Author Topic: Wes Kremer was the best SOTY pick of the decade  (Read 2986 times)

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Wes Kremer was the best SOTY pick of the decade
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
No campaigns, no foreshadowing, no politics, no real debate, just right place, right time, and enough video parts. Agree or disagree? Discuss.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
Re: Wes Kremer was the best SOTY pick of the decade
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
I don’t know about the decade, not sure who I would pick for that. Definitely a super solid pick and well deserved that year no doubt about it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:30:03 PM by Salsa Verde »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »

Probably true, but that decade also includes leo, GT, and ishod.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
DC had to be the driving advertising force behind his winning, despite being maybe the most deserving SOTY (besides Senn)

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
no. ishod and cardiel were the two best picks for soty of all time. goats through and through.

coneklr

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:46:40 PM »
I don't remember the year and I'm dating the shit out of myself but I was there for Arto's party/vid the year he won, so for me that will always be the best one ;)

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »
No campaigns, no foreshadowing, no politics, no real debate, just right place, right time, and enough video parts. Agree or disagree? Discuss.
There was definitely a campaign, but it wasn't as forced and obvious as others. Wes might be the best pick, but I feel since atleast 2012 there has been a heavy campaign behind everyone. GT's and Ishod's felt damn earned, and they were in no way as blatant with campaigning as people like Nyjah. I will say, Wes's campaigning (or atleast people behind it) was way less blatant for example than Pudwill that year. There's no way DC wasn't pushing him to dump footage with the goal of going for Soty once he dropped Crusty by Nature then put out 2 more parts before the end of the year.

I feel the last guy who won it with no sort of campaign behind it, and just going out and killing it was Silas, but that was 09.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

Nardis

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
Expand Quote
but that was 09.
[close]

I believe that was 2008. Cole won his second soty in 2009.

Pigeon

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:22:57 PM »
It’s subjective and we have to wait two more years to decide who was the best SOTY pick of the decade...this sounds like some shit people on SportsCenter will argue about, after the 2020 Olympics.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 03:44:05 AM »
Leo 2010
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

thomas kook

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

didn't that ad come out like 2 years later for his latest shoe

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »
Yeah, to an extent, sponsors are always gonna be pushing to get the most out of their riders, but when you look at coordinated efforts that big name brands do now, it hardly seems like there was any sort of Wes Kremer "campaign" at all (those ads above are from his shoe ad in 2016), just someone who's always killed it coming through with a little something more that happened to give him the edge. Plus, wasn't DC broke as fuck at this point? And Sk8mafia definitely didn't have that kind of budget...

Leo Romero in 2010 was a good one. I'd say that was one of the last organic SOTYs, but he was always a Thrasher dude. Wes is San Diego, giving him the element of surprise.

Grant's win seems obvious in hindsight, but there were some debatable circumstances that year -- he basically dropped his first video part of the year when he won, which ended up being a teaser for his Nike part that the public hadn't seen yet. Plus, being from Atlanta, I'm not really allowed to say this, but 2011 could have easily gone to Busenitz.

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 06:13:44 AM »
Daewon...............Try to disagree

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »
Ave?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

shark tits

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:28 AM »
I don't remember the year and I'm dating the shit out of myself but I was there for Arto's party/vid the year he won, so for me that will always be the best one ;)
2001=02 i believe. i was there too but outside. ragdoll got arrested early. trujillo got arrested at the end of it.
earlier that day little kid bastien was sw heel 5-0 180ing in a line at 3rd and chavez. rowley was there too but i mostly remember bastein. i think his line was ending w/ switch 360 flip over the rocks [bike rack removed].
long time ago and i was trying to do my basic tricks not be a fan but i was impressed.
i agree w/ dwyck, AVE [pronounced by rad rat as avy].
[edit]
i think arto was trying the switch 360 flip
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:40:56 AM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:38 AM »
Math wasn't your strong suit, huh? A decade is ten years. The decade thus far (the amount of time I intended to discuss) is 2010 through 2017. A full decade ago is roughly 2008 through 2017. Daewon won SOTY in 2006, thus making him ineligible in this discussion. Let me know if you need any more one-on-one lessons.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1170
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
silas.  lowest key win of the decade
hardly art, hardly starving

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »
Yeah, to an extent, sponsors are always gonna be pushing to get the most out of their riders, but when you look at coordinated efforts that big name brands do now, it hardly seems like there was any sort of Wes Kremer "campaign" at all (those ads above are from his shoe ad in 2016), just someone who's always killed it coming through with a little something more that happened to give him the edge. Plus, wasn't DC broke as fuck at this point? And Sk8mafia definitely didn't have that kind of budget...

Leo Romero in 2010 was a good one. I'd say that was one of the last organic SOTYs, but he was always a Thrasher dude. Wes is San Diego, giving him the element of surprise.

Grant's win seems obvious in hindsight, but there were some debatable circumstances that year -- he basically dropped his first video part of the year when he won, which ended up being a teaser for his Nike part that the public hadn't seen yet. Plus, being from Atlanta, I'm not really allowed to say this, but 2011 could have easily gone to Busenitz.
DC had huge campaigns for Nyjah prior to the Wes winning. I think DC while not big budget like Nike, Adidas, Cons or Vans, def pushed their weight around. I mean, Figgy and Guy both felt pushed heavily while both rode for skater owned brands.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -5
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
I'd argue that Ishod is the best of the last decade. He's the only one in recent memory to almost win it back to back. Leo was my personal face but Ishod went on a killing spree for two solids years and has been in the discussion every year since

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Math wasn't your strong suit, huh? A decade is ten years. The decade thus far (the amount of time I intended to discuss) is 2010 through 2017. A full decade ago is roughly 2008 through 2017. Daewon won SOTY in 2006, thus making him ineligible in this discussion. Let me know if you need any more one-on-one lessons.
Whoops, my bad. Ishod was the best then. Fuck you very much

GinosGroceries

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
Not true because Grant is Skater of the decade.