Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread  (Read 123832 times)

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
Re: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »
I also got to see the recent Girl/Chocolate boards in person. Same exact concave but the boards are alot lighter and thinner than the old wood

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
Is the sideways logo on the edge of the top a way to identify the new Chocolate decks?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »
Hold on, crail is doing better wood?

I never hated the shape, it’s nice but it lacked in comfort and control but fun
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:20 AM »
yeah recent zero board I saw had mexico sticker on it

I've seen both...the dwindle ones may be old stock or they are just using both....it's pretty easy to tell the dwindle stuff...the packaging is always similar.

Big_Poppa_J

• Rep: 5
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »

Was it ever confirmed that this indent meant that a board was PS?
Picked up a Passport and noticed that it had this but didn’t have the typical PS Stix serial number and crap.

The Dot Stamp comes from Bareback/Generator.  PS will always have a serial number

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
Expand Quote
id definitely be interested in hearing you review a newer one too. maybe wait until you get one and put them both in one video?
[close]
That's a great idea except that I won't be buying another girl deck ever until there is verifiable evidence that they are better. I have put enough money into that company with my purchases. There are waaaaaayyyy too many great brands out there worth trying.

those girl/chocolate boards at fun in the sun are definitely very old stock. that guy buys out ancient stock from the distros around town.

a friend of mine has skated the new girl boards, and really likes them in comparison to the older ones.

i'm about to try a 917 board, its a generator board and has a nice mellow concave. i've skated quite a few alltimers boards which i've liked a lot, so i'm assuming it'll be just fine.

nosneb

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »
I have a 718 Olson deck that’s like the chocolate skdul shape. Very very mellow and flat. I just can’t remmeber if this was a ps stix batch or generator. Can anyone tell by the stains colors?

hey pickle

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2018, 02:14:16 AM »
I have a 718 Olson deck that’s like the chocolate skdul shape. Very very mellow and flat. I just can’t remmeber if this was a ps stix batch or generator. Can anyone tell by the stains colors?

Have you gripped it? If you haven’t then if there’s a serial number where the front bolt holes are then it’s a p.s. stix. No serial # = generator

nosneb

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2018, 05:34:46 AM »
Yeah it’s fully gripped over

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2018, 05:40:55 AM »
If it is the graphic I think it is with the 90's car and something about seduction it is prob ps because that board is from over a year ago

nosneb

« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »
Yes exactly! And you deff reminded me for sure was ps stix because at the time that’s all I wanted to skate. The shape is very similar to the chocolate Marc Johnson select series shape that was pressed by ps stix. Thats my all time favorite board

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2018, 08:32:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Crailtap has the money to produce Generator or PS stix, but why don't they? Or are they really in that bad of a financial state?
[close]

Story goes, they were going from North American manufacturer to manufacturer saying that they want X amount of boards but at insanely low cost for them. Manufacturers were basically going to loose money making crail boards. So in order to get the boards for the price the wanted, they went over seas.

So, Crailtap has been selling China wood for years knowing that it was inferior product but for the same price as everyone else. Now that their brand is no longer hot they have decided to ship North American maple to China to be molded and shipped back. Doesn’t all that time on the sea add extra moisture content to the wood/adhesive? I would think that would prematurely age the wood/adhesive making the boards less snappy? I just can’t see buying Crail wood after they have been selling second rate product for years while other companies have been coming correct with the good wood since day one.

micky682

« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Crailtap has the money to produce Generator or PS stix, but why don't they? Or are they really in that bad of a financial state?
[close]

Story goes, they were going from North American manufacturer to manufacturer saying that they want X amount of boards but at insanely low cost for them. Manufacturers were basically going to loose money making crail boards. So in order to get the boards for the price the wanted, they went over seas.
[close]

So, Crailtap has been selling China wood for years knowing that it was inferior product but for the same price as everyone else. Now that their brand is no longer hot they have decided to ship North American maple to China to be molded and shipped back. Doesn’t all that time on the sea add extra moisture content to the wood/adhesive? I would think that would prematurely age the wood/adhesive making the boards less snappy? I just can’t see buying Crail wood after they have been selling second rate product for years while other companies have been coming correct with the good wood since day one.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2018, 12:11:57 AM »
blindly ordered two isles and a polar. how can i see
whether these are from BBS (Bareback/Generator)?

hey pickle

« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2018, 01:49:26 AM »

They both only use generator

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »
Just purchased a Birch board from Khalsa, has a made in Canada sticker. What does that mean?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 369
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2018, 09:26:23 AM »
Do they use the same shapes too?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2018, 09:31:12 AM »
Just purchased a Birch board from Khalsa, has a made in Canada sticker. What does that mean?
90% chance by control mfg id guess

If it has a squared bevel on the rails increase that too 99.9

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2018, 09:37:39 AM »
Saw some FA and Hockey boards last week. Some had PS serials, some didn't. So splitting their orders between Schmitt and likely BB.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Birch are Control pressed. I've had 4 of them and they've all been great for me. Mellow concave, pretty standard shapes.

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:50 AM »
Numbers is bareback

micky682

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
Numbers is bareback
You sure? It was PS stix for a long time.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Numbers is bareback
[close]
my shop has only gotten generator/bbs for numbers.

micky682

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Numbers is bareback
[close]
[close]
my shop has only gotten generator/bbs for numbers.
Shit, the dimensions for Numbers boards are really nice and bbs wood is the best.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2018, 06:48:04 PM »
Does anyone know what shop Skate Mental is using these days? I thought they were using the same China woodshop Crail was using then maybe switched to PS?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
Does anyone know what shop Skate Mental is using these days? I thought they were using the same China woodshop Crail was using then maybe switched to PS?

Does anyone even skate, Skate Mental these days? That ship [finally] sunk when Shane split.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Most or all boards made in China are made with the exact same wood from the northeast of Canada and the US. It's shipped over for cheap manufacturing. I've tried two 5Boro's that were made in the same factory I believe Girl uses now, and they sogged out quick. So, it would seem something about the whole process involving both of the China manufacturers they've used results in not-the-best boards, based on what folks are saying, and my own experience with those two 5Boro's. Maybe it is all the shipping - moisture content is the #1 factor that affects the wood, and that changes a lot during shipping over seas.

Crail should just switch to BBS and deal with the cost. They'd probably gain a lot of customers.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2018, 06:46:18 AM »
In that Paul Schmitt interviews he said the boards are in the same condition whether being trucked up from mexico or shipped and he put hydrometers and thermometers in the containers, but said the main issue was it costs way more to get a high level of quality control from a independent Chinese manufacturer(corruption/bribes involved perhaps), but easier to keep quality standards in Mexico

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2018, 06:57:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Birch are Control pressed. I've had 4 of them and they've all been great for me. Mellow concave, pretty standard shapes.

Thanks - feels nice and crispy, not too steep on the tail or nose either - I wasn’t gonna skate it but the shape is so eye pleasing I might after all, stoked on their graphics

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2018, 07:13:55 AM »
@Schralp - that's rad you're supporting those guys. Mark Roberts is a powerhouse and Guru kills. Agreed on the aesthetic too. They've got a really cool thing going.

@Xen - ha I know. I was thinking about grabbing a Jack Curtin board but then I remembered it was Skate Mental.  ;D