Author Topic: How cold is too cold?  (Read 17687 times)

rejectpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
Re: How cold is too cold?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
20 degree Fahrenheit is -6.66 Celcius! perfect skateweather
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
around 0c because bushings become way to hard. without that it wouldn't be any problem, just layer up.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
Anything lower than 40, raised on SoCal so NorCal weather sucks and being too cold takes more time to warm up and I get unmotivated and just want to stay home

Also are we not pointing out that straight was mid call?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ultsi

• Rep: -4
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
David Engerer never gets cold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNyPOSmZlI

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
Eh, I was out skating in single digits last year since it was still dry. Main thing is slamming feels worse and your feet get hella cold. But I'm a Minnesota native and I'm also used to biking all winter long so maybe it's just me. But as long as it's dry and I've got long johns it's all good.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Anything lower than 40, raised on SoCal so NorCal weather sucks and being too cold takes more time to warm up and I get unmotivated and just want to stay home

Duuuuuude c'mon. 40F is friggin' warm as shit when you're on the East Coast! T-shirt weather!

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
In Canada, as long as there's no snow or frost, we skate.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
I'm back in my hometown for the holidays and went skating the other day in 35F and it was pretty sketchy not only for the cold. I was skating this covered marble spot and it felt like an ice rink with all the humidity. I was scared to do a lot of tricks I normally do. This is probably because I'm living where it's 60+ all December long atm, it's really amazing.
When I was in highschool I used to skate around the 0C mark all winter, shoveling snow and layering up like an onion but fuck that I don't miss it at all. Plus all my friends come up with even more excuses and I have to lone wolf it.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »
Too cold for me is anything below 45. Although I seem to get stuck in 40 degree weather from time to time cause my skate homies are stubborn and want to skate in some cold ass shit. I was raised skating in Hawaii and now live in Colorado and I hate the friggn' cold.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Duuuuuude c'mon. 40F is friggin' warm as shit when you're on the East Coast! T-shirt weather!

West Coast man, is this when we throw fades?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
Man y'all are some bitches

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2017, 03:52:49 PM »
Currently -27 where I am. I've skated flatground in -10ish but can't do it for long since everything tightens up

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »
I would skate in low single digit weather almost every day back when I still lived in the northeast. Every winter I’d swap vulcs for a cupsole, wear wool socks with a backup pair in my bag, and would rock underarmour tops and bottoms under my clothes. You’re fucked if you slam before you’re fully warmed up though. You can’t shake that pain away when it’s that cold
fuck you bama

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
Currently -27 where I am. I've skated flatground in -10ish but can't do it for long since everything tightens up

yep, -10 is about the magic number in canada. We bring lil propane torches to keep your trucks loose. hurts like fuck if you slam too, like 100 times worse than normal
Gentleman ninja warlock

Mr. Fink

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »
Ice cold! Alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright okay now ladies!

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »
Gotta tuck in the first layer and keep that body heat circulating.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »
Once it hits about fifteen degrees things get pretty miserable. Not to derail the convo either, but I will say, investing in a proper set of baselayers and a windproof jacket will really help out whenever it's super cold outside. Most people who wear cotton--t-shirt, hoodie, longsleeve, whatever--next to their skin put themselves in a pretty crappy position as soon as they begin to sweat because that material soaks up moisture and keeps it close to your skin, which, in turn, makes you pretty damn cold. Add in a top layer that allows wind to penetrate, and you're basically screwed 'cause that cold air is going to push right through to your core, cool down that layer of sweat even more, and your body is pretty much robbed of any insulation it may have worked to create.

If yall have tips on making skating under 40 degrees less of a struggle, derail away...

SWPhillyFloater

• Rep: 63
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »
It was around 25 F with a decent amount of wind today.  I just said fuck it and bundled up and was able to get a solid session at my local park.  Just gotta keep skating around to stay warm.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Once it hits about fifteen degrees things get pretty miserable. Not to derail the convo either, but I will say, investing in a proper set of baselayers and a windproof jacket will really help out whenever it's super cold outside. Most people who wear cotton--t-shirt, hoodie, longsleeve, whatever--next to their skin put themselves in a pretty crappy position as soon as they begin to sweat because that material soaks up moisture and keeps it close to your skin, which, in turn, makes you pretty damn cold. Add in a top layer that allows wind to penetrate, and you're basically screwed 'cause that cold air is going to push right through to your core, cool down that layer of sweat even more, and your body is pretty much robbed of any insulation it may have worked to create.
[close]

If yall have tips on making skating under 40 degrees less of a struggle, derail away...
Shouldn't be any sort of struggle. Beanie, long sleeve shirt, and you're good to go 35 and up, anything down to about 20 you'll need a sweater, and below that throw a windbreaker on over it

pistachio

• Rep: -4
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's really all about moisture management because moisture and cold air don't mix well. Think about whenever you're in a hot shower and you're fine because there's fresh warm water running continually, but as soon as you step out and are exposed to cooler air with a a bit of water on your body, you're much colder. Also, certain fibers are a lot more effective at pulling moisture away from your body and onto the face of the fabric so that you remain dry and work to keep itself warm while your sweat is pushed forward and allowed to dry quickly off of the face of the fabric. Like I said, cotton is pretty crappy for managing moisture because it just retains your sweat and continually soaks it up and doesn't dry quickly at all. Merino wool and polyester are probably your best bet, with merino being better but more expensive. I use Patagonia's thermal weight baselayer because they're very lightweight and don't add unnecessary bulk to restrict your mobility when skating; they also have a ribbed fleece interior that pulls your sweat forward while the non-ribbed part adds some breathability. I guess the next step is something that can insulate. If it's not super cold, like ten to upper teens, a hoody and a sweatshirt or something like that will work just fine in combination with a windbreaker, and while it may be made from cotton, it's not as large a concern since it's not right at your body--still, however, it's best to avoid cotton whenever you can. If you're really dedicated and it's colder than that, I'd use a jacket with either down or synthetic insulation. Like the wool, down will be lighter but a bit more costly. Then last is a windbreaker so that cold air/wind doesn't penetrate all of the insulation your body has worked to create. Another key thing is to avoid cotton socks if you can. Socks are another time where merino wool prevails because you won't be faced with moisture being near your feet and having to worry about it cooling you down. My response is probably a bit lengthy and nerdy, but I spend a lot of time outside during the winter off of my skateboard and a lot of the same techniques cross over really well to cruising around on shitty days.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
If the sun is out, it's dry and your bushings aren't frozen then why not?

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yep, -10 is about the magic number in canada. We bring lil propane torches to keep your trucks loose. hurts like fuck if you slam too, like 100 times worse than normal

slams are the worst in cold weather, also tend to crack my board way more.
me and friends will still bring rails and boxes to underground lots still.

A guy I grew up skating with and skate with still did this 2 winters ago, 360 flip in -30
http://www.instagram.com/p/BBs2cYGmCgS/?taken-by=double_0_levin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:54:47 PM by expired »

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Ivr_v7Gl8
i still wonder how they made ice hubbas, and then skated those hubbas..
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Pigeon

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »
whenever my dick shrivels up...like 10 F

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 10:17:32 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Ivr_v7Gl8
i still wonder how they made ice hubbas, and then skated those hubbas..
Totally forgot about this. Front blunt/Kf Front blunt is absolutely fucked on that thing given how slippery it must be. RIP CJ btw

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »
I just checked the weather and this is what the prospects are for the next week and a half  :-\

image hosting websites

Why's the warmest day when it's snowing tho 😩

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »
When I was younger there was no temp limit, just whenever there was no snow/we found some shelter we would skate,coldest would have been -28C where my bushings froze and exploded. Nowadays if it’s under +10C I’d rather go some indoor park ;D I live in southern part of Finland.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 07:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

slams are the worst in cold weather, also tend to crack my board way more.
me and friends will still bring rails and boxes to underground lots still.

A guy I grew up skating with and skate with still did this 2 winters ago, 360 flip in -30
http://www.instagram.com/p/BBs2cYGmCgS/?taken-by=double_0_levin

Sick!  You in winterpeg? I see ya rocking that green apple son! Respect
Gentleman ninja warlock

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »
It's too cold right now.