Author Topic: Gear that you tried and didn’t like  (Read 23619 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Gear that you tried and didn’t like
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  I don't think I can skate these 56 "g slide" wheels by bones.  Too heavey and don't slide.  I put my ricta 54s back on and it felt so light and better.
[close]

I think you mean Powell. They are a great cruiser wheel in my opinion, especially if you want something harder than 78a. I can slide/revert them pretty well. Only reason I use my OJ Super Juice more is because I skate home from the bar at 2AM and the G-Slides are a lot louder. Since I skate in my driveway everyday I don't wanna piss off my neighbors any more than I already do.

I didn't really like the Ricta Cloud 92a. They feel softer than my 85a G-Slides and their size/width makes them not that great of a cruiser wheel, so you can't really do much with them. Quality wheels, just don't see the point. Might as well go full street or full cruiser.
[close]

-You said you can do reverts with the g slides but can you throw 4 wheel slides on hills whenever with them?  That's what sliding means to me, -4 wheels.   Kudos if you can, you got some power.  Cruiser wheels aren't for me cause I can only fuck with one set up at a time.  One board guy.

You're right I don't do proper power slides with any wheels, but as far as 2-wheel hill bomb speed checks I found the G-Slides work better than any other cruiser wheel I've tried. I'm not convinced it's for any other reason than they are just harder than normal, but they still skate real smooth. For a non-cruiser setup they aren't going to work for sure.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2017, 11:14:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A friend gave me a Toy Machine board, shit was flat as fuck and heavy.
[close]

In 2018 (if they haven’t already) they are starting to use PS stix so fear no more
[close]

People keep saying that is that for real? Not that I'm calling you a liar but can anyone prove that? I would love to support them if they stop fucking around with that bullshit.
[close]

Toy has actually been PS Stix for a while now, well over a year. Waaaaaay back they were Watson. Then they changed to BBS and kept making a few of the classic logos on Watson wood. Then they changed the logo boards to a mix of BBS and PS, and now I believe it's all PS. But, they mostly use very flat PS molds. I've personally dug through the stacks at Tum Yeto, looking for a deck, and saw lots of inconsistencies in the shapes on each graphic which lead me to believe no one at Tum Yeto is too detail oriented about the wood (as in, some stacks of the same graphic had varying shapes etc).
[close]

Just skated a Toy Machine board and I wouldn't say it was flat....pretty solid medium....normally don't find PS stuff is ever really flat....
[close]

Hi Jsoy!  ;) I'd have to agree that most PS boards are fairly steep, but I was working somewhere with a lot of stock of Toy last winter and they seemed to be using mellower molds on those particular decks. One of my homies just had a Toy board that was super flat too (7.8"), but I haven't been paying much attention to them lately and you've actually ridden one. You still riding skinny boards?
[close]

I've sized up to an 8....the best is 8" with good concave ie. PS Stix which is what lead me back to toy machine....skating a 8" Magenta board and its flatter than the Toy Machine I skated....PS is consistency steeper than generator stuff which is why I gravitate towards them and the PS shapes are never pointy....

It depends what brand you choose. DLX brands have more boards pressed with the steeper molds, and they also now use roman numerals to signify where in the press each deck was, so if you like steeper concave you know which decks are from the top of the stack. DLX does the full shapes as well, which are extra square like most PS shapes are now. I'd love to try a PS board, but I can't stand those super square shapes, and almost all PS boards have big noses with short tails. I prefer a more symmetrical shape, though not to the extent of Ishod's symmetrical models. Magenta and many other brands use the 'stock' mold option from BBS/Generator which is a mid-to-flat concave. I also don't like pointy boards (ie the old classic baker/birdhouse taper shapes), but the super square is too far in the blunt direction. I rode the standard 8.125 BBS shape for years, which is a perfect popsicle with barely any taper, then moved up to 8.25. Now I'm onto the 8.3 range. You'd probably like the 8.06 full DLX shape.

I still haven't been to Ultimate since they moved, we should have a sesh there and then nerd out on boards.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:15:09 PM by Budgie Lasek »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  I don't think I can skate these 56 "g slide" wheels by bones.  Too heavey and don't slide.  I put my ricta 54s back on and it felt so light and better.
[close]

I think you mean Powell. They are a great cruiser wheel in my opinion, especially if you want something harder than 78a. I can slide/revert them pretty well. Only reason I use my OJ Super Juice more is because I skate home from the bar at 2AM and the G-Slides are a lot louder. Since I skate in my driveway everyday I don't wanna piss off my neighbors any more than I already do.

I didn't really like the Ricta Cloud 92a. They feel softer than my 85a G-Slides and their size/width makes them not that great of a cruiser wheel, so you can't really do much with them. Quality wheels, just don't see the point. Might as well go full street or full cruiser.
[close]

-You said you can do reverts with the g slides but can you throw 4 wheel slides on hills whenever with them?  That's what sliding means to me, -4 wheels.   Kudos if you can, you got some power.  Cruiser wheels aren't for me cause I can only fuck with one set up at a time.  One board guy.
[close]

You're right I don't do proper power slides with any wheels, but as far as 2-wheel hill bomb speed checks I found the G-Slides work better than any other cruiser wheel I've tried. I'm not convinced it's for any other reason than they are just harder than normal, but they still skate real smooth. For a non-cruiser setup they aren't going to work for sure.

Thats a sick way to speed check.  I couldn't even do that with them so they scare the fuk out of me.  When you say your not convinced, are you refering to the notion that the  larger nylon hub makes them more 'slideable'?  I think it does but more for longboarders.  Theres 'shortboard' guys I saw in the ad for these wheels and they're sliding the shit out of these.  -Don't know how they do that.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »
Quote from: givecigstosurfgroms

Thats a sick way to speed check.  I couldn't even do that with them so they scare the fuk out of me.  When you say your not convinced, are you refering to the notion that the  larger nylon hub makes them more 'slideable'?  I think it does but more for longboarders.  Theres 'shortboard' guys I saw in the ad for these wheels and they're sliding the shit out of these.  -Don't know how they do that.

I dunno, I think I'm not explaining it well. I basically slide them kinda like how they do in the 3 second parking garage clip of that ad. Sometimes at the top of hills I'll do sliding reverts just to slow down a bit, especially into blind spots. I do feel like I could probably slide them like in the ad if I was all padded up and hauling ass.

The hub probably makes a difference, but to me it just feels like they slide because they're a bit harder than normal.  I could be wrong. They also have a kinda chalky feeling. I had a lot harder time sliding my Ricta Cloud 92a, and of course my Super Juice I don't even try. I think they are great wheels for the right person.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2017, 06:03:30 PM »
Cheap Chinese hardware and bearings seem generally indistinguishable, but Lucky seemed to use the very cheapest quality. Bearing shields would fall after just opening the box.

Podium era vulcanized Lakai were some of the worst shoes ever.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »
Cheap Chinese hardware and bearings seem generally indistinguishable, but Lucky seemed to use the very cheapest quality. Bearing shields would fall after just opening the box.

Podium era vulcanized Lakai were some of the worst shoes ever.

I remember trying some Lucky ABEC7’s back in the day and came to the same conclusion. I believe it was right after those where I said fuck it and picked up some Bones Swiss for the first time.

Another random one to add to the list while remembering some other stuff I used back in the day. Phantom Trucks sucked.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2018, 06:36:47 AM »
Thunder 149s (before update): Wheelbite city

Indy 149 Stage 10: Not turny enough

Mob Grip: Front foot wouldn't drag, could barely ollie

Every Adidas skate shoe: Looks great, no cushioning

The Bird II: Actually, this was great. You don't even need to ollie to get up curbs, dude!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »
Ari's magical crystal grip tape.....

Pigeon

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
Gravis Dylan Mid, Fallen Rambler, Era & Old School Pro around 2015

Most of Vox was garbage and so was IPath after they added guys like Jon Goemann and Jaws...they got rid of the Grasshopper and Cats to make thin, vulc shoes like everyone else.

I never realized how shitty some shoes were until I hit my mid to late 20s. Calloused feet and a high tolerance for pain kept me oblivious.

Fuck Grizzly grip, by the way. The adhesive on it was shitty and I got heckled for not sanding my board before applying it, which is supposed to be the proper way...fuck them and Paradox. Before anyone asks, it was the all black with the perforated 2” bear in the lower half of the sheet.

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:35 PM »
Bronson G3, bought when the weather started warming up and were all broken by time it was consistently above 50 outside. Went back to reds and its been 7 months and no complaints.
Old boss sprung for the RAWS and said that one froze the second time he skated them so no bother for me to upgrade.
Spitfire Formula Four Kwalks. Bought as the same time as the bronsons, and to their credit I'm still skating them but I noticed they have way more chunks missing out of them than my SML wheels that I skated for nearly two years. Also, I have shamefully fallen while pushing because the wheels just slide all over the place. And I never felt I got the same response as my old SMLs either. Going back to SML or Bones in the spring.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2018, 06:09:57 AM »

14" wheelbase 8.25" Toy Machine China boards they sell in Europe.

Yeah, what is the deal with this? I saw a friend riding a toy board around 4 years ago (in Greece) and could not believe that they would put their logo on such a piece of shit. The board was really flat but in a bad way and the wood had no pop. Also, too many pressure cracks although the board looked like it had been skated for just a few hours. I have been wondering ever since. Saw some 5 boro's  and crail boards during the same period having similar issues with mad pressure cracks and absolutely no concave on the nose and tail.

Personal worst would be the element featherlight wheels. Surprised no one has mentioned these. I put them on, did 2 laps round the spot, took them of and carried on using my slightly flatspotted, year old set of whatever I was riding prior.
Etnies low cut (the new ones). What were they thinking when they chose that shitty plastic for outsole? it felt more like plastic than rubber, the most slippery soles ever - even when paired with mob it was still impossible to skate those shoes.
Lucky bearings circa 2010
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2018, 06:26:01 AM »
Expand Quote

14" wheelbase 8.25" Toy Machine China boards they sell in Europe.

[close]

Yeah, what is the deal with this? I saw a friend riding a toy board around 4 years ago (in Greece) and could not believe that they would put their logo on such a piece of shit. The board was really flat but in a bad way and the wood had no pop. Also, too many pressure cracks although the board looked like it had been skated for just a few hours. I have been wondering ever since. Saw some 5 boro's  and crail boards during the same period having similar issues with mad pressure cracks and absolutely no concave on the nose and tail.

Personal worst would be the element featherlight wheels. Surprised no one has mentioned these. I put them on, did 2 laps round the spot, took them of and carried on using my slightly flatspotted, year old set of whatever I was riding prior.
Etnies low cut (the new ones). What were they thinking when they chose that shitty plastic for outsole? it felt more like plastic than rubber, the most slippery soles ever - even when paired with mob it was still impossible to skate those shoes.
Lucky bearings circa 2010

The feather light cores? I had a pair, the core seperated from the wheel pretty early on. I wasted so much money on those. I forgot about them until just now.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2018, 06:27:21 AM »
surprised no one has mentioned the Huf Classics

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2018, 07:22:37 AM »
I like them... way better than emerica indicators imo which are mentioned in both threads (I think.)

Pigeon

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I like them... way better than emerica indicators imo which are mentioned in both threads (I think.)
Indicators have better support and stitching, but not boardfeel, but my pair is from last season I think. People were also saying that there was that slippery shit on the soles, that they use on shoes to reduce import costs...could have been an earlier season.

Classics have fucked my ankles and especially toes, where the rubber overlaps with the material by the bottom eyelet.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
They are pretty 'what you see is what you get'......not the best shoe but I never paid over $50 for them....no tread sucked but it's not like I didn't see that coming.....

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
It's true that Emerica sprayed felt on the soles of the first runs of the indicator which I've since been told was a production error.

IMO the Indicators have better board-feel due to the 3mm ortholite insole being the only padding. The insole in huf classics have a thicker heel than the indicators (around 5mm), and it cups your heel too, so I feel more supported in Classics. Keep in mind I'm talking about the mid/hi-top version of both.

le88

• Rep: -7
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »
Have to agree but dunk hi elites were god awful. Hard to put on, not comfortable at all, and my soles broke apart also

Those Bronson shieldless bearings are pieces of shit

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2018, 10:07:01 PM »
It's true that Emerica sprayed felt on the soles of the first runs of the indicator which I've since been told was a production error.

IMO the Indicators have better board-feel due to the 3mm ortholite insole being the only padding. The insole in huf classics have a thicker heel than the indicators (around 5mm), and it cups your heel too, so I feel more supported in Classics. Keep in mind I'm talking about the mid/hi-top version of both.

I was swapping back and forth between Huf Classic hi's and Even's DC shoe last couple years.....Even's won....now I've got match courts, blazers, and state salems....

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2018, 12:21:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Wayward wheels are dog shit
[close]
I just bought a pair on sale :(
(luckily I also have a pair of spitfire classics F4 99s on ice in case the are that bad)

Any feedback Imp??
yes

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2018, 01:45:50 AM »
Crupies, way too thin and doesnt slide at all on some smooth concrete sidewalks.

@Rob, I just set up some wayward 101s and they feel significantly better in terms of slide and overall feel, just first impressions though. Can't speak to the durability of either wheel yet though as I gave up on the crupies real quick

sorry

• Rep: -14
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2018, 05:12:23 AM »
Bronson G3, cages broke way too fast skatin basically only flat

Bones Bushings Medium, the hard part of the bushing got sucked into the soft part (I skate loose as fuck trucks)

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2018, 08:26:40 AM »
Have to agree but dunk hi elites were god awful. Hard to put on, not comfortable at all, and my soles broke apart also

Ditto on the dunk hi and low elites; couldn't get my foot into the hi's in the same size I wear in the regular hi's and the low's were super tight/painful.

Also agree on the Bronson Raw as they are just bearings without shields which get dirty faster and then die faster; not sure how I didn't see that coming.

Welcome are way too flat for my liking, but they do look nice on the wall so not a total loss.

All Adidas I've tried have either zero cushioning or have so much around the foot which completely crowds the shoe and makes it uncomfortable to skate along with a sweaty mess.

Nike Blazer XT are super narrow in the toebox.

...I'm old and I could gripe about a lot of product hardly ridden sitting under my garage mini.

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ditto on the dunk hi and low elites; couldn't get my foot into the hi's in the same size I wear in the regular hi's and the low's were super tight/painful.

Also agree on the Bronson Raw as they are just bearings without shields which get dirty faster and then die faster; not sure how I didn't see that coming.

Welcome are way too flat for my liking, but they do look nice on the wall so not a total loss.

All Adidas I've tried have either zero cushioning or have so much around the foot which completely crowds the shoe and makes it uncomfortable to skate along with a sweaty mess.

Nike Blazer XT are super narrow in the toebox.

...I'm old and I could gripe about a lot of product hardly ridden sitting under my garage mini.

I'm curious how much longer nike is gonna do the elite high. The majority of the people who have had them have had the soles fall apart. the only redeeming factor was when I sent them back they gave me a nike gift card for way more than I paid for the shoes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »
Crupies, way too thin and doesnt slide at all on some smooth concrete sidewalks.

@Rob, I just set up some wayward 101s and they feel significantly better in terms of slide and overall feel, just first impressions though. Can't speak to the durability of either wheel yet though as I gave up on the crupies real quick

Thanks for the feedback bro!! I’m strongly considering getting some but figuring out the 99 or the 101, I like grip more than slide but still want it. Might get both
yes

shit_for_brains

« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the feedback bro!! I’m strongly considering getting some but figuring out the 99 or the 101, I like grip more than slide but still want it. Might get both

If you're getting waywards I hope you like flat spots over both of those

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »

You need to break your Crupies in, get those treads worn down some.  They're pretty deep. I noticed the lack of sliding too but powered through. They're solid wheels.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2018, 05:31:08 PM »
They are pretty 'what you see is what you get'......not the best shoe but I never paid over $50 for them....no tread sucked but it's not like I didn't see that coming.....

I think that my biggest issue with the classics is that they wear down so fast. My friend when he first started skating got a pair, and blew a hole just trying to learn proper Ollie’s in some suede black ones in less than a week. His toe cap also looked like he had been doing kick flips and tres since day he got them.

However, if you find them on sale and have some shoe goo, they’re not bad. I think he picked his up for under $25. Once shoe goo’d, they lasted him a good month or so before tread blew out.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »
I just got a pair of canvas classics from a store that’s closing for $11. I liked my last pair but they were the shitty ones where the soul peels off. The flick is good in them but I mostly wore them when I skate tranny

Pigeon

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »
I just got a pair of canvas classics from a store that’s closing for $11. I liked my last pair but they were the shitty ones where the soul peels off. The flick is good in them but I mostly wore them when I skate tranny
Where?