Author Topic: Gear that you tried and didn’t like  (Read 23606 times)

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Gear that you tried and didn’t like
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
99'- I regretted a Blind board that snapped on a 180 down a set.
00's-Any truck that wasn't a Indy just didn't flow right or grind right,I've heard good things about Ace but I just bought new 149s so it'll be a while.

Same situation with any wheel thats not Spitfire, Revolution wheels sucked,Darkstar wheels were like riding jaw breakers,Rictas were okay at first then turned to dogshit after a month.

I also regret not buying Hard Luck bearings sooner,they are great.

Rowley solos fucked up my toes,I had bad luck in the AV classics a few years back. The last Lakais I had fell off my feet,literally. I dodged a bullet trying on Supras before impulse buying them,the insole felt like a sandal.

rowley solos gave my pinky the worst blisters because of the stitching

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
Expand Quote
00's-Any truck that wasn't a Indy just didn't flow right or grind right,I've heard good things about Ace but I just bought new 149s so it'll be a while.

Same situation with any wheel thats not Spitfire, Revolution wheels sucked,Darkstar wheels were like riding jaw breakers,Rictas were okay at first then turned to dogshit after a month.

Rowley solos fucked up my toes,I had bad luck in the AV classics a few years back. The last Lakais I had fell off my feet,literally. I dodged a bullet trying on Supras before impulse buying them,the insole felt like a sandal.
[close]

Exactly! I've been soaking my feet in Epsom salt more than lately because of those shoes. It took leaving them in my car on a hot day to break in and feel comfortable,but a few flip tricks in my pinky toe gets jacked.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Adidas Stan Smith vulc
[close]
terrible terrible shoe...

Funny story... the killer on the first episode of John Walsh's The hunt episodes changes into a pair of these shoes in the woods after killing his family...rewound it a few times cuz it threw me off and sure nuff...Stan Smith vulcs :o

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Exactly! I've been soaking my feet in Epsom salt more than lately because of those shoes. It took leaving them in my car on a hot day to break in and feel comfortable,but a few flip tricks in my pinky toe gets jacked.
I got two pairs of them on seperate occasions because I used to work at a shop that sold vans and it was the only time I was not thrilled to get free shoes. Solos were like the era pro only exponentially worse

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »
I really can't get into dlx boards. The long wheelbases don't go well with my stupid short legs. Every once in a while I'll cave and get a krooked board, thinking I'll get over the wheelbase but it never happens. I love the wood and the shape, but if they made an 8.25 x 31.5 with a 14 or 14.25 wheelbase I'd be set.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »
I really can't get into dlx boards. The long wheelbases don't go well with my stupid short legs. Every once in a while I'll cave and get a krooked board, thinking I'll get over the wheelbase but it never happens. I love the wood and the shape, but if they made an 8.25 x 31.5 with a 14 or 14.25 wheelbase I'd be set.

Dude...I am in the same boat!!

I love the boards but at times the wheel base gets to me and I can’t snap a quick tiny rocket pop proper just for those big cracks and I’m doubting if I can even skate anymore

That feeling of a quick snap is all I want and it’s 50/50 with a deluxe lately

Back then idk if they did do shorter wheel bases but damn my first real was the best board I ever had! It was a jt aultz the age of quarrel series, 8.25x31.8 I think or maybe 32 and it was so thin and light but strong as fuck and it popped so perfect every time and felt so good but then 2 deluxe boards later they didn’t feel the same
yes

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 07:15:39 PM »

https://www.tactics.com/real/wair-shine-oval-825-full-shape-skateboard-deck

14.25 wb

Pigeon

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.tactics.com/real/wair-shine-oval-825-full-shape-skateboard-deck

14.25 wb
The 8.4” shape has the 14.25” wheelbase also.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas Stan Smith vulc
[close]
[close]

Funny story... the killer on the first episode of John Walsh's The hunt episodes changes into a pair of these shoes in the woods after killing his family...rewound it a few times cuz it threw me off and sure nuff...Stan Smith vulcs :o

So what you’re saying is if you like the shoe there’s something wrong with you?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »

Rowley solos fucked up my toes,I had bad luck in the AV classics a few years back. The last Lakais I had fell off my feet,literally. I dodged a bullet trying on Supras before impulse buying them, the insole felt like a sandal.

Bought a pair of TK's shoe and the side blew out the same day I swapped insoles for a pair of FP Game changers. Got a pair of shifters on sale and the sole wore out quickly and the shoe hurt the joints connecting my toes to my feet. Kinda sketched out on trying anything else from them.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas Stan Smith vulc
[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm not agreeing with this but, I rarely dislike people before meeting them and the one of the few people I do dislike from right off the bat owns a pair he uses often.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 11:36:11 PM »
I’m gonna vent about that Stan smith vulc more.... it honestly blows me away that Diego Najera skates those things.
like how do these dudes even walk in those joints? those internal stripes were like razor blades

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 11:42:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas Stan Smith vulc
[close]
[close]

makes sense, you wouldn’t be able to kill your family while wearing them because the shoes are too busy trying to murder your feet ;)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2017, 05:07:44 AM »
Expand Quote
the polar k1/p9 shape is flat as shit, and the tail is weird and at the worse angle. on indys i could barely do anything but flip tricks. really put me off shaped boards for now
[close]
I had that shape too and I didn't like it. tapered super weirdly in my opinion
looks like I might have dodged a bullet with that one as I wanted one for quite a while now. Stood on one in a skate shop and the owner was like, “good of you like a really long skinny nose” which is actually the opposite of what I was looking for. The shape still kinda teases me though... I think polar needs to shorten the wheelbase on a lot of their shaped models.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2017, 05:33:13 AM »
any dwindle board i had. which luckily only were a few and years ago, that blind board i snapped after 2h of skating when i was 15 still haunts me.

tensors and ventures, of course.

any kinda pointy board in general.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2017, 07:52:53 AM »
Expand Quote

Rowley solos fucked up my toes,I had bad luck in the AV classics a few years back. The last Lakais I had fell off my feet,literally. I dodged a bullet trying on Supras before impulse buying them, the insole felt like a sandal.
[close]

Bought a pair of TK's shoe and the side blew out the same day I swapped insoles for a pair of FP Game changers. Got a pair of shifters on sale and the sole wore out quickly and the shoe hurt the joints connecting my toes to my feet. Kinda sketched out on trying anything else from them.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas Stan Smith vulc
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not agreeing with this but, I rarely dislike people before meeting them and the one of the few people I do dislike from right off the bat owns a pair he uses often.
The soles on my eS Creager's went out pretty fast and made them unskateable until I shoe goo'd another sole on.
It's funny you mentioned the TK,because my homie swore they were the shit haha!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
An orange toque.....

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
Ricta wheels: When you're 12, can't do most tricks, and get chunked out wheels and flat spots in a week, there's a problem.

Indy ABEC 5: Slowed down super fast and I had to clean them multiple times, the 7's were better, but still not great. Blacks are solid.

Bones Bushings: Tried mediums in Indy and Thunder, and they were way too tight. The blues are nice, but they tore in a few sessions. The mediums in Theeve are fine, but something doesn't feel right about Theeve and I don't know what it is.

Any griptape that isn't Mob

Thunder 147s: Way too low, the 149's are much better. Wish they would make a new version of the 147's that are the same as the 149's but not as wide.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
Had a Snack 8.38. Love the company but fuck that board and its mile-long tail.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
Every few years I get it in my head that I should skate some Vans.  I like chilling in them and the outlet nearby always has smokin deals. 

So grippy.  Such board feel.  Then I bail one flip trick, stomp on the concrete from 1 ft in the air and realize once again that I cannot skate this shit.

Haha same!

FrankSweat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »
A friend gave me a Toy Machine board, shit was flat as fuck and heavy.

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Anti-Hero usually comes out with a couple boards each drop that are 8.28 x 31.65 with a 14.12 WB.
http://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/cz.aspx?ID=1&SID=8166&M=

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Every few years I get it in my head that I should skate some Vans.  I like chilling in them and the outlet nearby always has smokin deals. 

So grippy.  Such board feel.  Then I bail one flip trick, stomp on the concrete from 1 ft in the air and realize once again that I cannot skate this shit.
[close]

Haha same!

Me too....I can skate pretty much any vulc except vans....

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »

In 2018 (if they haven’t already) they are starting to use PS stix so fear no more

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
Thunder 147s: Way too low, the 149's are much better. Wish they would make a new version of the 147's that are the same as the 149's but not as wide.

I believe the newer 147s are exactly that.

Sloboldmanstyle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
Bronson G2's- Was being cheap when buying new wheels, bought into the hype and figured what the hell. Out of the box speed was gone after the 4th session. Back to Swiss for me.

Mob grip- Kind of like being able to shift my feet without having to pick them up completely. I'd pay for Jessup over free Mob any day.

Es' Accel slims- Look good, but my feet hurt after walking in them, especially if I step on a pebble.

Insaneathane 101 EZ edge- Loved OJ II team riders back in the day and wanted to give one of my old favorites some business. Just felt slow, unpredictable and sloppy.

I feel like the get off my lawn old man. But fuck trying new shit when you already know what works for you.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
Had a Snack 8.38. Love the company but fuck that board and its mile-long tail.
Was this recent? I'm sitting on an 8.38 Snack now and the tail looks fairly normal to me(I believe mine was from a run they did with South Central).  Just curious.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In 2018 (if they haven’t already) they are starting to use PS stix so fear no more

People keep saying that is that for real? Not that I'm calling you a liar but can anyone prove that? I would love to support them if they stop fucking around with that bullshit.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2017, 10:25:34 PM »
PS serial number and everything.....

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2017, 10:47:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

People keep saying that is that for real? Not that I'm calling you a liar but can anyone prove that? I would love to support them if they stop fucking around with that bullshit.

I heard it straight from the distributer. Not sure about Foundation but they may swap also.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2017, 11:48:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe the newer 147s are exactly that.

Newer 147?

I don’t think jim would let it happen to change the classic geo and height of the 147 hi. Cause it’s been the same height and all for probably a decade or longer

Plus i feel trucks 8” or shorter should not go past 52mm tall cause it’s like stilts after that with such a tall narrow width truck
yes