Author Topic: BMX for dummies  (Read 4682 times)

shootermcgavin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
BMX for dummies
« on: November 21, 2017, 11:01:22 PM »
is it still the norm to hate BMXers? i thought they were the real culprits behind property damage to ledges and spots in general? the cool kids at my local park accept some bmx kids but only the ones who are sponsored (ie. ability = likeability) but i was wondering if this was happening elsewhere with mediocre BMX kids. is BMXing cool now?
 bobby Worrest just talked about how he used to ride BMX in his 9club interview. what made skating the "action sport" everyone had to do? why not bmxing? is it because everyone already knows how to ride a bike?

random:
is this shit in the Olympics too?
matt hoffman killed himself not too long ago and people said it was from the concussion syndrome NFL bros get.. will some pro(sk8r) get this shit too?

i dont like bming btw

ungzilla

Re: BMX for dummies
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
You getting enough fiber?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1370
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
It was Dave Mirra who committed suicide, not Mat Hoffman. It's morbidly funny how that mistake keeps getting made. If Danny Way killed himself, how many people outside of skating would think it was Tony Hawk?

Thrasher once had a BMX Jihad article, promoting BMX hate or at least criticism. Then one of their captions a little while after said "The BMX Jihad article was the worst idea since rollerblades." This was like more than ten years ago so maybe the beef was squashed then.

Remember when BMXers destroyed Chaffey school? Was that out of spite? Lifetime kook move if so.

Donald Rump

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
Don't see bmexican's much anymore in my town, though racing is still popular especially with kids

A few years ago there was a bit of a crew hitting the parks and everyone got along. In the 80's bmx was huge here and most of the forefathers of skateboarding came from bmx

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 01:02:48 AM »
Never see them in the streets however it may be a localised park phenomenon, 3 local parks are bike heavy, most of the others I never see any other than the occasional single random kid cycling into the park through the mud then rolling round in circles and stopping in the middle of the line/obstacle he's watched you hitting.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:42:22 AM »
I hate them. Not always as people but generally for being dirty, inconsiderate, chromosomely challenged half wits. Racing? Fine. Under 14? Fine. Make your own spots? Fine. Trudging mud through our spots, not cool you benefit dependent unwanted child. Grown men look ridiculous on them.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 03:47:06 AM »

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 04:12:22 AM »
They definitely destroy street spots way quicker.  Go faster than skaters and seem to have less situational awareness/feeling for the flow of the spot.  Still, riding bikes is fun and they're better than rollerbladers.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 04:49:24 AM »
I really enjoy their gory slams. But most times I don't enjoy shit, that sound of idle rolling (no pedaling, resulting in a "krrrrrrrrrr" noise) alone is enough to put me off skating the same spot. Even if I can't see one approaching I always think they are going to crash on me.
All marble blocks in my town have been totally damaged by bmxers who had given up biking a year later. In case anyone wants to know the greek hate history goes as:
late 70's through the mid 90's - hate the bikes
mid 90's to mid 00's - some residual hate on bikes but main focus has now shifted to rollerblades
mid 00's to around 2010 - still hate on bikes and rollerblades but now we got scooters in the mix (thankfully scooters did not have enough time to fully explode as modern things take around a decade to set in Greece)
2010 to now - recession, not too many people skate apart from places like Athens so everyone just hates the government
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

ImportantGuy

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:02:59 AM »
is it still the norm to hate BMXers?
Yes, it is absolutely the norm to hate BMXers, rollerbladers, scooter kids, slack-lining hippies, long-boarders, snowboarders, skiers, basketball players, housewives, soccer coaches, skateboarders, pickup trucks, philosophers, grandmas, free-runners etc. etc. etc. (I would make this list a LOT longer but I have to go to work)

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:00 AM »
  I think it was a thing at vancouver parks. I don't think they were welcome at hastings.   Those heavey pieces of shit with metal pegs sticking out will end your skate career if someone hits you with one at a skatepark.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
I respect bmx 'cause its gnarly and probably pretty hard. Takes some real skill/balls/patience to get good at it unlike scootering.

But yeah they are consistently the most inconsiderate and unaware people at the skatepark. They never just stop and put their feet down and wait like the rest of us. Always gotta be rolling doing big ass circles when they're turning around at the ends of a park to snake everyone trying to wheelie across the flats. And the better they are, the bolder and faster they become.

I actually far prefer to skate with scooter kids and rollerbladers than bmxers. At least you can actually skate

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »
BMXers are fine, as long as they aren't waving it in our faces! Keep that stuff behind closed doors dammit, no one needs to see that.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

doublesteveburger

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
The bonus features in BMX XXX used to get me through some tough times when I couldn't use the internet cause mom was on the phone.

D.O.T. DIY

• Rep: -45
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
If they have a good attitude and don’t purposely fuck things up (like a few kids did at Grand Central in Miami a few years ago) I’m down for the BMX shit. Plus, I used to ride. I was hitting dirt jumps and shit way before I skated. I found skating through BMX over 20 years ago, granted I was only 9 at the time. But yeah, It’s not a bad thing if they aren’t dicks about shit.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
I don't enjoy that sound of idle rolling (no pedaling, resulting in a "krrrrrrrrrr" noise) alone is enough to put me off skating the same spot. Even if I can't see one approaching I always think they are going to crash on me.

all of this
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »
Fuck those black thumb cultists

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3313
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
BMX bros like to flaunt their muscles so I'm a fan.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
BMX bros like to flaunt their muscles so I'm a fan.
GAY,that was so homosexual

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »
A couple of people I know bmx, it can be cool depending on the tricks, like seeing someone learn a 540 out of bowl, or a backflip of a kicker. As was earlier mentioned the slams are great

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »
When I was about 12ish my local park was completely taken over by bmxers. They would fuck with us all the time throwing water bombs at our cameras and shit so I really hated em for a while. I kinda think bmx is on the way out? I don't really care about them anymore, I almost feel bad for them because I feel like there is barely anyone left for them to ride with.

MC3

• Rep: 127
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
  I think it was a thing at vancouver parks. I don't think they were welcome at hastings.   Those heavey pieces of shit with metal pegs sticking out will end your skate career if someone hits you with one at a skatepark.

Nine stitches in my left ankle from some little kid at very low speeds
(Cool Trick GIF)

Zak

• Rep: -19
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
Cardiel put out a full fixed gear part, and rides Bmx. I think chris Cole is down for bmx too.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »
I ride a bmx, but I stick to dirt. All the bmxers round my way are pretty respectful, know not to snake etc, and half of them also skate. Besides we have scooters as a common enemy!

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »
Sal Barbier has a wicked BMX collection and is pretty good. In the 80s it wasn't uncommon for kids to do both.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
I used to have a grudging respect for them because it can be super gnarly but with a few exemptions for individuals that I like, fuck them.

They chunk up spots, take endless runs, you can't hear them, they swerve unpredictably, and almost always win in collisions while the skater usually gets fucked up.

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
You getting enough fiber?

Clearly not..

AllBranFlakes69

• Make fibre your friend
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
is it still the norm to hate BMXers?
[close]
Yes, it is absolutely the norm to hate BMXers, rollerbladers, scooter kids, slack-lining hippies, long-boarders, snowboarders, skiers, basketball players, housewives, soccer coaches, skateboarders, pickup trucks, philosophers, grandmas, free-runners etc. etc. etc. (I would make this list a LOT longer but I have to go to work)

I liked your old avatar better Important Guy

AllBranFlakes69

• Make fibre your friend
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 05:53:30 PM »
To reply to the topic though,
As was said earlier I can tolerate the ones who respect the etiquette of the park (I've never seen a BMXer at any of the street spots around here).
What irks me is when they remove the brakes from their bikes for whatever reason (weight reduction?). Like, if you're going to rip around on a huge chunk of metal through the park, at least have a way to stop properly.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »
Every ledge I go out of my way to wax gets destroyed by bikes so fuck em