Author Topic: is new york actually good for skating?  (Read 2477 times)

Chippedwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
is new york actually good for skating?
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »
i mean the spots look small and shitty or big and shitty and i don't belive in skatepark or manmade spots or using bondo or wax and all these spots seem to use all that cheater stuff. the brooklyn banks look like they arn't bricks but dirt, its also so dirty and a million people spit on the street their everyday and everything is way too crusty. is it legit to skate their, how are cops?? the metal curbs seem cool tho, also how cold does it get iin wintertime? are flights cheap?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
Re: is new york actually good for skating?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
Nope.
Too cold, too many people, metal edge curbs<red painted curbs, way too cold plus its really, really cold.
Best place ever for drinking and looking at girls though.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
Depends how you define "skating."

Skating as in good ledges and fun spots with great weather... yeah, not so good.

Skating as in smoking cigarettes and wearing crazy pants bc you're different than everyone else... then yeah, it's the best.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
From what I can tell from the previous two posts, it looks like, as long as you aren't a fucking pussy, you should be able to have fun skating New York.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:59:52 AM »
From what I can tell from the previous two posts, it looks like, as long as you aren't a fucking pussy, you should be able to have fun skating New York.
Its relative.  New York is easily one of the best cities in the world, but skating there is for a certain type.  I don't know a ton of people who actually like skating in the bitter cold and there aren't a ton of spots you can post up at all day and session.  If you live there you have time to go explore the whole city and that's amazing, if you are visiting for a few days you might be bummed at getting kicked out of almost every amazing spot and settling for far shittier ones.  It's a better city for living in than skating.

shark tits

ibuproficient

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
i mean the spots look small and shitty or big and shitty and i don't belive in skatepark or manmade spots or using bondo or wax and all these spots seem to use all that cheater stuff. the brooklyn banks look like they arn't bricks but dirt, its also so dirty and a million people spit on the street their everyday and everything is way too crusty. is it legit to skate their, how are cops?? the metal curbs seem cool tho, also how cold does it get iin wintertime? are flights cheap?

You seem like the worst kind of person..
-It's a goddamned toy, and you're acting like a child.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »
Phoenix>ny>sf

The hills become exhausting in sf
Its too hot in PHX during summer
Its too cold in ny during winter
Try moving around like a bird

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »
I enjoyed it during the summer. I had a pretty gnarly fall on a hill in Brooklyn with kind of took out any "serious" skating for the rest of the trip but the spots were what you'd expect for the most part. I think I was expecting some to be way worse than they actually were just from NY's "rough spots" reputation. I do regret not skating the Banks. Fave spot was probably the Alligator ledge, lmao.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Its relative.  New York is easily one of the best cities in the world, but skating there is for a certain type.  I don't know a ton of people who actually like skating in the bitter cold and there aren't a ton of spots you can post up at all day and session.  If you live there you have time to go explore the whole city and that's amazing, if you are visiting for a few days you might be bummed at getting kicked out of almost every amazing spot and settling for far shittier ones.  It's a better city for living in than skating.
Nope.
Too cold, too many people, metal edge curbs<red painted curbs, way too cold plus its really, really cold.
Best place ever for drinking and looking at girls though.

Why are yall planning your skate trips to NY in winter? Spring, Fall, Summer?? You know it’s warm then right?

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
yeah it's finally warming up here but still pretty miserable. supposed to be 50+ degrees or something next weekend.

it's hard to skate here when you have a full-time job. it takes long as fuck to get anywhere to meet up with dudes so i mostly do solo sessions down the street to the schoolyard.
For Your Health

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 07:13:03 PM »
I enjoyed it during the summer. I had a pretty gnarly fall on a hill in Brooklyn with kind of took out any "serious" skating for the rest of the trip but the spots were what you'd expect for the most part. I think I was expecting some to be way worse than they actually were just from NY's "rough spots" reputation. I do regret not skating the Banks. Fave spot was probably the Alligator ledge, lmao.
i live here and I can see that. You can post up, there aren’t a million people, and you can drink beers there. Skating in nyc has a learning curve because of the population, once you stop caring about that it is one of the best cities in the world to skate in. Also once you stop caring a side effect is you might start wearing funny pants..........

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:03:49 AM »
if you can't stomach the variables of a big city then why would you come here to skate street?

just hit parks and scheme on hoes.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 04:21:00 AM »
Skating in NYC is so good if you actually skate the city. And by that I mean, skating around with a small crew down the street and up and down curbs and occasionally stopping at a "spot" for 15 mins MAX so one or 2 people can try a trick... That's the way to skate NYC and it's super fun.

If you're the type of person that spends all day at the same ledge in some secluded part of a city park or is used to skating in skateparks it'll probably be tough to wrap your head around that.