget Ted DeGros
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 07:18:11 AM »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
I miss Mitch Charron's skating more.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMxyn924FT0

That section is so good. That whole first Antisocial video was amazing.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
Speak of the devil.....

https://youtu.be/UnrIVgI3ziU

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »
That 411 part is my favorite of his. So many tricks that are inherently ugly that he made look good. 5-0 f/s flip out, tailslide hardflip out, front nose 270 the ugly way. Always loved this dude's skating.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 06:14:42 PM »
always enjoyed his footy, sick he made an account 5 years to say what's up

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Made Coldplay bearable
[close]

calm the fuck down
Calmer than you are, dude.
Calmer than you are.

But in all seriousness did you actually think I was talking about bearable in the sense that I started to get into Coldplay after watching that part?

Maybe I should have been clearer but that part was sick as fuck and part of the reason that it was  was the song, it made me not want to mute that shit is what I meant.

Now if I ever stumble across that song I have warm fuzzy thoughts about Ted DeGros and his fucking beautiful style and execution.
Am I seeking that song out?
No.
The part and the song went great together, that's all.

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
Love when slap shines a light on these things
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »
I miss Mitch Charron's skating more.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMxyn924FT0

That section is so good. That whole first Antisocial video was amazing.

Mitch was/is the best. Such an interesting looking style. His shared part with Mc D in Port Moody Blues is great.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »
Speak of the devil.....

Did i just see Ted DeGros skate the Revive park? :(

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 05:45:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Speak of the devil.....

[close]
Did i just see Ted DeGros skate the Revive park? :(

Crazy times.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 07:02:28 AM »
Once you reach a certain age....kookin it is inevitable......

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »
its so hard to keep it real, forever.

ted was ahead of his time.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
Fucking YouTube kooks!  Unfortunately, ted knows aaron kyro (Braille Scientology) through me.  One of my biggest mistakes in life was helping kyro out: never has there been a more narcissistic person on this earth, never.

Ben De Gros

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
Hi this is Ben De gros. I just wanted to inform you that Ted had nothing to do with us going to the Braille house. That was my error in judgement. I have been trying to grow a channel and it was hard not to feel influenced by some of the bigger channels on youtube so I was the one who asked to see if I could skate there hoping I could make contacts and get exposure. I never actually spoke with or met Aaron and I know Ted doesn't actually know him either. Again, it was an error in judgement on my part and I can see how us going there could really rub some people the wrong way. I will now be focusing on keeping the content of my channel much more focused on product reviews and the occasional tutorial and let it grow at an organic pace without clickbait and cheesy filler. I just wanted to respond to this and clear up any misconception you may have had about why we went there. Also, I have nothing against  other youtube skaters but I do find that most of the content entertainment and not very entertaining at that. I will focus on useful content and maybe there will be another video of Ted somewhere his old fans find less offensive. Leave Ted out of my kookery. He's innocent and still awesome.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »
I have been trying to grow a channel

Going to the Braille house isn't your biggest error in judgement.

Not Unlike You

• Rep: -23
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
Ted was an asshole.

Great skater, but an insecure person. He never went far, because it was a pain to be around him.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »
Hi this is Ben De gros. I just wanted to inform you that Ted had nothing to do with us going to the Braille house. That was my error in judgement. I have been trying to grow a channel and it was hard not to feel influenced by some of the bigger channels on youtube so I was the one who asked to see if I could skate there hoping I could make contacts and get exposure. I never actually spoke with or met Aaron and I know Ted doesn't actually know him either. Again, it was an error in judgement on my part and I can see how us going there could really rub some people the wrong way. I will now be focusing on keeping the content of my channel much more focused on product reviews and the occasional tutorial and let it grow at an organic pace without clickbait and cheesy filler. I just wanted to respond to this and clear up any misconception you may have had about why we went there. Also, I have nothing against  other youtube skaters but I do find that most of the content entertainment and not very entertaining at that. I will focus on useful content and maybe there will be another video of Ted somewhere his old fans find less offensive. Leave Ted out of my kookery. He's innocent and still awesome.

haha i love this so much. i was definitely thinking you would show up on a revive board after that video and figured i have greatly over estimated you.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
I've actually came across some of your review videos, specifically the truck ones and your videos are a million times more watchable than those dorks who are posting clickbait about using iPads as skateboards etc.

kalis switch mongo

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »
was always a fan of he's little mosaic section

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
Ted was one of the first people that had what we would now call "robot style". That was the big appeal of his North part - just how perfect he does everything. He does quick lines where his feet are immediately set up for the next trick and rolls away with very little body movement. It was refreshing at the time and totally different.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »
Fucking YouTube kooks!  Unfortunately, ted knows aaron kyro (Braille Scientology) through me.  One of my biggest mistakes in life was helping kyro out: never has there been a more narcissistic person on this earth, never.

Im dying to know more about this since I’ve seen you post about growing up with him.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Ted was an asshole.

Great skater, but an insecure person. He never went far, because it was a pain to be around him.

nah, i'm insecure and bitter enough myself that i wouldn't hesitate to talk shit. But I spent enough time around Ted and he was pretty down to earth, not the most outgoing, but nobody owes you that.
and as far as not going very far, he was pro for santa cruz and were talking about him now so...

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
I honestly love that every few years a thread like this pops up because Ted DeGros is the best.

I'm surprised TKF or a similar smaller company hasn't at least done a guest model with him yet.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 06:02:49 AM »

Ben I am sorry buddy but that is not entirely true.  We all met first back in 01 at the Dorm.  Yes Ted and Aaron weren't close back then but to say they didn't know one another isn't accurate either.  Aaron spent his first year in university at ubc, due in big part to the influence of the Canadian scene. Certainly we all knew each other though.  I apologize for jumping the gun and thinking that Aaron had something to do with you guys both being at Braille house, but you could see where that mistake came from, being that it's Aaron's company.  This video does nothing to touch Teds reputation in my eyes, Ted was the best skater back then and nothing will ever take that away.  Good luck with your channel, I hope that you can be an exception to the usually awful content of you tubers, so good luck with that. Honestly it was awesome to see Ted on board again, my personal frustrations and opinions of Aaron is what came out during my initial post and I should have at least mentioned how sick it was to see Ted do a perfect tre flip and to be skating in general.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:11:42 AM by mtvic »

Ben De Gros

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
Thanks mtvic. I appreciated reading that. You are correct Ted did meet Aaron at the skate Dorm. My post was a kneejerk reaction to my first Slap hazing. I do want to clear up a couple of things on my part. It was in poor taste of me to get so defensive and obviously try to distance Ted and myself  from Aaron or Braille. I haven't met Arron so I haven't had the opportunity to form a genuine opinion of him, however, I admire what he has been able to build for himself through his efforts.

As for the Braille House, I had a great session there with Ted and the few staff members I met were very kind and welcoming. I have experienced a lot of vibing and cliquiness in skateboarding and I didn't get any of that there. They have fostered an environment of inclusivity and I respect that.

I would also like to note that I can totally see how the first available footage of Ted skating in a decade being at the Braille House was a bit of a dick punch in the eyes to any remaining Ted De Gros fans who do not like Aaron or Braille. It was a bit of a blind spot to me as I am pretty used to the state of youtube these days and as a person posting youtube videos I am more forgiving to other youtubers.

I might also mention that I find the vast majority of content on youtube pretty unwatchable and I try to keep my content useful and on topic. I did get a little vloggy for the last couple of months but I will be shifting back to reviews and tutorials with no trends or clickbait.

Also, I love Ted's 360 flips too. He has been better than me at them for 22 years and even though he barely skates he can still throw them down as nice as ever. I hope to capture a few more before we are old and grey.