Author Topic: 411VM Best Of #5 appreciation thread  (Read 1952 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
411VM Best Of #5 appreciation thread
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:18:59 PM »
2018 will mark the 20th anniversary of the first ever skate video I ever happened to purchase, and quite a low-key classic : 411VM Best Of #5.

https://youtu.be/oOoW6I_YnwQ

this one keeps being uploaded then taken off YouTube and Dailymotion, most likely due to one of the songs conflicting with the algorithms (definitely not the Dr. Know song), only adding to the mystique.

starts off with Keenan's sw nosegrind shove - enough said. maybe one of the best Chaos sections ? Dill, Carroll, Daewon, Kareem and Throwing Muses. also Gonz jumping over a bench on foot.

Jerry Fowler, young AVE, Evan Schiefelbine. ATF clothing ad, True Skateboards ad, Powell Magic ads, OG Creature ad, early 411VM.com ad involving the blockiest computer monitors. two different versions of the full film up on YouTube, with and without the mIRC animations at the beginning of the rip, so with different timecodes yet both still share the exact same wack thumbnail from the Vans "Team Pee Wee" commercial.

Minor Threat over a Tum Yeto road trip, Burnside spot check edited to Fu Manchu featuring the infamous Cardiel drop-in (that was later featured in that Grind Session Playstation game). some of the last Embarcadero footage sprinkled here and there. éS Africa road trip with Muska, JT, Rune, barefoot Bob and Creager nollie hardflip late flipping to fakie against the sun. Plan B industry section. Lance Mountain.

was sold in kiosks (with an accompanying booklet) here in France due to national television trying to cash in on Tony Hawk's activity of 900's and video games (and the skate magazines of the time trying to pull certain strings). many skateboarders here got their first taste of the practice and industry in the US through that video. I remember being 11 and cutting out the Tony Hawk photos from the booklet to try and tape them like they were stickers onto my first board with a double tail - some Pepsi-branded toy skateboard with clear grip and blue wheels made out of hard plastic (I learned how to ollie on that board - small ass town in the countryside, we were secluded as all hell and really didn't have shit).

please no 411VM Best Of #4 talk.

happy new year !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:20:44 PM by silhouette »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
Re: 411VM Best Of #5 appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:38:57 AM »
just bumping this to say I had yet another dumb dream last night where I was on SLAP at some point and, right next to this thread, someone had made a 411VM Best Of #4 appreciation thread that was blowing up with replies, whereas this one remained empty. I may or may not need a break from the internet

Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »
Best of 411vm Vol4 was better.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
reported...

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:24:57 AM »
Best of 411vm Vol4 was better.

Yeah it was! Heavy lineup. Reynolds with no music was a favorite, and SAD!
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

shark tits

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 02:29:54 AM »
that throwing muses song was on another chaos, either 21 or 27 i believe. shit goes, i like them alot but that's still my favorite song of theirs.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 03:40:15 AM »
that throwing muses song was on another chaos, either 21 or 27 i believe. shit goes, i like them alot but that's still my favorite song of theirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWIzqjyUVqU

fuck ! good memory man. how come I had never seen this before ? fucking Preston Acuff. Creager's skatepark clip looked better in Best Of 5, they didn't leave out the magical revert upon the landing. MJ's name twice, and still Scott Johnston. this is like seeing the room you grew up in again, just with completely different furniture.

I got into so many bands upon getting my hands on that copy of Best Of 5 and Throwing Muses was one of them yes, me too. I remember trying to edit my own skate footage to 'White Bikini Sand', the hidden track on Limbo, maybe 10 years ago ? Kristin Hersh is rad - her first memoir has been on my endless list of next books to get for a while. I guess I'll just order it now.

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:37:35 AM »
my mom had TM cassettes laying around the house and they were kinda on alternative radio in the 90s. they were a local band, i saw old fliers of them and pixies playing together [i think pixies were the openers] before i knew what was good. if i had a time machine!
kristin hersch is ill, i'd like to read her story. i know she 'saw music' and it came to her like a sickness and making the music was healing to her. crabtown, shimmer, freeloader, they've got a lot of good songs. it wasn't until that 411 that i really sought them out.