Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 173 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
What happened?
« on: April 07, 2024, 01:10:31 PM »
It’s been a minute since I was dialed in to vidya games.  Come to find out the two GameStop’s I might have went in were closed months (years? 🫠) ago, everything is a remake and there are barely any games releasing?  What?

What’s going on?  I get that everything is now online but the small amount of games released are all poopoo.  How is this a dead industry?  I’d have thought it would be on fire.  Maybe I’m too old to understand?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • 10th Prestige
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 10:24:58 PM »
Simple answer big investors who aren’t gamers are prioritizing profit over actual game development causing a lot of games to be rushed and unfinished. Which leads to another big problem in modern gaming the “we’ll just fix all the broken shit with some updates in a few weeks”. It’s honestly way too much to go into but yeah. Money.

Even Skate 4 is gonna be online only with lootboxes which is wild.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

kook1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 07:27:43 AM »
In the same boat… what’s a loot box?

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 07:38:24 AM »
In the same boat… what’s a loot box?

Gambling. Like in Skate 4 say you want a Quasi deck, instead of just buying it with credits or unlocking it by playing the game you buy a lootbox which has a random item in it. Kinda like slots I guess.

Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 07:35:44 AM »
I don't know how anyone could think there's barely any games releasing... there's more shit coming out than ever. Yeah, there's a lot of remakes, but that's not entirely a bad thing considering most companies are not making sure that games are playable beyond a console generation or two. Also, the companies that are making those are generally lazy and not going to make anything original at this point anyways.

As for Gamestop, they're a shitty company that got way ahead of themselves and went too hard with softgoods and plushies and statues and other bullshit they tried to peddle. At the same time a majority of people are just buying games digitally now, so not only are they not buying new games physically they're not trading them back in so GS can sell them used at an insultingly close to new priced point like they like to do.

II get that everything is now online but the small amount of games released are all poopoo.

What kind of games are you into? I mean in the past year alone we got Baldur's Gate 3 which is a milestone of a game, Armored Core 6, Dragon's Dogma 2, Persona 3 remake, FF7 Rebirth, Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, Spider-Man 2, Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty and on and on. 2023 was one of the biggest years we've had in gaming for a while. Elden Ring DLC coming soon as well which will be huge.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 12:55:48 PM by Theme For A Jackal »