Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread  (Read 123886 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
In that Paul Schmitt interviews he said the boards are in the same condition whether being trucked up from mexico or shipped and he put hydrometers and thermometers in the containers, but said the main issue was it costs way more to get a high level of quality control from a independent Chinese manufacturer(corruption/bribes involved perhaps), but easier to keep quality standards in Mexico

Yeah i don't think the quality of the wood or manufacturing of a dwindle board is bad...I'm just not a fan of the lay up..the brands and if I can avoid buying shit in China I do.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
The reason I brought up moisture content is because I left my skateboard in my garage this winter and tried to skate it the other day and the pop was crap. I live in NJ and it has been a real wet winter and the humidity the day I was skating was in the 70-80% range. China is wet and humid all year round. If a factory is not controlling moisture the wood will be wet at the time of pressing. I am sure P. Schmidt would argue that there is an optimal humidity range for manufacturing. He does not have to worry about this because he manufactures in MX. Dwindle, I read on Slap, owns their facility so they can institute any controls they like where as Crail does not have as much of a say in the manufacturing process. My company has products manufactured in China and humidity is always the number one concern. Adhesive resin will react differently in a moist environment as opposed to a dry one. Also, maybe Paul doesn't want to be a jerk and say that China products are inferior since his industry friends who buy their products overseas also buy from him.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
he was kinda saying that though, in the sense if you don't pay out the ass to institute proper quality control you could end up with a container full of trash, not that they arent capable of it but getting them to actaully do it, that was my understanding of the interview anyway

also perhaps in shezhen/guanzhou manufacturing hubs are humid, but the futher north and west you go the climate changes drastically to evetually become desert or siberian tundra

if you get shit pressed in beijing in the winter i would thnk it would be dry as fuck
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:25:01 AM by perverted super otaku! »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
^^^ Regarding the moisture discussion...not to get extra nerdy but I've always wondered why certain boards warp quicker than others. Is it lack of moisture or too much?
Does it happen with boards that aren't cured long enough and rushed out? This winter I had a terrible problem with boards warping on me. Seemed to be every PS board that I got warped. But I also had 3 Killing Floor boards this winter (BBS) and all 3 twisted like a pretzel.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »
I thinks the transitions between very dry and super damp, is what cause it as well as the intensity of the shift and how often it occurs, but i've seena lot of fucked warpjobs out lately as well, some welcomes that were just off the charts fucked, but even bbs/dwindle

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
I found the article that was being referenced. What stood out to me was that Paul says not to rush the manufacturing process. If the boards are heat cured they do not cure properly. One thing contract manufacturers in Asia are not known for is manufacturing slowly. Yes, I was probably making an assumption that manufacturing is taking place in Southern China. The weather in Beijing is not too different than the east coast of the US. I still would rather have my boards made in MX where it is dry. I have always like Schmidt Stix decks--especially from Alien's heyday. Here is the quote from the article:

“I made boards in China for eight or nine years, and I had no trouble making boards that were up to my standards with my wood and with my glue from the U.S. But with my levels of training and my quality standards, ultimately I couldn’t compete with what other Chinese factories were doing, and other Chinese factories couldn’t afford to copy what I do. Ultimately, in China you are going to get the level of quality you pay for. Looks can also be deceiving. I just couldn’t afford to be in business in China with my standards. ”

Management practices in factories makes things that much more unpredictable. “A lot of bad board manufacturing practices that went away in the 1990s crept back in the 2000s,” Schmitt contends. “Heat curing boards”—that is, drying the glue that holds the plies in a board together by exposing it to high heat—“is one. No legitimate board manufacturer in North America hot cures decks.”

There’s also the question of the source of the raw materials used in the Chinese factory. “I’ve seen cases of factories claiming they’re using Canadian hard maple, but then you look at their manifests and you see their wood actually comes from Vermont, which is fine by my standards. Other times they’re using Chinese maple. Just because they’re putting a maple leaf sticker on the board doesn’t mean you’re getting Canadian hard maple. They will put anything on board that they think will help sell it.”

One aspect of overseas production Schmitt doesn’t worry about, though, is the shipping conditions on the long container ship rides from Asia.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
Noticed northern co got a * and is listed under bbs/generator as well as south central, but didn’t see a post about it.  What’s the story?

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2018, 06:30:44 PM »
Noticed northern co got a * and is listed under bbs/generator as well as south central, but didn’t see a post about it.  What’s the story?

Talked to someone who works for their distributor and they told me recently they’ve decided to start using generator for most of their boards. I believe newer batches will mostly generator. If I see them again, I’ll get better clarification.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »
Here is another consideration I ran into, does your board company use use heat transfer or screen printing for graphics: http://screamingsqueegees.com

Screaming argues that heat transfer stresses the wood. Obviously, there is some prejudice here, but they may have a point. I noticed that Prime Wood uses screaming for graphics. Has anyone ever tried one of their boards or do we know of other companies who do not use heat transfer for graphics?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2018, 08:55:18 PM »
I think carpet company use all screened boards

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2018, 09:24:52 PM »
Carpet is deep in the game. I also saw that Pistol Pockets used screaming squeegees. If anyone is interested So Ca Skates website will list if a deck was hand screened. Carpet doesn’t sell there and to be honest I barely know about them but they look like they are on the Scum Co level of killin it on the low yo

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Talked to someone who works for their distributor and they told me recently they’ve decided to start using generator for most of their boards. I believe newer batches will mostly generator. If I see them again, I’ll get better clarification.
hmmmm their last run last year was still on SC if I'm not mistaken? The board I ended up picking up had made in USA printed on the top of it. Is this like their 3rd wood shop?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2018, 10:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
hmmmm their last run last year was still on SC if I'm not mistaken? The board I ended up picking up had made in USA printed on the top of it. Is this like their 3rd wood shop?
Yes. I believe they had a run or two on Pennswood a couple years ago.  You can still easily find South Central Northerns online(I believe these are all either SC or Penns: http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/Northern-Co.htm)
All you got is today, get out and skate.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2018, 06:05:04 AM »
Carpet is deep in the game. I also saw that Pistol Pockets used screaming squeegees. If anyone is interested So Ca Skates website will list if a deck was hand screened. Carpet doesn’t sell there and to be honest I barely know about them but they look like they are on the Scum Co level of killin it on the low yo

Carpet is sick yo! Curry shredders. Screening boards with turmeric and pomegranates. They use generator wood too
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:08:30 AM by nosneb »

nosneb

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2018, 06:07:53 AM »

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
This is a Brother’s deck. Is this PS Stix? It has a pointy nose similar to Habitat.

Little Debbie

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »
PS boards have a full on serial number laser engraved into the top of the deck, not just a cheap stamp

nosneb

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »
Edited*
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:12:24 AM by nosneb »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
I think we've heard some mixed reviews on Prime no?

nosneb

« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
What’s up with prime? I have a football shaped blank I’ve skated lightly and it was pretty good.

SirCletusIV

« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2018, 03:44:44 AM »
Any thoughts on P2 boards? I'm a heavier skater and i skate 8.5 but thinking about switching to an 8.75 or 9 and don't know if I should stick with an anti-hero or try a P2 creature. Trying to be economic here and want the one that's gonna keep its stiffness longer

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
This is a Brother’s deck. Is this PS Stix? It has a pointy nose similar to Habitat.

I don't think Brother's is PS, but I know the guy who runs it. I'll find out what's up.

EDIT: They're pressed by Clutch
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:06:35 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »
^ thanks for asking, man!

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Just asked Northern Co on IG where they were switching to. It's Clutch, not Generator so you can fix the directory accordingly.

Thanks Furi

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »
Revive is made by clutch, they are good and strong

thespacewolf

• Rep: 10
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
Revive is made by clutch, they are good and strong
how you know what Revive boards are made of  ::)

nosneb

« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
Riding DAO right now which is off Northern Co. The Clutch wood reminds me of Generator just a little thicker. They do kinda chip easy from what Ive seen but mine has been holding up well.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2018, 12:56:36 PM »
Any thoughts on P2 boards? I'm a heavier skater and i skate 8.5 but thinking about switching to an 8.75 or 9 and don't know if I should stick with an anti-hero or try a P2 creature. Trying to be economic here and want the one that's gonna keep its stiffness longer
Well,p2 is your choice then if you just want your board to be stiff ’till the end, those things are strong as fuck. I’d still prefer AH over Creature because of shapes tho.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

SirCletusIV

« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Well,p2 is your choice then if you just want your board to be stiff ’till the end, those things are strong as fuck. I’d still prefer AH over Creature because of shapes tho.

See i'm not even sure what shape I want really. I just know i want it to be between 8.75 and 9.0 and i want it to last as long as it can underneath my fat body...

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2018, 03:28:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

See i'm not even sure what shape I want really. I just know i want it to be between 8.75 and 9.0 and i want it to last as long as it can underneath my fat body...
Just get a Powell flight deck, they have a few 8.7 popsicles and 8.7-9.1 in shapes. You will never break it and it actually performs really well.