Author Topic: Gear that you tried and didn’t like  (Read 23644 times)

ungzilla

Re: Gear that you tried and didn’t like
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »
lemme get a pin for that recycling bin

Pigeon

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »
I bought a Scumco off of Tactics, not really worrying about the wb or concave, but I can say wholeheartedly that this is the worst shape I've ever skated.  8.5, 14" wb, SUPER FLAT, weird flat nose. It's fucked up and it's going in the recycling bin after 2 sessions.
Sell it or send it to ungzilla in exchange for shipping costs.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2018, 04:23:38 PM »
I bought a Scumco off of Tactics, not really worrying about the wb or concave, but I can say wholeheartedly that this is the worst shape I've ever skated.  8.5, 14" wb, SUPER FLAT, weird flat nose. It's fucked up and it's going in the recycling bin after 2 sessions.

Is Scumco pennswood? If so I think I've skated the same shape before. Was not a fan either, wayyyyy too short for me, as I usually skate 8.5 or 8.62 dlx boards with 14.5+ wheelbases. Got used to it after a few skates though, and it was actually kinda good for some tricks, can see it being good for really short people who like a wide board.

Level 80 Undead Warlock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is Scumco pennswood? If so I think I've skated the same shape before. Was not a fan either, wayyyyy too short for me, as I usually skate 8.5 or 8.62 dlx boards with 14.5+ wheelbases. Got used to it after a few skates though, and it was actually kinda good for some tricks, can see it being good for really short people who like a wide board.
Yea it's Pennswood. It's this one.
http://www.scumcoandsons.com/merch/kyle-nicholson-perfect-pour-xz6aj-nkerr
Fucking boo boo, choad of a deck. Going to leave it Roosevelt park tomorrow if it's not raining in the morning, go get it.
HYPOCRITE.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
may have dodged the bullet on that one it seems ... was eyeing a few of them up before I got my northern co.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »
I can't do pennswood. I tried one from a local company and it just felt weird

shit_for_brains

« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:23 AM »

Feels like skating a baseball bat

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
never had a problem skating Pennswood (i.e. ScumCo)
hardly art, hardly starving

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
Pennswood is great, a lot of scumco decks are stubby (short, fat, n flat)

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

wasn't zooyork pennswood a few years back ? had one and hated it, felt like a dead wood baseball bat too, or a shelf more precisely in my case

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

is there a difference in how they make their boards? it seems like the wood is really soft and mashes easily. the last 3 boards i've ridden were scumco
even the steven

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »
Bring this thread up again.

Tried a Welcome Big Bunyip for a few weeks and man did that deck disappoint. Got soggy super fast and flattened out big after the first week of light skating. Are all PS decks like this or is this just another one of their QA issues?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2018, 03:06:48 PM »
I really wanted to like Ace trucks but couldn't jibe with them.  Bought the redesigned 44's last year.  Tried running the stock bushings, Krux bushings, and recently got the new bushings that they use in their Classic's, and they are just too loose for me.  In Michigan we had what seemed like a 6 month long winter, and I gained some beer gut weight/didn't skate all winter, and the turning was too gnarly for me.  I went back to some older Indy Ti 149's and immediately felt more comfortable.  I enjoy skating the newish Thunder 149's and imagine I'd like the 148's too, but think I'll just stick with Indy from here on out.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »
wafflecup
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »
^I wanted to like the Gilbert Crockett 2s so bad. I got a pair for $15 at the outlet but just couldn’t deal with them. Felt so stiff and thin. Sold em to the homie for what I paid.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »
Vans Kyle Walker

Toe box is way too narrow and given the construction they don't see to mush out; Heel support was on point tho. Funny, I went with these over the crocketts as they were even narrower.

Anyone want a slightly used pair of Black (red stripe) US10 on the cheap?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
I’m wearing the quasi GC2s right now and I pretty much hate them. Sole feels like a brick but thin, and the whole shoe just feels off. I was planning on breaking them in and skating them but I cruised around the neighborhood a bit and they’re just awful.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
92a Ricta Clouds. They felt harder then 92a and wouldn't slide. SF Bigheads. Felt like chalk and wore quickly.

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »
I’m wearing the quasi GC2s right now and I pretty much hate them. Sole feels like a brick but thin, and the whole shoe just feels off. I was planning on breaking them in and skating them but I cruised around the neighborhood a bit and they’re just awful.

What?

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
Absolutely hate my adidas superstar vulc. Feels like skating on stilts and so much much heel slip despite being my size. I'll keep them to wear around but I don't understand how people skate that shoe.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2018, 06:34:26 PM »
Absolutely hate my adidas superstar vulc. Feels like skating on stilts and so much much heel slip despite being my size. I'll keep them to wear around but I don't understand how people skate that shoe.
I had the same experience with this shoe, and I feel like most people don't favor the adiprene insole for those reasons. I really wanted to like that shoe, but it doesn't even seem skateable. Don't understand how people are skating in it so well...

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
What?

Vans x Quasi Gilbert Crockett 2

Bensquirts

• Rep: 75
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I had the same experience with this shoe, and I feel like most people don't favor the adiprene insole for those reasons. I really wanted to like that shoe, but it doesn't even seem skateable. Don't understand how people are skating in it so well...
I had a pair that I just finished skating.  I had to remove that insole and replace it with a pair of state stock insoles.  The shoe skated amazingly after that.

To add to the list, Straye's felt like a Payless shoe.  One of the worst shoes I have ever worn hands down. The shoe felt clunky and poorly constructed.  My feet felt awful the two sessions I skated them.  Ended up giving them away.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
Huf shoes. Had the original black and white Huppers when they first came out in like 2011, felt awful, super super thick. Tried them again around 2014 hoping they'd work their shit out, still awful. I see some designs that I like but I can't get past it.

More controversially: I don't think that the formula fours were all that great. They felt like regular spits to me, which isn't a bad thing, just not as great as they were originally hyped as being.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »
Expand Quote
What?
[close]

Vans x Quasi Gilbert Crockett 2

The whole sole fell through on my buddy's and it was his third session in them. His shoe was talking. Granted this was after over six hours of skating during this one session.

NootNoot

« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2018, 12:23:23 AM »
Thunder trucks with forged baseplates (haven’t tried cast). They just feel dead like it takes more effort to pop off the ground. For some reason to me they feel like they are great if you only have to turn slightly side to side but they bottom out too fast, carving back and forth the path they create is a sin wave  but Indy’s allow you to create the same sin wave with sacrificing maybe a slightly longer period but twice the amplitude to work with. You sacrifice a lot of amplitude for a tiny decrease in period running thunders, that loss of precision can probably be accounted for in your brain and muscles but you can’t stop the trucks from bottoming out. Really noticed it when switching back and forth. 

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:53 AM »
busenitz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2018, 07:37:28 AM »

Currently skating a pair of Crockett 2's and agree with whats being said here about them. The upper on them sucks too. Not a big flip trick guy, but the upper on these things was already starting to go from a few heel flips. Ollie area is already busting a hole, because they put one of the major seams/stitching areas right there and only used a single stitch. Also the back heel of the sole is essentially just a large brick of thick ass hard rubber, and even rocking with FP insoles, will cause you're heels to feel sore after a long session.

Skated a pair of Walker Pro's before these, and those I did like. My only issues with he walkers was the the sole was slippery out of the box and took a while before they actually started to grip my board. Heel and ankle support on those was great once I swapped insoles. Almost rolled my ankle because of the stock ones a couple times on flat.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
currently skating the crockets 2, and had to make some adjustments, tongue was so thin and i hurt my front foot badly by crashing the board on it, had to double it with some superglued old romeros today, and lurnarlon instead of the brick heel thin toes supercush insole, and superglued all the exposed stitchings, of course, and now they're good, but almost dead
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:04:32 AM by the snake »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
I am also skating the Gilbert 2s and I like mine.