Author Topic: Daan on Nike bitches  (Read 50712 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: Daan on Nike bitches
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2017, 02:43:40 AM »
Atiba, for the record, I enjoy the banter, just wanted to say that. Now..

The whole better quality thing is such bullshit. I’ve been given Adidas and Nike shoes and in no way shape or form have they performed better than any pair of Emericas or Lakais’ I’ve ever owned.

The skaters I just named are just the first ones that popped into my head, I’m sure there are hundreds of other examples since like I said before Nike sponsor pretty much half the industry.

Not sure of any examples of people being “left hanging” by Crailtap. Are you talking about guys that got left on flow or am? Yeah the list is probably big, but I don’t think the riders shoes have had anything to do with it. Look at current and old riders.

Olsen - Vans
Mike Mo - DC
Malto - Nike
Kenny - Cons

I guess Nike is my boogeyman after all.

Totally, I like it too.  This isn’t some scorched earth Gipper thing.

I’m talking about Antonio Durao most notably and other guys listed the thread about it

I did the bulk of my skating before Nike or adidas were really in skateboarding and I wore all the core shoe companies that are still around today, like es, Emerica, Lakai and dc and I liked the way those brands made shoes back then.   I don’t wear any of them anymore, it’s a little bit of being 30 and not 16 and a little bit of some of those core brands not having designs that appeal to me anymore.  I don’t bedrudge anyone that wears them or people that don’t like Nike, I just don’t think they are an implicitly negative influence in the industry, and if anything the scale likely tips more in the positive direction. 

Kenny’s kind of a cons lifer.  He was with them in the Helium shoes days. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:45:12 AM by Atiba Applebum »

rejectpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2017, 03:46:00 AM »
either one or the other he is still gonna be amazing at skateboarding.
i'm over this whole nike sucks it ruining skateboarding.
contests dont appeal to me what so ever so i dont watch them, dont give a shit about what nike does to them.
but their team is so stack, good and bad, but at this point the good outweighs the bad in terms of skater.

look at Nikes Euro squad and Australian squad, they're both so legit and hook up so many good dudes
Alex Olsen and the 917 squad are rippers, Nick Boserio, Oski.
bloody GT, Ishod, CK1, BA, Janoski, Worrest.. the list goes

they do so much more for me than watching the 'head to toe' Nike contest dudes.

In saying all this i will still never buy/wear any of their product
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »
either one or the other he is still gonna be amazing at skateboarding.
i'm over this whole nike sucks it ruining skateboarding.
contests dont appeal to me what so ever so i dont watch them, dont give a shit about what nike does to them.
but their team is so stack, good and bad, but at this point the good outweighs the bad in terms of skater.

look at Nikes Euro squad and Australian squad, they're both so legit and hook up so many good dudes
Alex Olsen and the 917 squad are rippers, Nick Boserio, Oski.
bloody GT, Ishod, CK1, BA, Janoski, Worrest.. the list goes

they do so much more for me than watching the 'head to toe' Nike contest dudes.

In saying all this i will still never buy/wear any of their product

This. Nowadays it's just a losing argument, unfortunately. I'll keep my thoughts to myself, and their team is undoubtedly amazing, but I too am not a fan of the nike athletic kit and if I had it my way Nike would've never found its way into skateboarding/shops. You can only dislike a company so much when they have the above dudes you listed, and no maybe Daan but im still not convinced

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 112
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »
yo its the fucking holidays and yall are over here sad that a 20 year old dutch kid is gonna wear nikes in his new footage lmfao

Fo sho.
Enjoy your life.

BUNDUS

• Rep: 0
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
 :'(

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »

So far is this the only pic confirming what this thread is about? Cool.

If he does switch he'll just blend in with all the other dudes, Vans had some good coverage of him and so does Volcom,if the head to toe sponsorship is true then thats a lot less Daan. This is just what I've seen with other dudes that got the swoosh in the past,but dude is killing it right now so I'm probably wrong.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
It's now been confirmed via euro TM that Daan will be skating for PUMA upon their 2018 relaunch. Him and Addie Fridy will be the two AMs on the squad while Chaz Ortiz will be their only pro.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
It's now been confirmed via euro TM that Daan will be skating for PUMA upon their 2018 relaunch. Him and Addie Fridy will be the two AMs on the squad while Chaz Ortiz will be their only pro.

So he got demoted to am?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »
Not sure if it's been brought up yet but Nike's also the reason why Guy and Koston had to end up leaving Girl, since Mike couldn't have Guy leaving two Crail companies and have Koston leave one of the last two he was on, but expect to stay on Girl.
Of course you can take all my Nike criticism with a grain of salt because I just bought a pair of CTAS highs and love them
Koston and Guy left Crailtap because they didn't see any of the royalties from the sale of Fourstar... I.E. a skater-owned brand fucked them over. Shocking!
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So he got demoted to am?

Must have. The corporate entities at PUMA probably talked with the 18 about bringing him back to the AM ranks for marketability reasons.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
That contract mentioned above seems like chump change for an elite practitioner of the sport.  Hate to put it in those terms but those are the terms it's probably already in in some evil boardroom with pentagrams exquisitely etched under the conference table and children roasting in wall ovens nearby. 

Don't really fuck with nike but i have some augmented lunarlons (from onestars i ran fp's in) in some some huf classic hi's.  First time trying lunarlons, and the way they feel are making me realize how seductive the dark forces in the universe can be.  godspeed Daan.  godspeed.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

So he got demoted to am?
[close]

Must have. The corporate entities at PUMA probably talked with the 18 about bringing him back to the AM ranks for marketability reasons.

Explains the AH trip to Israel.  Puma is a known patron of the Israeli army

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #192 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if it's been brought up yet but Nike's also the reason why Guy and Koston had to end up leaving Girl, since Mike couldn't have Guy leaving two Crail companies and have Koston leave one of the last two he was on, but expect to stay on Girl.
Of course you can take all my Nike criticism with a grain of salt because I just bought a pair of CTAS highs and love them
[close]
Koston and Guy left Crailtap because they didn't see any of the royalties from the sale of Fourstar... I.E. a skater-owned brand fucked them over. Shocking!

That story always was super fucked and suspicious. I don't doubt its true but like, how do you NOT sue over that if you're entitled to something?

Backheels

• Rep: -160
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Luan rode for Volcom, Malto for 4 star, Theotis for Altamont and they all became walking billboards after getting on Nike.

If you wanna keep standing up for Nike like they have skateboardings best interests at heart then carry on supporting them and watch actual skate companies crumble because of it. Soon you’re dream of there only being 3 companies to choose from for skate footwear may even become a reality, how sick will that be! Am I right!?
[close]

Oh sick, Two contest skaters and a guy who wears Mountain Dew hats have become walking billboards because of Nike?  Almost sounds like my original point.  Again, legit people don’t become kooks because of Nike, kooks are the same, they just come with better paychecks and better made clothes.

And I don’t know if anyone’s let you know, but pro skaters job is being walking billboards.  They don’t get free clothes and decks From their sponsors to be nice.  They are there to wear the their sponsors shit.   So wearing a Nike t-shirt isn’t anymore or less of being a billboard than wearing a Droors shirt.

Worried about the industry?  How many sick skaters have been left hanging by Crailtap/Carroll because they won’t be head to toe Girl/Lakai.  How many skaters have been given the opportunity to start their own company because of the money they get from Nike.  There are obviously bad things that come from their presence because as with literally everything in the world, there are good and bad sides.   Nike’s been around for 15 something years and I haven’t seen skateboarding killed.   I’ve heard of some shops closing, but shops also closed before then too.    But if you want to have a boogeyman, fine.
daan is off the vans skate team site ,🤔👀👀

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
Heard there is an Antihero Dunk Hi quick strike coming soon.

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »

damn. shoulda been blazers.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2018, 07:50:40 PM »

Surely it'd be at Agenda

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

That story always was super fucked and suspicious. I don't doubt its true but like, how do you NOT sue over that if you're entitled to something?
Who knows how the deals were created in the 90's.

My guess would be that Crailtap just issued a bunch more shares in their company reducing whatever Koston and Guy had to worthless amounts. It was probably structured as a cash infusion to save the brands, and not a deal where Mike, Rick, Megan, and Spike cashed out. Guy and Koston probably maintained the same amount of shares, but with drastically reduced equity. Considering how people talk about the financial shape of Crailtap, it might not be worth it to go after the owners with lawyers that would probably put some of your friends still there out of work. If you won they'd probably just declare bankruptcy and never pay you, so you are just wasting money on litigation for minimal gain.

I think it's pretty telling that Koston won't go into detail about it. Koston may be a hot head, but for whatever reasons he never went into detail about what happened with Lakai (what appears to have happened is the brothers who owned Podium were lying about the numbers) and he hasn't gone in-depth about leaving Girl anywhere, outside of saying he never planned on leaving and starting a board brand at 40.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Who knows how the deals were created in the 90's.

My guess would be that Crailtap just issued a bunch more shares in their company reducing whatever Koston and Guy had to worthless amounts. It was probably structured as a cash infusion to save the brands, and not a deal where Mike, Rick, Megan, and Spike cashed out. Guy and Koston probably maintained the same amount of shares, but with drastically reduced equity. Considering how people talk about the financial shape of Crailtap, it might not be worth it to go after the owners with lawyers that would probably put some of your friends still there out of work. If you won they'd probably just declare bankruptcy and never pay you, so you are just wasting money on litigation for minimal gain.

I think it's pretty telling that Koston won't go into detail about it. Koston may be a hot head, but for whatever reasons he never went into detail about what happened with Lakai (what appears to have happened is the brothers who owned Podium were lying about the numbers) and he hasn't gone in-depth about leaving Girl anywhere, outside of saying he never planned on leaving and starting a board brand at 40.

I definitely see Kostons reluctance to speak on the issue as an indicator to something having gone awry. Guy at that point probably had little to no say but kostons pull and overall brand at crail arguably kept it afloat and kept a lot of those dudes paid where crailtap couldn't . He left es over not getting more say in the company and a bit of ownership, don't see how that wouldnt be the same with crailtap. It's not like Rick and Carroll were keeping it afloat with board sales. Either way we have Nike now and it's arguable they've done more for skaters the last decade then anyone else. I mean they got us courthouse back even if it's getting torn down in next few years. And yes that's true the city will be tearing down courthouse in the new future but they're rebuilding something in it's place from what I've heard.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2018, 01:03:21 AM »
Thread about Daan but talking crailtap?

So WTF is happening with Daan, he going puma/nike or what?

Killyoureself4000

« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2018, 05:05:57 AM »
LOOK AT WHAT I HAVE CREATED

Pigeon

« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2018, 06:51:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

not wanting to throw away 20 years of friendship and the Nike money probably made it easier to move on. Plus, they invested their money properly, and didn’t piss it away on alcohol and tobacco.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2018, 07:00:09 AM »
My belief is that the new owners came in and reset the budget for the team. Guy and Koston weren't taking the hit so they split. I doubt that Guy had any real shares to cash in when Altamont bought them. Koston may have had a few, but it was nothing to offset the new reduction in salary/royalties. Neither side seems particularly bitter about the departure. The Lakai staff was full of redundancies over at HUF. That's why they had to go.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2018, 12:03:38 PM »
GT influence. Sad to see Daan of Vans.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »
Thread about Daan but talking crailtap?

So WTF is happening with Daan, he going puma/nike or what?

I love that someone took me seriously and is waiting to see if Daan Van Der Linden will get on puma. I love slap

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2018, 01:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
not wanting to throw away 20 years of friendship and the Nike money probably made it easier to move on. Plus, they invested their money properly, and didn’t piss it away on alcohol and tobacco.

True, but in my mind, fucking me out of making decisions for or receiving money from a company I helped found would be a pretty easy way to throw away my friendship.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

True, but in my mind, fucking me out of making decisions for or receiving money from a company I helped found would be a pretty easy way to throw away my friendship.
The thing is how much money is their really left to pick off the corpse of crailtap. If they are in as bad financial shape as people think, you are just paying for litigation for a company that would declare bankruptcy and you collect nothing.

Pigeon

« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »
just realized they call it, “The 1-8,” because there are 18 holes on a golf course

Does the insole have Andy Roy’s artwork?

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2018, 07:06:05 AM »
here ya go folks

Jacob Gary

« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2018, 07:24:27 AM »
here ya go folks

Finally some sauce...Eight pages later.