Author Topic: Costa Rica  (Read 2697 times)

033sb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Costa Rica
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:06 AM »
I'm going to costa rica for one month and bring my board with me,
does anyone know some central spots or places in costa rica that are good for skating?
maybe i'm going to panama and nicaragua too
thank you

416jonz

• Rep: 1
    • Cold Juice avatar image
Re: Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
I'm going to costa rica for one month and bring my board with me,
does anyone know some central spots or places in costa rica that are good for skating?
maybe i'm going to panama and nicaragua too
thank you

go to the pacific coast, Tamarindo. They have a snake run that's fun and you can surf in the morning too. There is also another park near Arenal volcano, at a place called Hotel Tilawa. This park is also alot of fun, but they might have changed the name since they changed owners. If you go to Tamarindo, go to Eat at Joe's and ask about this park. the owner of EAJ's has bought the hotel, so they can give you more info.
If you want to skate street, then i suggest heading to san jose, and its surroundings.
hope this helps.

033sb

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:31:54 AM »
aight, thank you a lot man!!!!!

aleksander

• Rep: 121
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:27:58 AM »
Awesome, you are going to have a blast. 416jonz is spot on, the Tamarindo snake run is really fun. And I liked the town itself way better than other places like Jaco.

The other hotel looks fucking insane.

In San Jose there are some street spots right downtown but I can't remember exactly how to get there. If you see any skaters I'm sure they'd be happy to show you around or point you in the right direction. There is a park in San Jose with a checkered floor that's in some tiltmode videos that is fun and I saw some pics online of the Arenas park.

I haven't been there in ten years, but back then bootleg skate clothing was everywhere. Not like the company, like illegal copies of skate brands were in almost every store. You would see a 60 year old man walking down the sidewalk with an Osiris tee shirt tucked into his trousers. So it was hard to know who to actually ask about spots and whatnot.

Have fun!
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
I did a 3 month skate trip there a few years ago and tried to skate every park we heard about. at least five times ramps we had heard about were gone or destroyed when we arrived. seemed like interest wasnt really there.

it is amazing though, hotel tilawa especially. we got to stay for free at the hotel for a week, super lucky. the park is challenging for sure though. also lived in tamarindo for half the time, theres a bar on the beach called babylon with a pretty nice miniramp and you can skate it all day and skateuuuers and locals hang out there at night. and tons of insane hills along with the snake run main park. its kind of a shitty town other than that though.

theres a town like 20 min south by taxi called playa avellana. its actually like 5 houses and a nice beach with good beginner surfing, and a couple places to stay. we had heard there was a ramp but it ended up being torn down, but happened to find this old concrete mini ramp literally on the sand on the beach. can see it here laura palmer at 4:10. and a lot of costa rica in that video in general. super unique and you cant miss it.

the wooden park that has the kinked escalator tranny is really fun too, its on the southern carribean side in a town called playa viejo directly nextdoor to the best hostel in the country. its run by a christian group but they are welcoming and its crazy seeing local kids rip, and mostly barefoot.

also a pretty nicely made park in heredia, a big city just north of san jose. theres also an indoor nearby heredia that jake duncombe kills in that old volcom tour video. and an indoor in san jose called arenas.

I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

033sb

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
woa thanks for the information, you know the name of this hostel?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
coulda found it easily yourself but its http://rockingjs.com/ . its beautifully done and if you are a party dude its got that covered, im not and also had a great time, good vibe. it was the owners birthday and he threw a party and everyone was given a bunch of weed, hard liquor and mushrooms for free upon entry. i didnt go but yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

also for non skate stuff the southern west coast is the nicest part of the country for sure. super quiet and towns are spaced out, but more diverse wildlife and more tropical. there was rumours of a skatepark being built in uvita, which would have been done by now if the rumours were true.

033sb

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:02:26 AM »
thank you so much for the information! can't wait to go

shark tits

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »
gonna be in san jose/escazu for a wk in march. important guy told me about some nice beaches and such but i've gotta see a dentist twice and i don't drive so i might just hover around there. can you hitchhike successfully there? is there a bus if i wanted to go swimming? i'm nervous about my stuff getting ganked while i'm underwater. would i be better of just skating the city?
also, real shot in the dark but if there's any known beeyards out there, i'm into seeing other people's setups.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
LSD !

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »
gonna be in san jose/escazu for a wk in march. important guy told me about some nice beaches and such but i've gotta see a dentist twice and i don't drive so i might just hover around there. can you hitchhike successfully there? is there a bus if i wanted to go swimming? i'm nervous about my stuff getting ganked while i'm underwater. would i be better of just skating the city?
also, real shot in the dark but if there's any known beeyards out there, i'm into seeing other people's setups.
i tried to avoid san jose the times ive been there. my friend rented bikes, biked 10 km out of town, where we did bud brownies in some town on the carribean side and went swimming. had all of our stuff stolen including the key to the bike lock(we are geniuses). had to walk back to town and never got our shit back obviously. friend lost a camera with 3 months of photos on it. was our fault though. enjoy

shark tits

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
LSD !
let's!
i'll holler at you a little more as the day gets closer. are you in the city? i'm excited!
thanks for the heads up, icenine. that's my number one phobia about going and also, [swimming] one of my most looked forward to activities.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »
Pals I live in Cartago, the big city to the east of San Jose, the four cities of Alajuela, Heredia, San Jose and Cartago forms the Central Valley. San Jose downtown and Cartago  are like an hour bus ride on rush hour. Cartago is the place with the indoor park where Duncombe did the crazy kickflip. We also have a bunch of ourtdoor skateparks relative close one to each other, heres a clip with some of them with STV the legend as a host. Sorry about the lack of english subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdm_nXFfoU8&t=711s

Heres another reference about the skateparks here

https://www.facebook.com/SkateparksDeCostaRica/

Escazu have a little outdoor park and the Arenas indoor park on San Jose downtown is cool to ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMNjWQcjHSk

Heredia is a city with tons of skate-life, heres a clip with subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6mu2M8AvzM

And heres the cherry cake, the street spots. If you want to know wheres any of those let me know.

http://vimeo.com/239059580

Theres a lot of stuff going on on both of our coasts specially on Guanacaste. If I can help in anyway DM me. Anyway Im always down to just skate around for a day on the Central Valley.