Author Topic: Gear that you tried and didn’t like  (Read 23611 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Gear that you tried and didn’t like
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2017, 12:59:33 AM »
I really can't get into dlx boards. The long wheelbases don't go well with my stupid short legs. Every once in a while I'll cave and get a krooked board, thinking I'll get over the wheelbase but it never happens. I love the wood and the shape, but if they made an 8.25 x 31.5 with a 14 or 14.25 wheelbase I'd be set.

The 8.28 shape has a 14.1 wheel base.   
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 01:44:00 AM »
Bones Race reds, I was expecting something more for a 50 euros bearings, after 15 sessions two are broken and they had a really average speed.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
thread made me have flashbacks to dvs jeron j-dubs the most unskateable piece of shit shoes ive ever worn, but it really wasn't that big of a deal because i was more into eating than skating back then anyway

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
but what was up with the stan smith vulcs, did adidas even have anyone try those on before sending them out? i'm still haunted by how unpleasant they felt the 20 seconds i had them on for

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
The j-dubs looked tight though. You go strap or no strap?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
I've had numerous friends complain about 5boro boards. Stated the board literally felt like it was pressed with knots of wood in it, along with being beyond stiff. Personally, I've had two sets of spitfires chip after one day of skating. It was almost as if the wheel started to peel apart.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
I’m gonna vent about that Stan smith vulc more.... it honestly blows me away that Diego Najera skates those things.

Why do people hate these so much? I’ve never heard a single good thing about them. Are they that bad?

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2017, 01:54:38 PM »
I've had numerous friends complain about 5boro boards. Stated the board literally felt like it was pressed with knots of wood in it, along with being beyond stiff. Personally, I've had two sets of spitfires chip after one day of skating. It was almost as if the wheel started to peel apart.

I believe 5boro is made in the same factory as Girl so that makes complete sense

JAesop

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
Bronson's are crap. Dead in two weeks.
Any Watson pressed board, too heavy and dull. Nose/tail angle is weird too.
Any toe cap shoe, everything gets hung up on my feet resulting in even worse old man flail tricks.
Stubby, square nosed PS stix decks, just can't deal with looking down at it.
Also, NHS/SC/Creature decks. They are incredible when you get used to the shapes but they ruin you for other brands. Everything else feels weird after skating them if that makes sense.
Also square tail boards, they are the best for tailslides/ transition skating -but street... forget it.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
Newer 147?

I don’t think jim would let it happen to change the classic geo and height of the 147 hi. Cause it’s been the same height and all for probably a decade or longer

Plus i feel trucks 8” or shorter should not go past 52mm tall cause it’s like stilts after that with such a tall narrow width truck

I remember reading that they were redisgning the 147 because of the reception that the revised 149’s and new 148’s have been getting. Supposedly the 147’s were supposed to be updated by the end of this year.

FrankSweat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A friend gave me a Toy Machine board, shit was flat as fuck and heavy.
[close]

In 2018 (if they haven’t already) they are starting to use PS stix so fear no more
[close]

People keep saying that is that for real? Not that I'm calling you a liar but can anyone prove that? I would love to support them if they stop fucking around with that bullshit.
[close]

I heard it straight from the distributer. Not sure about Foundation but they may swap also.

I like Toy and stuff but hell, I really hated that board. Couldn't even ollie for a day or something, I had a Positive board( Welcome to south america, Venezuela) and I enjoyed more than the Toy, it had some concave and was light.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
captain obvious shit,but surely...Bronson!
and I never liked anything from Vans

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

In 2018 (if they haven’t already) they are starting to use PS stix so fear no more
[close]

People keep saying that is that for real? Not that I'm calling you a liar but can anyone prove that? I would love to support them if they stop fucking around with that bullshit.

Toy has actually been PS Stix for a while now, well over a year. Waaaaaay back they were Watson. Then they changed to BBS and kept making a few of the classic logos on Watson wood. Then they changed the logo boards to a mix of BBS and PS, and now I believe it's all PS. But, they mostly use very flat PS molds. I've personally dug through the stacks at Tum Yeto, looking for a deck, and saw lots of inconsistencies in the shapes on each graphic which lead me to believe no one at Tum Yeto is too detail oriented about the wood (as in, some stacks of the same graphic had varying shapes etc).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:34:40 PM by Budgie Lasek »

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
Damn, thanks guys for the links to the smaller wheelbase dlx boards. Definitely looking into those. Now I just have to get over real's horrendous graphics...

Pigeon

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2017, 05:19:30 PM »
Damn, thanks guys for the links to the smaller wheelbase dlx boards. Definitely looking into those. Now I just have to get over real's horrendous graphics...
You could get an Anti-Hero or Krooked...

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You could get an Anti-Hero or Krooked...
Yeah yeah, it's just I clicked the link to that 8.25 real with the full shape. Idk if other dlx boards have that particular shape, since they seem to have a myriad of shapes and sizes. All that being said I might just stick to my usual pick of south central wood or even crailtap (yes I somehow actually enjoy crail boards).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2017, 06:45:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Toy has actually been PS Stix for a while now, well over a year. Waaaaaay back they were Watson. Then they changed to BBS and kept making a few of the classic logos on Watson wood. Then they changed the logo boards to a mix of BBS and PS, and now I believe it's all PS. But, they mostly use very flat PS molds. I've personally dug through the stacks at Tum Yeto, looking for a deck, and saw lots of inconsistencies in the shapes on each graphic which lead me to believe no one at Tum Yeto is too detail oriented about the wood (as in, some stacks of the same graphic had varying shapes etc).

Just skated a Toy Machine board and I wouldn't say it was flat....pretty solid medium....normally don't find PS stuff is ever really flat....

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2017, 12:35:52 AM »
I know there’s a whole other thread about it, but I’m finding spitfire formula 4s to be slippery as fuck

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just skated a Toy Machine board and I wouldn't say it was flat....pretty solid medium....normally don't find PS stuff is ever really flat....

Hi Jsoy!  ;) I'd have to agree that most PS boards are fairly steep, but I was working somewhere with a lot of stock of Toy last winter and they seemed to be using mellower molds on those particular decks. One of my homies just had a Toy board that was super flat too (7.8"), but I haven't been paying much attention to them lately and you've actually ridden one. You still riding skinny boards?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2017, 12:59:27 AM »
I know there’s a whole other thread about it, but I’m finding spitfire formula 4s to be slippery as fuck
You’re not alone my friend, just can’t skate those things. Also Bronson G3’s sucked as stated so many times in this thread.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2017, 01:46:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You’re not alone my friend, just can’t skate those things. Also Bronson G3’s sucked as stated so many times in this thread.

Even the 99s? What do you skate instead?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2017, 04:27:35 AM »
Krux 8.25". Unstable but still wouldn't turn deep enough. Nothing I could do to them to make them work.

Bronson G3. Cages broke in a few months of skating flat. Piece of shit marketing hype.

14" wheelbase 8.25" Toy Machine China boards they sell in Europe. For anything besides flat, they're terrible for me. I'm a rather big guy, so short wheelbases feel way too short for me. I'm kinda blaming my 14" WB toy for breaking my leg on a miniramp even though in reality it was because I suck and was half committed and didn't really bail or try to properly do the trick.

OJ Little Doodies 58 mm 92A. The riding surface is so small that on rough ground they are slow as molasses. Durometer seems nice inbetween a hard and a soft wheel, but having wheels so slow that you have to push going down a 45° hill is a bit too slow. 😊

Independent Hard Bushings (black). Great if you want your board to not turn at all. Terrible if you want to actually turn. 😊

Independent combi bolts. They strip way too easily. I don't like Philips hardware either. Allen all the way.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Even the 99s? What do you skate instead?
Bones stf's.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2017, 06:55:23 AM »
Independent Hard Bushings (black). Great if you want your board to not turn at all. Terrible if you want to actually turn. 😊
once broken, they 're perfect and durable

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Streetburners sucked and felt like plastic. (Do they still make them?)

Formula 4s suck and feel like plastic.

To each their own, but I don’t get the hype. I will in all likelihood ride Classics till the day I die.

thebacker

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2017, 07:23:29 AM »
Oj wheels are trash

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »
  I don't think I can skate these 56 "g slide" wheels by bones.  Too heavey and don't slide.  I put my ricta 54s back on and it felt so light and better.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2017, 07:51:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hi Jsoy!  ;) I'd have to agree that most PS boards are fairly steep, but I was working somewhere with a lot of stock of Toy last winter and they seemed to be using mellower molds on those particular decks. One of my homies just had a Toy board that was super flat too (7.8"), but I haven't been paying much attention to them lately and you've actually ridden one. You still riding skinny boards?

I've sized up to an 8....the best is 8" with good concave ie. PS Stix which is what lead me back to toy machine....skating a 8" Magenta board and its flatter than the Toy Machine I skated....PS is consistency steeper than generator stuff which is why I gravitate towards them and the PS shapes are never pointy....

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »
  I don't think I can skate these 56 "g slide" wheels by bones.  Too heavey and don't slide.  I put my ricta 54s back on and it felt so light and better.

I think you mean Powell. They are a great cruiser wheel in my opinion, especially if you want something harder than 78a. I can slide/revert them pretty well. Only reason I use my OJ Super Juice more is because I skate home from the bar at 2AM and the G-Slides are a lot louder. Since I skate in my driveway everyday I don't wanna piss off my neighbors any more than I already do.

I didn't really like the Ricta Cloud 92a. They feel softer than my 85a G-Slides and their size/width makes them not that great of a cruiser wheel, so you can't really do much with them. Quality wheels, just don't see the point. Might as well go full street or full cruiser.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you mean Powell. They are a great cruiser wheel in my opinion, especially if you want something harder than 78a. I can slide/revert them pretty well. Only reason I use my OJ Super Juice more is because I skate home from the bar at 2AM and the G-Slides are a lot louder. Since I skate in my driveway everyday I don't wanna piss off my neighbors any more than I already do.

I didn't really like the Ricta Cloud 92a. They feel softer than my 85a G-Slides and their size/width makes them not that great of a cruiser wheel, so you can't really do much with them. Quality wheels, just don't see the point. Might as well go full street or full cruiser.

-You said you can do reverts with the g slides but can you throw 4 wheel slides on hills whenever with them?  That's what sliding means to me, -4 wheels.   Kudos if you can, you got some power.  Cruiser wheels aren't for me cause I can only fuck with one set up at a time.  One board guy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:30:07 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"