Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread  (Read 123894 times)

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Re: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2018, 03:46:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any thoughts on P2 boards? I'm a heavier skater and i skate 8.5 but thinking about switching to an 8.75 or 9 and don't know if I should stick with an anti-hero or try a P2 creature. Trying to be economic here and want the one that's gonna keep its stiffness longer
[close]
Well,p2 is your choice then if you just want your board to be stiff ’till the end, those things are strong as fuck. I’d still prefer AH over Creature because of shapes tho.
[close]

See i'm not even sure what shape I want really. I just know i want it to be between 8.75 and 9.0 and i want it to last as long as it can underneath my fat body...
[close]
Just get a Powell flight deck, they have a few 8.7 popsicles and 8.7-9.1 in shapes. You will never break it and it actually performs really well.

I'm around 230 pounds skating 8,75.

Been skating only BBS/Generator boards for the last 2 years.

For me, they're quite durable but in my case, it depends on how much I skate. The more I skate the fewer decks I broke.

The powell flight looks a solid choice but I can't afford 150 euros in a deck (yup that's the fucking price in europe).

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2018, 04:18:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any thoughts on P2 boards? I'm a heavier skater and i skate 8.5 but thinking about switching to an 8.75 or 9 and don't know if I should stick with an anti-hero or try a P2 creature. Trying to be economic here and want the one that's gonna keep its stiffness longer
[close]
Well,p2 is your choice then if you just want your board to be stiff ’till the end, those things are strong as fuck. I’d still prefer AH over Creature because of shapes tho.
[close]

See i'm not even sure what shape I want really. I just know i want it to be between 8.75 and 9.0 and i want it to last as long as it can underneath my fat body...
[close]
Just get a Powell flight deck, they have a few 8.7 popsicles and 8.7-9.1 in shapes. You will never break it and it actually performs really well.
[close]

For me, they're quite durable but in my case, it depends on how much I skate. The more I skate the fewer decks I broke.

The powell flight looks a solid choice but I can't afford 150 euros in a deck (yup that's the fucking price in europe).
They are expensive and 150 euros is crazy to imagine for a deck I know, (they are $120 here in Canadian dollars) honestly will last 10 times longer than any other deck though. For the most part I find P2 decks kind of a gimmick, they get soggy and I’ve had two that warped after a few weeks, one from Creature and one from Flip both last year. Also a planB P2 last year that was warped straight from the factory. The double impact from dwindle is a much better choice but they are impossible to find in anything bigger than 8.5. I’m 215 pounds, honestly didn’t notice any difference between a P2 deck and a regular BBS or ps stix, in fact the higher price for a P2 and the amount of problems I’ve had it kind of makes it a worse choice. I feel like the Powell decks are the first technology deck I’ve tried that blew me away and actually was a completely different experience, I’ve been skating one for almost a year now and it feels exactly how it did from day one. If you ever get a chance to try one or find one cheaper it’s worthwhile. If you like the P2 deck or wanna try it give it a go, but I wouldn’t specifically go out of my way to get one if you don’t like the shape, it doesn’t skate any better than a regular deck in my opinion. Still razor tails the same, still gets soggy. Plus the whole “spring loaded pop” thing they market is bullshit.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:20:42 AM by RumpelFoarskin »

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
To the earlier posts about warping...I bought both of these boards on the same day. I couldn't decide which I wanted so I bought both.

Quasi Crockett (PS Stix)
Isle Knox (Generator)

So I brought them home and they were kept together in the same room, the exact same conditions. No difference at all. But what is bummed me out is the Quasi (PS Stix) twisted like a pretzel. I've skated warped boards before but this one is pretty extreme so I'm not even going to bother. It's a wall hanger now. The Isle (Generator) has no warp at all. I posted earlier, I've had boards from all shops warp on me but it seems to happen most frequently with PS pressed stuff for whatever reason.

Quasi/PS

Isle/Generator

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
They are expensive and 150 euros is crazy to imagine for a deck I know, (they are $120 here in Canadian dollars) honestly will last 10 times longer than any other deck though. For the most part I find P2 decks kind of a gimmick, they get soggy and I’ve had two that warped after a few weeks, one from Creature and one from Flip both last year. Also a planB P2 last year that was warped straight from the factory. The double impact from dwindle is a much better choice but they are impossible to find in anything bigger than 8.5. I’m 215 pounds, honestly didn’t notice any difference between a P2 deck and a regular BBS or ps stix, in fact the higher price for a P2 and the amount of problems I’ve had it kind of makes it a worse choice. I feel like the Powell decks are the first technology deck I’ve tried that blew me away and actually was a completely different experience, I’ve been skating one for almost a year now and it feels exactly how it did from day one. If you ever get a chance to try one or find one cheaper it’s worthwhile. If you like the P2 deck or wanna try it give it a go, but I wouldn’t specifically go out of my way to get one if you don’t like the shape, it doesn’t skate any better than a regular deck in my opinion. Still razor tails the same, still gets soggy. Plus the whole “spring loaded pop” thing they market is bullshit.

i've actually felt like the p2 technology actually worked when i had a habitat p2, it stayed stiffer for longer than ie a regular habitat deck
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »
So what's the word on crailtap boards now? Did they change the wood? Did anyone try em?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
damn that fucking sucks guys, I've been holding off on buying a new board until the weather stabilizes into spring, seems like something PS should try to fix because there are a fuck load of boards out there this year from what i've seen irl and here that are straight unskatable

edit: makes me want to give control another shot once new studio boards hit some shops, my thinking: Canadian maple, pressed in Canada, and sold and skated in Canada should be the safest bet in regards to climate/humidity based warpage, just always found their shapes kinda flat for my tastes
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:52:31 PM by perverted super otaku! »

Sad Hippo

« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
To the earlier posts about warping...I bought both of these boards on the same day. I couldn't decide which I wanted so I bought both.

So I brought them home and they were kept together in the same room, the exact same conditions. No difference at all. But what is bummed me out is the Quasi (PS Stix) twisted like a pretzel. I've skated warped boards before but this one is pretty extreme so I'm not even going to bother. It's a wall hanger now. The Isle (Generator) has no warp at all. I posted earlier, I've had boards from all shops warp on me but it seems to happen most frequently with PS pressed stuff for whatever reason.
[close]

I've been getting the same thing a lot lately, mostly Generator decks though. They're new releases, I get them in the mail (from Skatewarehouse or Tactics), take them out and can see them warping already. I usually just send them right back but a couple I've kept and hung on the wall. I also kept two Polars that weren't too bad and plan on skating those as cruisers. I'm used to getting one or two per year that are slightly warped but lately it's way more frequent and a lot worse! I know in winter it's a lot easier for this to happen but it usually takes quite a bit of time being exposed to dry electric heat, left in direct sunlight or extreme humidity fluctuations for it to occur. The odd thing is I've never gotten a warped board from Pennswood, South Central, Clutch or Quincy, it's only PS and Generator. I went to Escapist the other day and me and the guy working there found almost a dozen warped decks on their racks, mostly PS but a few Generator as well. I've got a bamboo/maple hybrid deck on it's way, if that's any good I might be sticking with those and American made/Clutch decks for awhile.

Oh and look what UPS just dropped off from SkateWarehouse! My brand new Sovrn deck that just came out and of course, it's warped! It's really bad too, tail angles one way, nose the other and the concave is uneven. Such a bummer.

That's unskatable? Dude, I think you're just nitpicking, that looks fine.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
but from another perspective, depending where you live and how much you make, you spend like 1.5-4 hours of your life working to earn the money to buy a board and it should be 100% proper

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2018, 05:30:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Noticed northern co got a * and is listed under bbs/generator as well as south central, but didn’t see a post about it.  What’s the story?
[close]

Talked to someone who works for their distributor and they told me recently they’ve decided to start using generator for most of their boards. I believe newer batches will mostly generator. If I see them again, I’ll get better clarification.
[close]
hmmmm their last run last year was still on SC if I'm not mistaken? The board I ended up picking up had made in USA printed on the top of it. Is this like their 3rd wood shop?
[close]

Just asked Northern Co on IG where they were switching to. It's Clutch, not Generator so you can fix the directory accordingly.

That sux, the reason I specifically went with a NC board last time was because they were still made in the US

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been getting the same thing a lot lately, mostly Generator decks though. They're new releases, I get them in the mail (from Skatewarehouse or Tactics), take them out and can see them warping already. I usually just send them right back but a couple I've kept and hung on the wall. I also kept two Polars that weren't too bad and plan on skating those as cruisers. I'm used to getting one or two per year that are slightly warped but lately it's way more frequent and a lot worse! I know in winter it's a lot easier for this to happen but it usually takes quite a bit of time being exposed to dry electric heat, left in direct sunlight or extreme humidity fluctuations for it to occur. The odd thing is I've never gotten a warped board from Pennswood, South Central, Clutch or Quincy, it's only PS and Generator. I went to Escapist the other day and me and the guy working there found almost a dozen warped decks on their racks, mostly PS but a few Generator as well. I've got a bamboo/maple hybrid deck on it's way, if that's any good I might be sticking with those and American made/Clutch decks for awhile.

Oh and look what UPS just dropped off from SkateWarehouse! My brand new Sovrn deck that just came out and of course, it's warped! It's really bad too, tail angles one way, nose the other and the concave is uneven. Such a bummer.

[close]
That's unskatable? Dude, I think you're just nitpicking, that looks fine.

You can see the concave is off center. I bought a Hockey board specifically as wall hanger. When I received it, the deck concave was off center. One side of the deck was steep and opposite side was flat.

ungzilla

« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »
now known as Southern Co. [˘]

SirCletusIV

• Rep: 0
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2018, 12:13:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

i've actually felt like the p2 technology actually worked when i had a habitat p2, it stayed stiffer for longer than ie a regular habitat deck

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a Rune Glifberg Flip P2 a couple years back and it lasted awhile but it did get soggy. My main concern is the sogginess actually. i'm not skating anything to gnarly to the point where i'm worried about snapping that much (except for boardslides , cuz like I said i'm fat). I wasn't even aware of powell had. I'll check out these powell flights if they retain their stiffness.

And I'm at an 8.5 now with my Real board and I think i want to upgrade to something a bit bigger as I've put on a few pounds recently haha. It's gotten quite soggy as I've had it for awhile. I've had my eye on an 8.8 Creature P2 kimbell board but I'll look at the powell flight boards. I hope they're better.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2018, 02:32:43 AM »
So what's the word on crailtap boards now? Did they change the wood? Did anyone try em?
I took a bunch of photos comparing the new vs old. They are definitely slightly lighter and thinner than the old crail boards, with better quality graphics. They feel more crisp, to me old crailtap boards were really rounded which made them feel thick, these are more square on the rails, and the shapes are more pronounced, however my personal opinion would be that they are marginally better than old crailtap wood but still not as good as some other stuff out there. Give them a try because maybe you will find you like them, there is definitely a difference. I would be wary ordering online because there’s still old wood mixed in with the new, I’m pretty sure all the new ones have a matte style graphic finish and a dark middle ply but I’m not certain.
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/slapdude

Does anyone know if the baker b16 shape is the one that’s 8.475, 14.25 wheelbase and 31.8 length?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:40:36 AM by RumpelFoarskin »

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2018, 04:52:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I took a bunch of photos comparing the new vs old. They are definitely slightly lighter and thinner than the old crail boards, with better quality graphics. They feel more crisp, to me old crailtap boards were really rounded which made them feel thick, these are more square on the rails, and the shapes are more pronounced, however my personal opinion would be that they are marginally better than old crailtap wood but still not as good as some other stuff out there. Give them a try because maybe you will find you like them, there is definitely a difference. I would be wary ordering online because there’s still old wood mixed in with the new, I’m pretty sure all the new ones have a matte style graphic finish and a dark middle ply but I’m not certain.

Thanks for that did you weight them by any chance?

I definitely prefer thinner (looking) boards like the DLX stuff but had a thick and heavy looking Habitat (EU made by Jart) and it felt great and held up strong but it still looked pretty thick.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2018, 05:32:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does anyone know if the baker b16 shape is the one that’s 8.475, 14.25 wheelbase and 31.8 length?

Damn dude, thanks alot! The dark middle ply was a great tell too, now I can just look em up before ordering if my local doesn't have the shape I want.
The reason I liked crailtap boards so much was that they felt light already, and now they're even lighter? Hopefully they hold up better though as that's the only reason I didn't skate them exclusively.

And about the b16, yeah that's it. They have a 8.5 x 32 with a 14.5" wheelbase as well, but if it says 8.475 it's usually the b16.

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2018, 07:01:39 AM »

Serves you right for buying a brrcs deck off of skate warehouse. And it’s fine, don’t be a baby. You should still focus it though

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2018, 08:08:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a Rune Glifberg Flip P2 a couple years back and it lasted awhile but it did get soggy. My main concern is the sogginess actually. i'm not skating anything to gnarly to the point where i'm worried about snapping that much (except for boardslides , cuz like I said i'm fat). I wasn't even aware of powell had. I'll check out these powell flights if they retain their stiffness.

And I'm at an 8.5 now with my Real board and I think i want to upgrade to something a bit bigger as I've put on a few pounds recently haha. It's gotten quite soggy as I've had it for awhile. I've had my eye on an 8.8 Creature P2 kimbell board but I'll look at the powell flight boards. I hope they're better.

The Powell flight boards are considerably pricier but the trade off is they don't break or sog out.... They razor just as fast as anything else.....

They are way clunkier but those chapman pressed boards always seemed indestructible to me....

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2018, 12:10:21 PM »
damn that fucking sucks guys, I've been holding off on buying a new board until the weather stabilizes into spring, seems like something PS should try to fix because there are a fuck load of boards out there this year from what i've seen irl and here that are straight unskatable

edit: makes me want to give control another shot once new studio boards hit some shops, my thinking: Canadian maple, pressed in Canada, and sold and skated in Canada should be the safest bet in regards to climate/humidity based warpage, just always found their shapes kinda flat for my tastes

i want studio to do well but god control boards suck, they refuse to router the edges on the top ply for shop decks. their boards go soggy and break quickly.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »
i have noticed that awkward slightly hollow feeling the pop has too..., combined with the flat shapes i just gave up, I've also heard "they're cheap" from someone who dealt with them which i take meant they wont make improvements, like you were saying

I would feel really good only skating studios, alas

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
I know board feel is so personal and different for everyone but I've liked the Control boards I skated. But just to qualify that, I go through boards pretty quickly, usually setting something new up every 4-6 weeks, but I've had decent luck with them. They're also super mellow, almost flat, so they were right up my alley.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
It's a Tracer choice for sure.....I know people that love them....flat and an abrupt tail and nose.... not really what I like but something to be said about Canadian made.

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »
anybody know what frog uses? I've heard generator or chapman

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »
list says Generator which is the case afaik, unless they switched at one point for a run, did a split run or whatever

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »

What does the 3 dots mean? Does it mean it’s the 3rd in the stack?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
Not sure if these were posted before but here is a video Generator released a few years ago showing their factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3VLKzOGD3I

And, here is a tour of Santa Cruz explaining their graphics process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1ZH6keYQM

Don't know how to embed the video, so if you have to go to you tube if you want to watch.

GS77

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2018, 01:22:21 AM »
Vids load fine in the post on mobile man

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2018, 01:36:36 AM »
Checked the new quasi shipment at the local and didn't see any type of warping. Saw several different "quality control" dimples on separate decks. I'm starting to think that the dimples mean what order the boards are pressed in kinda like the dlx Roman numeral stamps. I could just be over thinking it...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2018, 03:09:56 AM »
I bought a Quasi a few months ago but have been injured and not used it. It wasn't warped when I got it but now it is (and kinda badly too), it's just been sitting in room temperature for a couple of months. Kinda bummed.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2018, 03:56:58 AM »
I'm starting to think that the dimples mean what order the boards are pressed in kinda like the dlx Roman numeral stamps. I could just be over thinking it...

With PS Stix I’ve been told that’s not the case

Diocletian

« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2018, 03:44:32 PM »
Hey fellas, so I ordered this board online and noticed when I took the cellophane off there’s this part along the sides of the plies in one spot that appears to be a crack? Never seen this kind of thing before. I dragged my finger nail across and made a few marks but you can still see the distinct jagged line. What you think, skate it or contact for warranty?