Author Topic: 2018 the year of retirement  (Read 6633 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
Re: 2018 the year of retirement
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 11:11:13 AM »
IDK about footage being held,it looks like Beibel has been putting stuff from it out on his insta here and there. Leo is definitely focusing on Travesura more as he seems bummed a lil on the skate scene of late. Can't wait for that Toy video though dammit.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »
This is a message board, not an essay board.

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
Alphonso Rawls
Earl Koston
Dave Carnie and Mayhew
Shawn White
Chet Thomas

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3316
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »
What is pro? When people enjoy watching you skate I'd say.... All kinds of other things you could use to qualify though I suppose.... wins contests..... stacks footage.... gnarliest of gnarly..... skates every (single) day..... Pushing the "limits" of the "sport". Ability to pull out anything in your bag from any time of your career, currently...? I seem to be picking up on the recurrent vibe here with a lot of people's resentment toward pros who hang around. As if they're concerned for their dignity... To use a jock analogy (not that we want to be like them), you have retired players with their names on jerseys, shoes and even shoe brands themselves... Does this mean said players think they can go bang with the current pros? No. They would readily admit that too..Their contribution is what they have done, not (clearly) what they are doing, and whatever it is people have decided it is to be pro. Some of what they have done themselves in past they can no longer do now. Point taken. Who here isn't sparked when Gino or Carroll drop something new on IG? Koston or Guy? Could be a 20 second clip. We all want to see it. Does that mean they're pro? To me it does. It just happens to be that that stuff is rare now. That same interest makes people want to support them, again, for what they have done... not what they are doing. The fact I want to see a BS tail slide on an 8" ledge from someone who isn't at the "forefront" of today's skating just as much as I can appreciate the dude who I've never heard of, but is doing things I would've thought impossible 25 years ago is exactly why they're (still) pro. And frankly, you have a dude who ripped it from 25+ years ago (I'm old ok?) show up at the park, you'll probably stop watching all the younger dudes throwing hammers and watch him... He could look like he hasn't skated in that long too..... You'll still watch. Because you know what that guy has done, and in turn could do. Thats what I'm talking about. Not to sum it up in a shitty cop-out way either, but when their name doesn't move boards, they won't put it on there. No one is getting left out because of these guys, no one is losing shine, no one is "losing out" because they're "hanging on". Whether its a notion of "fairness", "deservingness", "earning it", "having pro integrity" or whatever. Give it up. I'll buy their boards if I can. I'll support a product or brand if I know someone I respect (or used to) is behind it. I'll watch video of them when I can. There is no formula or matrix for measuring "pro-ness". Thats what makes skating what it is, its not neat or tidy. I like to gossip about skating too, thats why I'm here, but I'm totally mystified by all the chatter about people needing to hang it up. Just doesn't compute to me. All that said, I don't think everyone who's ever had their name on a board "earned" it. But most the names I see mentioned here predominately have in my opinion. Maybe someone can put it a way I could relate?

So unchill, 93til...

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »
Sheckler just retired himself live on ETN for his Face Melters. 15 flat 15 hubba bail to dual ankle rolls on the bottom stair. It was hard to watch.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 01:44:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
man i haven't seen how McCrank's been doing in the current stage of his knees, but if he skated with grant taylor for a week i'm pretty sure he would be ripping way harder than grant. dude's such an atv at such a high level... anyway

i wish Rattray would put out any sort of footage, but if he retired this year i wouldn't be surprised. like dude! film some half assed mini ramp line and just put something out there
[close]

Ahhh dude i would love some new Rattray footage, i always liked that guys parts.

Apart from that, the list is pretty decent as far as predictions go, cant see Leo romero stopping this year though.... What happened to Haslam anyway?

[close]
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/01/10/hell-chris-haslam/

Thanks dude, that was a interesting read, haslams the man, living free, i dig it.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »
Didn't Leo Romero just go through a bunch of injuries/surgeries too? He might not be pumping out as much coverage as 2010 but I don't think he's going anywhere soon.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 03:41:04 PM »
Sheckler just retired himself live on ETN for his Face Melters. 15 flat 15 hubba bail to dual ankle rolls on the bottom stair. It was hard to watch.
That set looked gnarly as fuck so I'm not surprised.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »
  So Cards and Tom Penny get 'the pass' as people who get to be 'pro for life' by the skate community.   But your also gonna be stuck with Cab, Hawk, Lance (maybe he'll retire) and McGill.  (yah I know lance rips)
you tripping if you don't think Hawk and Cab still rip!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Grind King Rims

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 05:00:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Is Fred Gall pro? I'm surprised to see he has a deck available on the Habitat website right now. And there is that FA guest board he apparently isn't getting royalties for.
[close]
Fuck Dill & AVE, if this is true.
Where did you hear he wasn't getting royalties? That seems like a rumor.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 05:39:53 AM »
Expand Quote
  So Cards and Tom Penny get 'the pass' as people who get to be 'pro for life' by the skate community.   But your also gonna be stuck with Cab, Hawk, Lance (maybe he'll retire) and McGill.  (yah I know lance rips)
[close]
you tripping if you don't think Hawk and Cab still rip!
  No not tripping.  I've had my eyes on everything Cabs been putting out, not so much Tony but he does 900s.  I'm sure McGill can put it down too.  But the point is there's lots of 80s vert pros that still rip but you'll NEVER take the bones brigaders pro models away don't matter how old they are.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 05:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is Fred Gall pro? I'm surprised to see he has a deck available on the Habitat website right now. And there is that FA guest board he apparently isn't getting royalties for.
[close]
[close]
Freddy mentioned not getting a check from Dill in his Tim Oconnor show interview.

soccer mom

• Rep: -17
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »
been lurking this cesspool for years, finally decided to make an account and respond to something.
Rick McCrank being the reason...
The guy still absolutely rips, seeing him skate Hastings bowl in Vancouver is insane, if he pushed harder with filming you would understand why he is still considered pro status. His lack of footage in the last Lakai video was disheartening, not to mention the latest Antisocial flick.
But yeah, he absolutely still skates at a professional level. His tranny skating is next level

Yea and McCrank started that "skate every damn day thing" Nike that stole, he skates every day and rips, everyone wants to see McCrank footy except for McCrank, I know he is hard on himself about what he wants put out, but for hells sakes some i phone edits every month or something would make people happy as hell.

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
Vert has a masters division...But most of them work a regular 9-5 to make a living. I dont think alot of them are getting much off royalties.

Grosso works at a factory or some shit
Do You even Street Style ???

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 05:27:07 PM »
This thread is a bummer. Imagine being a proskater slap lurker with fingers crossed that you're not in this thread. Not a chance Isuck! Waiting for that new Zero part.

Hope I eat my words and all these dudes put out parts:
Billy Marks
Adrian Lopez
Dollin
Kalis
Greco
Rick Howard
Twuan
AndyRoy
Janoski

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
This thread is a bummer. Imagine being a proskater slap lurker with fingers crossed that you're not in this thread. Not a chance Isuck! Waiting for that new Zero part.

Billy Marks
Adrian Lopez
Dollin
Kalis
Greco
Rick Howard
Twuan
AndyRoy
Janoski
  Andy Roy can barely skate better than Cards now so that's a pipe dream.   Are you saying that Adrian Lopez is pro?  Did you see the skate clip (kf shifty) that twuan put out some months ago?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
Aren't Karl Watson and Chet Childress already retired?

Colin McKay would be a laughing stock if he "announced his retirement" the dude hasn't done anything of substance in over 10 years.

Bastien is only on Primitive as a legacy type thing, I don't think he's done anything since getting on and probably still sells a decent amount of boards, so I can't see why he'd retire.
-
I can't see Bastien not doing anything. I went under the radar the years he didn't produce and had big contest appearances and footy coming out when he came back. The Primitive hook up has definitely a legacy wibe to it, but I'm confident that weøll have at least one deacent part, in his way, coming and one retirement part. It's Bastien, he was born on a skateboard..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Billy Marks
Adrian Lopez
Dollin
Kalis
Greco
Rick Howard
Twuan
AndyRoy
Janoski
[close]
  Andy Roy can barely skate better than Cards now so that's a pipe dream.   Are you saying that Adrian Lopez is pro?  Did you see the skate clip (kf shifty) that twuan put out some months ago?
Andy can barely Ollie and no one wants to see a part that mainly consists of shitty bonelesses on transition.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »

Billy Marks
Adrian Lopez
Dollin
Kalis
Greco
Rick Howard
Twuan
AndyRoy
Janoski

Isnt Dollin filming for baker 4

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Billy Marks
Adrian Lopez
Dollin
Kalis
Greco
Rick Howard
Twuan
AndyRoy
Janoski
[close]
[close]
Andy can barely Ollie and no one wants to see a part that mainly consists of shitty bonelesses on transition.
I don't need to see  another Roy part either. Should have clarified lol

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 03:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Freddy mentioned not getting a check from Dill in his Tim Oconnor show interview.

I doubt Jason Jesse gets a check for that ave board. 

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:29 AM »
Add Slayer to the “retired” list

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 04:26:24 AM »
We're in 30s, our idols is 40-45, no more full parts and great tour.Sad end to skatelife...like a Schopenhauer aphorism.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 04:33:51 AM »
And then there are the legions of pros that I sincerely hope drop a surprise comeback part, but should probably retire with dignity and will mostly likely just have their names deleted from the team page with no ceremony.
I'm talking your Pat Burkes. Chad Tim Tims. Terry Kennedys. The whole LE team (RIP). Duffman. Please prove me wrong, fellas.

duffman be dropping a part tomorrow!
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk