Author Topic: Best Games for Switch?  (Read 5406 times)

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
Best Games for Switch?
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »
So my folks got me a Switch this holiday season. I'm pretty psyched but I don't really know what to do with myself. I've been running a PS2 for the last 10+ years so I'm pretty blown away by the graphics and capabilities and all that stuff even though I know it's not as powerful as the other current generation systems. I bought Mario Odyssey and Zelda because they seem universally loved, but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of cool indie games or other must-haves.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Best Games for Switch?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »
I don’t have one, but isn’t there a Mario kart? Unless you hate racing games.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »
just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of cool indie games or other must-haves.

I've been wondering the same thing.

Can anybody help with this?

Edit: New rule. Don't mention Mario or Zelda. Chances are we've already played them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:26:32 PM by Carrolls Chesthairs »

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
MARIO kart for sure

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »
I've heard the Legend of Zelda game for switch is pretty good.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
pushes, grinds, flips, ollies etc all day. no reg allowed.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3271
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:33 PM »
The Legend of Zelda is incredible.
The Binding of Isaac is my go-to.
Enter the Gungeon is killer and pretty cheap.
The new Super Mario Odyssey is just OK, as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously, though...get the new Zelda.

EDIT: also...Doom and Skyrim are supposed to be great.
AND...they're releasing Bayonetta 1 & 2 in a month or so. I've never played them but they're loved with a cult-like fervor.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:56:18 PM by GAY »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »
Bro I didn't know you were a GAYmer!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard BOI is super hard but it does seem like a good one. I picked up Doom this weekend and am really enjoying it. Would highly recommend. I'm saving Zelda for later since I already know it's going to be amazing.

I also am having fun with the Sonic remake, although it makes me feel old since I frequently get overwhelmed by all the seizure-inducing visuals and the cracked out soundtrack.

SkateRide

• Rep: 10
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
I don't have a Switch, but Golf Story look super fun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-6HotrJfBI

some description from their website (http://golfstorygame.com/)

- Tee up anywhere! You’ll be surprised by how many problems can be solved by hitting a golf ball at them.
- Explore 8 unique environments, each with their own courses, towns, people and secrets.
- Play through a dramatic story with a diverse cast of characters.
- Upgrade your golfer by completing challenges, solving puzzles and buying new equipment.
- Round out your skill set with long driver tournaments, disc golf, mini golf and wee links. Then go beyond golf with extra challenges like races, mowing, drone flights and geocaching.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »
Mario + Rabbids battle kingdom.
Not only is it good. But the fact that it's sounded like a dumb idea made it better. Also the game is tough. Really challenging. It's tactical shooter RPG, which is crazy and one of the best looking games on the switch. Some would argue it looks better than Mario odyssey.

Indies:
Rocket league - soccer in rocket cars
Sonic Mania - its a new classic sonic, everyone loves it. If you liked sonic on the genesis, this is for you.
Kamiko - highly aesthetic retro Zelda-esq puzzle game
Shovel Knight - Fucking great 2d adventure platformer, plus you get the DLC which is basically 3 games because each character controls different, has different levels and story arcs (although there is some crossover which only helps the story) A great difficulty curve. Sort of like Megaman/Castlevania/Metroid

I like phatom breaker, which is like streets of rage with anime girls, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »
golf story is awesome, so is the new sonic, shovel knight, puyopuyo tetris. lotta good gems on the switch, and nintendo just announced yesterday they sold 15 million switches world wide, thats a huge online community.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
Rahman Legends is the GOAT of 2d platformers in my opinion so there's that.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:24:36 AM »
my switch friend code: SW-4083-3192-7439 if anyone is feeling lonely

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
It's pretty much only fun with a buddy, but Snipperclips is a super cute puzzle game that's lots of fun. Splatoon 2 is fun, even though Nintendo's online kinda stinks. If you haven't played Skyrim before that's probably a must have. I got my Switch day one and I'm still not tired of Zelda and Mario. Mario Kart 8 is also fun.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
It's pretty much only fun with a buddy, but Snipperclips is a super cute puzzle game that's lots of fun. Splatoon 2 is fun, even though Nintendo's online kinda stinks. If you haven't played Skyrim before that's probably a must have. I got my Switch day one and I'm still not tired of Zelda and Mario. Mario Kart 8 is also fun.
Yeah as an RPG (specifically JRPG) lover, I'll probably jump on Skyrim and then once they come out with some more JRPGs I'll probably pick those up too.

I've put a bunch of hours into Zelda and have basically not advanced the storyline at all. I'm just having tons of fun cruising around and doing side quests and finding shit to cook.

I do have to side with GAY here and say it's actually been hard for me to get into Mario Odyssey. For whatever reason it hasn't grabbed me like the other games have.

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 06:20:55 AM »
Agreed with with Mario Odyssey comments.

If you like 2D Zelda get Blossom Kingdom. Super cool pixel art and tons of fun

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 11:05:15 PM »
Is anyone playing Switch without a TV? ie only using it as a portable system?

I really want to play it (especially for the new Bayonetta, but Zelda looks pretty good too) but I don't have a TV and don't plan on buying one.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 05:48:01 PM »

I really want to play it (especially for the new Bayonetta, but Zelda looks pretty good too) but I don't have a TV and don't plan on buying one.

I've played the switch on the go. It's cool. A different way to game.

Pill_Cosby

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 11:21:25 PM »

I bought it thinking I would never use it as a handheld but eventually it just becomes so much more convenient. TV or not you'll love it

feedmeseymour

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 05:51:21 AM »
picked up payday 2 yesterday, its pretty fun, annoying nintendo doesnt support voice chat in this but there is a work around.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »

I mostly play on my couch with something else playing on the TV. I only really dock it when I have company. There is a drop in resolution and frame rate in some games, that's mostly not noticeable.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
2018 already seems to be a big year for the switch.
New super smash bros expected this year.
https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/03-08-2018/?eid=NintDirect20180308_EA9A4F4B-C4BD-4731-B8B0-BA56C94309D1

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2023, 10:43:32 PM »
Any updates on the best games?

I just bought a Nintendo Switch. I know this is dumb since a new console is supposed to come out soon, but the last console I bought was a PS2, so I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of things.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2023, 04:59:09 AM »
Any updates on the best games?

I just bought a Nintendo Switch. I know this is dumb since a new console is supposed to come out soon, but the last console I bought was a PS2, so I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of things.

Mandatory play:
Mario odyssey
both zeldas
mario wonder
metroid dread
luigi's mansion 3

for parties:
mario kart
super smash

If you haven't on other systems:
Metroid prime
Donkey kong tropical freeze
New super Mario
3-d Mario with boswer's fury
pikmin 3
skyward sword
link's awakening
captain toad

Haven't played but it's on my agenda:
pikmin 4
Mario RPG

The streaming service has some fire n64 and SNES games too.
Hope that helps!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2023, 08:38:30 AM »
If you want to test the strength of your marriage or friendship, play Overcooked.

I've been loving Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity for some button mashing fun, it can be grind-y for weapons and rupees but its easy to start difficult to master gameplay has got me hooked.

Dave the Diver is a chill time too, restaurant management coupled with rouge-like looting of the ocean.

Triangle Story and Xenochronicles if you fancy some JRPGs, and if you spend time to get emulators installed you can access the back catalog of games from PS1 and up. Not sure about performance but there are lots of tutorials and videos on YT.

Zelda BOTW and TotK - I put a lot of hours into BOTW and only a few into TotK. While the mechanics aren't as freeform as TotK I prefer the limited abilities of BOTW that don't overwhelm me with too many choices.

Super Mario Wonder is another easy to pick up and play game, lots of fun with the family since you can cooperate or be total dicks to each other. And the level design and music is cute as hell.

Edit - definitely get a proper controller like the official Nintendo one or 3rd party ones from Gulikit or 8bitdo. Your adult hands wil thank you.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2023, 01:58:59 PM »
Thanks. I'll look into these.

I got the Switch bundle that comes with Smash Bros and I ordered Mario Wonder as well.

I was thinking about a Crash Bandicoot game and maybe the Donkey Kong game. I also saw Portal 1 and 2 was on sale for 7 dollars if I get the online version.

Is there a skateboard game worth playing? I never played any of the Skate games but always thought they would be fun to try.

I'm hoping I can make a collection via used games at this point.

I'm thinking it is best to avoid games that will obviously be better on a stronger system like Doom or Samurai Shodown, is the right assumption or am I limiting myself unnecessarily?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2023, 09:49:35 PM »

I got the Switch bundle that comes with Smash Bros and I ordered Mario Wonder as well.

I was thinking about a Crash Bandicoot game and maybe the Donkey Kong game. I also saw Portal 1 and 2 was on sale for 7 dollars if I get the online version.

Is there a skateboard game worth playing? I never played any of the Skate games but always thought they would be fun to try.

I'm thinking it is best to avoid games that will obviously be better on a stronger system like Doom or Samurai Shodown, is the right assumption or am I limiting myself unnecessarily?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AccdX6p16KM&ab_channel=NintendoLife

Graphics on the Switch have been reduced, FPS dropped from 60 to 30 but still perfectly playable.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2023, 09:58:07 PM »

I've put so many hours into the skate game Session, highly recommend but it's a tough one to learn but super fun.

Anyone else here playing the old Mario Parties on the N64? MP 3 just came out and played it with my brother's and its fun as hell with the right group

ek27

• Rep: 6
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2023, 08:24:52 AM »

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2023, 06:34:14 AM »
Mario kart is always a fun game.

the donkey kong game is alright, was a big fan of those for snes and it just doesnt hit the same.

subscribe to the online, you get some snes games that i honestly play more than any of the switch games i have.