Author Topic: Gear that you tried and didn’t like  (Read 23607 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Gear that you tried and didn’t like
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2018, 10:30:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Crupies, way too thin and doesnt slide at all on some smooth concrete sidewalks.

@Rob, I just set up some wayward 101s and they feel significantly better in terms of slide and overall feel, just first impressions though. Can't speak to the durability of either wheel yet though as I gave up on the crupies real quick
[close]

You need to break your Crupies in, get those treads worn down some.  They're pretty deep. I noticed the lack of sliding too but powered through. They're solid wheels.

The treads are gone, a little bit better but something about the slide just feels off. It could honestly have as much to do with the slim profile as it does the urethane, but I just got some wide waywards and the slide is far more satisfying. Those crupies would be great at parks, but any terrain thats somewhat chunky the slim profile is going to be problematic.

Trashcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2018, 10:55:37 PM »
Anyone remember Autobahn bearings? Tried them a few years back, lasted about a month. Went back to Bones Reds.

Emerica Leo Romero 1, those things fell apart faster than you can say "air five me dude."
Was bummed since I had a great experience with the Emerica Heretics.

fergus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2018, 11:42:46 PM »
One of those psstix boards that starts as an 8.5, but tapers to 8.25 over the back trucks.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2018, 11:42:56 PM »
I just finished a 6-month "try out" of the 8.25" Thunder Team Hollows. The biggest problem I had with them was that whole baseplate-does-not-clear-distance-of-wheels issue. Unless the curb/ledge/etc was waxed to high hell by some turboclown, nose/tails slides always stuck on me from the wheels hitting the edge (riding 53mm Spits). This problem does not exist on any other truck. Once I was back on Indys I also realized the lower height, and longer wheels base, of Thunders just didn't have the same "pop" as Indys, despite Indys being heavier. Also, Indys turn. I am glad a tried Thunders, because now I can say with certainty, "Ride the best, fuck the rest."

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
I just finished a 6-month "try out" of the 8.25" Thunder Team Hollows. The biggest problem I had with them was that whole baseplate-does-not-clear-distance-of-wheels issue. Unless the curb/ledge/etc was waxed to high hell by some turboclown, nose/tails slides always stuck on me from the wheels hitting the edge (riding 53mm Spits). This problem does not exist on any other truck. Once I was back on Indys I also realized the lower height, and longer wheels base, of Thunders just didn't have the same "pop" as Indys, despite Indys being heavier. Also, Indys turn. I am glad a tried Thunders, because now I can say with certainty, "Ride the best, fuck the rest."
After trying every truck brand on the market in every size, I can safely say that Indy are part of the rest.

edit: but god damn do they have the best team/branding
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:39:23 AM by Firebert »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »
I don't know much,but what I do know is that if it was me,or anyone else grinding the ledges in my sig, they were running Indy's. You might get lucky to get a little scratch in on other trucks,but there was just something about Indy's going the distance.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
Indys were the only trucks I had to have kingpins break, I even waited to be sent a kingpin in the mail like a sucker, put it back together, rolled down my drive way and the other kingpin broke. Threw em right in the trash, where they belonged and hopefully are still to this day.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Adidas Busenitz. Sat on a pair for 5 years and ended up selling them.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
After trying every truck brand on the market in every size, I can safely say that Indy are part of the rest.

Right! But thunder truly is the leader in control! And response!

Yeah Indy’s are very ehhhhhh

But very true what you said, marketing and branding is key.
yes

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
Indys were the only trucks I had to have kingpins break, I even waited to be sent a kingpin in the mail like a sucker, put it back together, rolled down my drive way and the other kingpin broke. Threw em right in the trash, where they belonged and hopefully are still to this day.

Did you put too much weight up front doing a crook? Early stages sucked with that shit but after stage 7 or 8 that and the axle slipping stopped being a thing

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Give us some detailed observations on what you liked/disliked about different brands. That stuff is always good to read.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Right! But thunder truly is the leader in control! And response!

Yeah Indy’s are very ehhhhhh

But very true what you said, marketing and branding is key.

I love the lower height of thunders, WB lengthening & pop but...I can't get them carvy enough based on the geo and how I like to skate.

Theeve have been treating me super well of late. I get a quicker turn than Indy and as close to ACE as I can get...some weight reduction (tikings, going to upsize to 8.5 and get some tiax hangers) and more stability than ACE or Indy but not close to thunders; height-wise even tho they claim 55mm, they don't feel tippy like Indys or Krux do.

The only thing I'm having a tough time with are the bushings, the stocks are too hard and really tall(er than anything other than Bitch bushings) so I'm using stock theeve bottoms and soft bones tops (with bones washers top and bottom as the Kingpins are really long it seems or the stock theeves are taller, I'd have to check, than the bones tops because I get a lot of thread exposed).

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »

The only thing I'm having a tough time with are the bushings, the stocks are too hard and really tall(er than anything other than Bitch bushings) so I'm using stock theeve bottoms and soft bones tops (with bones washers top and bottom as the Kingpins are really long it seems or the stock theeves are taller, I'd have to check, than the bones tops because I get a lot of thread exposed).

I had the same problems On my thunder 149s, but I circumvented it backwards from you:
  • I swapped my bottom bushings out with hard white doh-dohs
  • flat-filed down the top stock bushings by hand (100 years worth of work.)
  • Lastly, I scrapped the bottom most washer on both trucks, while leaving the washer at the top of the kingpin intact.
now they are loose as a bitch,but still i have control, for the most part.

I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
Adidas Busenitz (too narrow and felt like they had lifts in them)
Regular formula OJs
(messup with) Jessup

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wayward wheels are dog shit
[close]
I just bought a pair on sale :(
(luckily I also have a pair of spitfire classics F4 99s on ice in case the are that bad)
[close]

Any feedback Imp??
mate, I haven't set them up yet as a have a northern co./ spitfire classic F4 setup that I'm going to ride first. Sorry bout that

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wayward wheels are dog shit
[close]
I just bought a pair on sale :(
(luckily I also have a pair of spitfire classics F4 99s on ice in case the are that bad)
[close]

Any feedback Imp??
[close]
mate, I haven't set them up yet as a have a northern co./ spitfire classic F4 setup that I'm going to ride first. Sorry bout that

I have some 101 wayward round cut fulls that I'm currently skating. They seem to hold speed well and are quite hard. Slide is nice and responsive, compared to 99 f4s, I'd say the slide is very similar, maybe a bit easier to break into a slide as they are 101, and a bit barkier. Good wheels so far

fartface

• Rep: 8
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2018, 02:07:12 AM »
Ricta air cores back in the day, felt plastic as shit.
Those Nike SB's with a big toe cap, never got along with my feet.
Jessup never worked for me.
FKD bearings.
"Childhood diabetes on lock"

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2018, 06:28:10 AM »
Nike Sb blazers with toe cap
Nike Sb corey's with toe cap

HATED them.

Tried the adidas matchcourt and they're incredible.
Figured out I loved the toe shape of the matchcourt much more.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »

HATED them.

That was also my issue with the Blazers. Great looking shoe, but was never able to get used to how tall the toe on it was.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2018, 12:18:11 PM »
Kontrol Wheels. Was given a set of these and they were about as slippery as skating in the rain. Felt like plastic too.

Probably should have kept them around for longest powerslide challenges.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
Expand Quote

HATED them.

[close]
I skated Even's shoe, Huf Classic and now matchcourts.....the shoe is better but too much toe cap man.....it'll last but it's just so clunky....

Gonna skate regular ass Blazers next...

That was also my issue with the Blazers. Great looking shoe, but was never able to get used to how tall the toe on it was.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »
Add the Adidas Suciu to this list for me - heel slippage even after trying other insoles - adiprene is comfy but not worth the effort of putting your foot in this shoe, even without laces my sock would not slide over that insole.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2018, 03:38:33 AM »
Add the Adidas Suciu to this list for me - heel slippage even after trying other insoles - adiprene is comfy but not worth the effort of putting your foot in this shoe, even without laces my sock would not slide over that insole.

adidas: sizing never works for me....busenitz pro is too big in size 8 and my heel slips out, 7,5 too short and my heel still feels like slipping out the shoe all the time......

converse CTAS: was so excited when i first got them but couldn't get my flip tricks proper with the toe cap. if i skated transition only that would be the only shoe but since i mostly skate flatground and ledges i never got it to work. i also felt like the shoe was too still around the front due to the toecap and flimsy towards the back so my heel was all over the place and i didn't wanna lace those all the way up cause i think it looks stupid!

wayward wheels: got them given to me from a friend. can't remember the formula but it might have been some 101a classic kinda shape didn't powerslide for shit so straight back to F4 99a classics and never looked back!

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2018, 08:59:13 AM »

i didn't wanna lace those all the way up cause i think it looks stupid!

That's on you, Holmes

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
Not sure if I said it before but the Huf Soto, fit tight and lacked arch support. Also rolled my ankle by swapping for something with slightly more arch support
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
I had a Foundation Fiberlam board that was awful. It flexed like a snowboard except I broke it in no time at all. Was kinda relived when it snapped, tbh. Never messed with gimmicky tech boards since.

NFLYoungboy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »
I tried some OJ's, size 57mm, Gresyon Fletchers not long ago. The wheel was fine, but didn't care much for the slide. It felt like whenever I tried to do so, it stuck midslide, leaving me rolling off to the side and going much slower than my F4's would. I still have them and I even ran them again not too long ago when the tread wore down some more, but I still had that sticky slide. Kinda disappointed considering all the GX1000 footy I've seen.

Also bought a pair of Reynolds (the midtop from 2012-13 ish) and some Indicator lows. The former was a bit too narrow with that internal bootie, and the latter felt too thin and had a shit insole to boot. Not too stoked on Emerica at the moment. Also, who do I have fight over at FA/Hockey to get them to make an 8.75 or a board with a wheelbase longer than just 14 inches? Tried two of their boards (dumb, I know.) and flowed them both to the homies. Any way, I'm done.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:05:35 PM by NFLYoungboy »

Pigeon

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
I tried some OJ's, size 57mm, Gresyon Fletchers Kinda disappointed considering all the GX1000 footy I've seen.

Also, who do I have fight over at FA/Hockey to get them to make an 8.75 or a board with a wheelbase longer than just 14 inches? Tried two of their boards (dumb, I know.) and flowed them both to the homies.
Skate faster.

Does this make you the Euro TM of FA/Hockey?

NFLYoungboy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:21 PM »
Expand Quote
I tried some OJ's, size 57mm, Gresyon Fletchers Kinda disappointed considering all the GX1000 footy I've seen.

Also, who do I have fight over at FA/Hockey to get them to make an 8.75 or a board with a wheelbase longer than just 14 inches? Tried two of their boards (dumb, I know.) and flowed them both to the homies.
[close]
Skate faster.

Does this make you the Euro TM of FA/Hockey?
Maybe, haha. Plus 4-5 aggro kicks couldn't smooth them out, at least on asphalt. Maybe I'll try another batch in the future.

Level 80 Undead Warlock

• Rep: -85
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
I bought a Scumco off of Tactics, not really worrying about the wb or concave, but I can say wholeheartedly that this is the worst shape I've ever skated.  8.5, 14" wb, SUPER FLAT, weird flat nose. It's fucked up and it's going in the recycling bin after 2 sessions.
HYPOCRITE.