Author Topic: Gear that you tried and didn’t like  (Read 23602 times)

Nate.Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
Re: Gear that you tried and didn’t like
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
Any ps-stix board with the bigass square nose and the small round tail. I understand that it's the trendy shape right now and I'm supposed to like it but fuck me I can't skate those things. Same goes for the deluxe full shapes, the noses feel so weird for nollie tricks, and there's so much nose to flick off of I can't seem to get it right.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
I am also skating the Gilbert 2s and I like mine.
I like them too, with a superglue tube near my hand

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »

Love how they look but they were so uncomfortable, the g6 felt so stiff and I ended stitching them because the toebox detached from the outsole.

Anyone want a slightly used pair of Black (red stripe) US10 on the cheap?

If you ship them outside US i'll buy them

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »
Any ps-stix board with the bigass square nose and the small round tail. I understand that it's the trendy shape right now and I'm supposed to like it but fuck me I can't skate those things. Same goes for the deluxe full shapes, the noses feel so weird for nollie tricks, and there's so much nose to flick off of I can't seem to get it right.

Sounds like the PlanB shapes. The Quasi that is made like this is quite nice, as is the WKND one, if a tad too short.

DLX fulls (not the SEs) are a weird weird thing, they are too big in the nose and WB for me. But then again, I am not a long nose person, never have been, 6.5+ not nothing 7" feels too disproportion to me.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2018, 05:20:38 AM »
Huf classic HI's. The rubber toecap was horrible, felt like clown shoes. The shoe looked cheaply made and there was a lot of heel slipping for a mid top shoe..

Adidas shoes just don't fit my feet..

Had an alltimers board last summer and the shape was great but the board went soggy in four hours of skating..

Almost any other bearings other than the made by bones ones..

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »
Theeve trucks- couldn't get em at the right tightness and the fact that they came with the bones bushings at the time really didnt make me feel anything else would work cause i was all about those back then

eS/sheep shoes keswick - just like any other thin/vulcanized shoe they didn't work for me so i just used em to chill in

nike sb koston 3 - i really liked how they fit and the support they had but i couldn't get my kickflips for shit, the shape of the toe really threw me off for any flip tricks but otherwise was a good feeling shoe

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Ben De Gros

« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2018, 10:09:38 PM »
Adidas Stan Smith vulc and Huf Hufnagel 2

Stan smiths hurt walking let alone skating

Huf 2 was slippery and "unresponsive"

Krux aren't all they are cracked up to be either
Interesting. I loved my Stan smith vulcs. They weren't the longest lasting shoe though. I am 4 days in on some krux and don't like them at all.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2018, 05:03:05 AM »
You’re in the minority on those stan smiths Ben, those things were like some of torture device just to walk around in. You must have some magical shaped foot but hey, more power to you if you can wear them!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ben De Gros

« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
I have an odd shaped foot I think. I have high arches and a pretty skinny foot. The only thing that bothered me at first was the back of the shoe was high and stiff at first.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2018, 09:31:11 AM »
I think I talked about it in another thread, but I got the Emerica Wino G6 slip ons that they were pushing super hard and was pretty disappointed. My expectations weren't that high given they're just a slip on, but the elastic band that gives it what little support they need blew out in like a week. I can still wear them and maybe even cruise, but I tried to keep skating them and I just kept feeling like I was gonna break my ankle. I dunno if that band weakening is a problem with slip ons in general because I see people skate the Vans slip ons very frequently, but it seems like a super big design oversight.

Ben De Gros

« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »
I bought a pair of canvas Janoski's. They started to blow out in the toe in two sessions and had no flick at all. It's the first pair of shoes I have had to shoe goo in 20 years. The plus side is the flick got better with the shoe goo. But otherwise they were a horrible buy. They should come with a little tube of shoe goo because they are otherwise useless.

CRITICAL BEATDOWN

« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
I bought a pair of canvas Janoski's. They started to blow out in the toe in two sessions and had no flick at all. It's the first pair of shoes I have had to shoe goo in 20 years. The plus side is the flick got better with the shoe goo. But otherwise they were a horrible buy. They should come with a little tube of shoe goo because they are otherwise useless.
I wonder why...

ballintoohard

« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
Bones mediums. I bought Titan Ti lites, Furys, the original Tensors, even a Lib Tech board back in the day and none of those things were as much of a letdown. Maybe I'm weird, but the $5 Indy aftermarket cylinders are so much better.

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
not that strange really, there's some good shoes out there in canvas that are designed well enough to not rip in a two sessions.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
Spitfire wheels, I've flatspotted every set even F4s. FP insoles, I've tried regular kingfoam and the game changer orthotics my feet hurt after less than 2 hours and all I skate are ledges under 14in. Super disappointed after all the hype.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
Spitfire wheels, I've flatspotted every set even F4s. FP insoles, I've tried regular kingfoam and the game changer orthotics my feet hurt after less than 2 hours and all I skate are ledges under 14in. Super disappointed after all the hype.

That might come down to the shoes you're wearing then. I was having the same issue, went to the doc and my dumbass found out that I got wide feet. Doc noticed my shoes and pointed out all the issues with them. Switched my shoes to something with a wider toebox and was solid and could really feel the insoles providing more support on my feet. It actually feels like I'm not getting enough support in my non skate shoes now. 

Make sure you're buying the right size and pay attention to materials. Just because something is snug means that it's good. And depending on the material, the thought that "Oh, it'll stretch/break-in..." might not apply.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That might come down to the shoes you're wearing then. I was having the same issue, went to the doc and my dumbass found out that I got wide feet. Doc noticed my shoes and pointed out all the issues with them. Switched my shoes to something with a wider toebox and was solid and could really feel the insoles providing more support on my feet. It actually feels like I'm not getting enough support in my non skate shoes now. 

Make sure you're buying the right size and pay attention to materials. Just because something is snug means that it's good. And depending on the material, the thought that "Oh, it'll stretch/break-in..." might not apply.

Same thing happened to me, wearing narrow ass cons with fp felt good for a while but switching over to emerica laced, which seem like an inch wider just from looking down, really solved my foot issues

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2018, 12:32:01 AM »
Actually a lot of stuff:

Converse classic leather, every vans I skated sk8 hi, Kyle walker and classics...both brands are too thin.
Forged baseplates in general, they're too stiff and for rough grounds are a big no no, I had thunder 147 lights.
Tensor mag light, they're not durable at all too fragile.
Krux trucks are too damn hi and I couldn't make them turn like I want.
Oj 101a ez edge, they wear too fast.
Oj 99a insanethane hardline, they don't slide, no matter what.
Pointy and short noses and tails.
Real full's humongous wb.
Andale bearings and bones reds, I broke them too easily.
Jessup, too slippery.
Philips bolts.

I think that's enough hahahaha

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:51:32 AM by Italianshredder96 »

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2018, 01:08:47 AM »
huf classics, the bottom of the sole is so flat so it has no grip at all. I ended up breaking my arm while skating with them
Just shred some serious gnar.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2018, 05:38:39 AM »
Actually a lot of stuff:

Converse classic leather, every vans I skated sk8 hi, Kyle walker and classics...both brands are too thin.
Forged baseplates in general, they're too stiff and for rough grounds are a big no no, I had thunder 147 lights.
Tensor mag light, they're not durable at all too fragile.
Krux trucks are too damn hi and I couldn't make them turn like I want.
Oj 101a ez edge, they wear too fast.
Oj 99a insanethane hardline, they don't slide, no matter what.
Pointy and short noses and tails.
Real full's humongous wb.
Andale bearings and bones reds, I broke them too easily.
Jessup, too slippery.
Philips bolts.

I think that's enough hahahaha
For real, I was shocked for how many people prefer Jessup over Mob when here was some griptape-poll going on...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure I am not going to like the new Quasi I just setup (didn't get a chance to skate it yet). It's not rounded and not square or full, but sort of this odd narrow yet old school football nose (but modern) and with a great tail.

Couldn't tell until after I gripped it.

As for the Jessup comment, I find that colored jessup is a different grip than black as if feels more like black magic.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
I prefer Jessup....I don't like it less grippy...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2018, 09:08:02 AM »
I prefer Jessup....I don't like it less grippy...

I got used to Jessup after riding MOB M80 for a while, just about everything is 'average' after you skate regular mob for a while.

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure I am not going to like the new Quasi I just setup (didn't get a chance to skate it yet). It's not rounded and not square or full, but sort of this odd narrow yet old school football nose (but modern) and with a great tail.

As for the Jessup comment, I find that colored jessup is a different grip than black as if feels more like black magic.

I just set up a quasi too there were two shapes I was looking at that were 8.25 one was a more squared one on the tyler bledsoe graphic ( what I ended up going with) and two that sound like what you bought one was the skull crockett graphic and the other was like this motocross looking one

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just set up a quasi too there were two shapes I was looking at that were 8.25 one was a more squared one on the tyler bledsoe graphic ( what I ended up going with) and two that sound like what you bought one was the skull crockett graphic and the other was like this motocross looking one

Correct!

I've ridden the squared 8.25 and really enjoyed it, tho it felt a bit cramped (short/short WB) so I went with the other one, the longer/longer WB of the two knowing it wasn't square but hoping it was just sort of 'normal' in the nose as the rest of the dimensions are great (I'm always after 14.3x wheelbases) but it's not; like I mentioned it's your generically normal rounded or squareish nose but some in-between abomination:

GIANT pic doesn't really showcase what I mean.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
here you go playa, what is the length on this? looks fun!
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
32.35" or something like that, totally not my style of shape tho...i'm tempted to give it a few skates but I'm already not feeling.

Thanks for the resize!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »
What's up with that grip? Looks like the cheap painted walls every rent apartment has over here. Doesn't look grippy at all. 😮

sk84s8n

• Rep: -53
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2018, 01:26:07 PM »
the fuck would you ever buy bearings that aren't Bones?  are you stupid?

Truth