Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread  (Read 123939 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »
Looks like a scratch to me.

JAesop

« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2018, 07:29:29 PM »
Scratch or the wrap was too hot when the board was bagged.

Diocletian

« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2018, 03:57:47 AM »
Yeah I guess that’s why I posted cause I can’t tell if it’s a scratch or thin crack. Thanks for the feedback so far.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2018, 03:59:45 AM »
Is that a dsm board? Is it palace?

Diocletian

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »
It looks to be either south central or generator

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »
South Central or BB does not stain the boards that way. It looks either like a brushed stain from a Santa Cruz board or Palace. Basically looks like DSM.

Diocletian

« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2018, 08:41:10 AM »
Is that dwindle? Not sure if theirs is any good I’ve always stuck with deluxe.

MaitlandPrivado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
DSM is indeed Dwindle if that is what you are asking. Are you saying the board in question is a DLX brand?

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »

Dwindle is the best board manufacture out right now but no one backs them because their brands are "lame".  Their boards don't warp randomly, are individually pressed (same shape every time), they offer a 30 day guarantee against breakage(no other brand does this), they make their veneers in house as opposed to other companies who get their veneers from a third party, they use resin glue etc.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
I was just wondering what board brand it is. For my own gratification if I could guess right or not. It looks like a dsm (dwindle) or creature/Santa Cruz as nosneb said. Dwindle boards especially the hard rock ones such as palace are amazing in my opinion, great shapes and decks though it’s hard to find fuller noses which is why I can’t always get them. I’ve had two warped ps stix in the last 12 months but no warped dsm decks. They are strong and way more crisp than other shit. It wasn’t at all meant in a negative way. What board brand is it?

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2018, 03:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dwindle is the best board manufacture out right now but no one backs them because their brands are "lame".  Their boards don't warp randomly, are individually pressed (same shape every time), they offer a 30 day guarantee against breakage(no other brand does this), they make their veneers in house as opposed to other companies who get their veneers from a third party, they use resin glue etc.
Some of the hard rock ones I’ve gotten had a 90 day warranty against breakage! Some even have a 60 day. I’m always baffled at the amount of hate they get. I guess brands like crailtap kind of give “China made” boards a bad name.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But they still feel like a Dwindle board, regardless of how well they're made. I haven't stood on a Dwindle pressed board that I liked the feel of since... well, shit - I guess it was actually the Prime woodshop around 1995? So not even DSM anyway. I prefer the concave and kicks of BBS, or South Central. DSM feels nothing like either of those.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But they still feel like a Dwindle board, regardless of how well they're made. I haven't stood on a Dwindle pressed board that I liked the feel of since... well, shit - I guess it was actually the Prime woodshop around 1995? So not even DSM anyway. I prefer the concave and kicks of BBS, or South Central. DSM feels nothing like either of those.
How does that make sense all board manufacturers have steep and mellow concaves and full shapes and tapered shapes and steep and mellow kicks. DSM has full concave, mellow concave, medium concave steep kick, mellow kick, full nose and tails tapered nose and tails you could get any shape you desire. They don’t just make one single concave and one type of kick and call it a day.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
How does that make sense all board manufacturers have steep and mellow concaves and full shapes and tapered shapes and steep and mellow kicks. DSM has full concave, mellow concave, medium concave steep kick, mellow kick, full nose and tails tapered nose and tails you could get any shape you desire. They don’t just make one single concave and one type of kick and call it a day.

I was just going to quote him to ask him the same. How does what your saying make any sense Budgie? They offer shapes with different kicks, concaves, wheel bases and they are even starting to offer the shoveled nose/tails(ala BBS/PS Stix) boards starting with their 2018 spring catalog drop. DSM boards are the strongest, poppiest and most durable boards on the market right now, aside from the Powell Flight decks.

micky682

« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »
But who really wants to ride an Enjoi or Almost board?

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
Don't.  Ride an Evisen or Palace instead
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

asakusa75

« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2018, 01:28:44 AM »

Buy a can of white spray paint. I just sprayed up an Enjoi board this morning, going to give it a shot.
Probably be back on Craig boards soon enough though...got one spare just in case I cant adjust.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2018, 03:11:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Buy a can of white spray paint. I just sprayed up an Enjoi board this morning, going to give it a shot.
Probably be back on Craig boards soon enough though...got one spare just in case I cant adjust.
Damn,no love for Enjoi. And for DSM boards, yea they are solid boards but I never find any shapes that I like...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2018, 07:00:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Damn,no love for Enjoi. And for DSM boards, yea they are solid boards but I never find any shapes that I like...

Seems to be really hard to find anything wider than an 8.25". And their 8.25" is more like an 8.18" or something. I'd buy an Enjoi 8.5" with a 14.5" or longer wheelbase if it doesn't have a completely terrible graphic. But such a board is too hard to come by. I would even have liked one of those My Little Pony boards but they were all some stupidly small sizes.  :-\

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2018, 07:17:00 AM »
Obviously some boards can vary in concaves etc but each woodshop has their tendencies....it's pretty easy not to regularly skate DSM stuff because most shops don't carry them.  Or there's always something that beats them out.....I had a Jamie Thomas impact deck yesterday....all lined up to buy it.....'oh sorry...that's not on sale.'

Awesome.....I put it back.  Phew......close one. 

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I was just going to quote him to ask him the same. How does what your saying make any sense Budgie? They offer shapes with different kicks, concaves, wheel bases and they are even starting to offer the shoveled nose/tails(ala BBS/PS Stix) boards starting with their 2018 spring catalog drop. DSM boards are the strongest, poppiest and most durable boards on the market right now, aside from the Powell Flight decks.

Are you both fairly new to skating? Maybe you're not too particular about shape and concave and can just ride any brand?

Ive worked in the industry for over 20 years, lots of time in distro (distributing all Dwindle brands and a million others), and some time literally manufacturing boards. Each manufacturer's boards have unique traits. Some manufacturers have 'similar' concaves and kicks, but it's never exact. For instance - I've found that South Central is the closest to BBS for feel (would maybe be PS if they put more concave within the tail), but it's still a bit different. Why? Because molds are custom made from scratch. It's not like you just go online and order 'skateboard mold (BBS model)'.

From what you're saying, you think DSM makes every single mold/shape that every other deck manufacturer makes, with the same glues, wood, presses and process - because that's the only way you're gonna get a board from one manufacturer to feel like one from another.

Maybe this will help - 'mellow' is not a unit of measurement. Neither is 'steep', or 'full'.

I'm not trying to say Dwindle boards are bad, at all. They look and feel quality to me. I prefer the feel of a steep BBS board, which does not feel like any DSM board I've steeped on.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:55:07 AM by Budgie Lasek »

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »
If you like BBS because say the concave is steep with a certain kick like you stated, you can get that combo in a dsm board, or a ps stix, or clutch, or south central or anyone. You seem to think BBS just makes one shape, not all BBS will feel exactly like that. You generalized all decks from a board manufacturer as feeling one way when they don’t at all. If it’s a steep kick and steep concave with a small nose and tail I don’t like them regardless of board manufacturer. Dsm makes a lot like that, most of their impact decks have small nose and tails with too much concave and I don’t like it at all, that doesn’t mean dsm=that shape. I have an 8.38 enjoi with a full nose and tail 14.2 wheelbase mellow concave, medium kick and I bought it because it has a similar shape to the polar I’m on now from generator, and similar to the deluxe full SE shapes also BBS. I don’t like Deathwish decks generally because they are mellow with pointy noses and tails that doesn’t mean I can say BBS=this deathwish shape I don’t like. “Ive never stood on a bbs deck I’ve liked since 2005” sounds dumb because there’s even a variance in where it is in the stack while being pressed or what brand they made it for. I’ve been skating since 2003 but that doesn’t even matter at all, if you’ve skated so long you should know a board manufacturer has a range of different molds and shapes it’s impossible to generalize all of them. This isn’t cheeseburgers. There’s definitely a difference in the epoxy resin vs natural glue or the shape of the rails and feel of the board as they are made by different people, that doesn’t have to do with the shape of the molds though. Molds are made using numbers and ratios, wheelbase, concave, length of nose and tail, space behind the mounting bolts, two manufacturers can make the same shape and they do. Multiple manufacturers offer the same shapes with the same dimensions. If you’ve been skating so long you should start looking at the dimensions of the boards you like and the shape of the nose and tail instead of just who makes it. What dsm decks have you stood on that you didn’t like? What size were they? What concave? what kick? We’re they all different molds? Do you like every single BBS board? Do you like element decks made by BBS? Because element decks made by BBS don’t have the concave or kick you stated that you like. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:24:26 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
If you like BBS because say the concave is steep with a certain kick like you stated, you can get that combo in a dsm board, or a ps stix, or clutch, or south central or anyone. You seem to think BBS just makes one shape, not all BBS will feel exactly like that. You generalized all decks from a board manufacturer as feeling one way when they don’t at all. If it’s a steep kick and steep concave with a small nose and tail I don’t like them regardless of board manufacturer. Dsm makes a lot like that, most of their impact decks have small nose and tails with too much concave and I don’t like it at all, that doesn’t mean dsm=that shape. I have an 8.38 enjoi with a full nose and tail 14.2 wheelbase mellow concave, medium kick and I bought it because it has a similar shape to the polar I’m on now from generator, and similar to the deluxe full SE shapes also BBS. I don’t like Deathwish decks generally because they are mellow with pointy noses and tails that doesn’t mean I can say BBS=this deathwish shape I don’t like. “Ive never stood on a bbs deck I’ve liked since 2005” sounds dumb because there’s even a variance in where it is in the stack while being pressed or what brand they made it for. I’ve been skating since 2003 but that doesn’t even matter at all, if you’ve skated so long you should know a board manufacturer has a range of different molds and shapes it’s impossible to generalize all of them. This isn’t cheeseburgers. There’s definitely a difference in the epoxy resin vs natural glue or the shape of the rails and feel of the board as they are made by different people, that doesn’t have to do with the shape of the molds though. Molds are made using numbers and ratios, wheelbase, concave, length of nose and tail, space behind the mounting bolts, two manufacturers can make the same shape and they do. Multiple manufacturers offer the same shapes with the same dimensions. If you’ve been skating so long you should start looking at the dimensions of the boards you like and the shape of the nose and tail instead of just who makes it. What dsm decks have you stood on that you didn’t like? What size were they? What concave? what kick? We’re they all different molds? Do you like every single BBS board? Do you like element decks made by BBS? Because element decks made by BBS don’t have the concave or kick you stated that you like.

I guess you completely misunderstood what I was saying, so I'll clarify.

Duhhhhh... every board manufacturer makes all sorts of different molds, does different wheelbases, constructions etc. I love that DLX gets BBS to put the roman numerals on the decks now to specify where they were in the stack because I like a deep concave. 

I probably stood on almost every DSM deck that was my size that came through the distro I worked at for many years, never once felt one I liked. And yes, I realize they make a huge range of molds - still none I liked.

Lots of the BBS boards were too mellow, lots had shapes I didn't like. But, they DO make the particular concave/kick/shape combo I like the most, so that's why i stick with BBS, mostly. Fucking loved the South Central pressed boards I rode, but they're rare around here.

It would seem you're under the impression that each manufacturer makes an exact copy - somewhere in their line of molds - of every mold that every other manufacturer has? Or is it just your favorite, DSM, that does that? They literally make every other mold, by every other manufacturer? Amazing.

Who am I even arguing with? You clearly don't understand that two different manufacturers aren't going to end up with an identical product, or you're just not sensitive enough to the minute differences between decks to notice that sort of thing. I'm incredibly picky about boards - too picky. And that's why I definitely notice a huge difference between the closest DSM mold to my favorite BBS mold, and the real thing. Night and day. I've literally built boards for a living man, you're really gonna try to school me on on this?

Edit: You're not fan of DSM, my bad.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:19:12 PM by Budgie Lasek »

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2018, 12:56:03 PM »
Put it this way - there were several times when, in a whole distro with 30+ deck brands, I couldn't find an 8.25 that I liked. That's how much I notice the details.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
Element is PS eh.....

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2018, 11:19:38 PM »
Element is PS eh.....
they do both ps and bbs.

my issue with dsm for dwindle specific decks is, they only seem to do full/steep concave on the cheaper hard rock maple/hybrid decks. they used to offer this concave combo on most of the resin 7 decks, its few and far between. also, in canada a palace deck costs shops $52-54 so most shops will sell for $80-90, not making good margin. or you get a dwindle resin 7 deck for $40-50 so they will sell for $75-80 meaning the shop can actually make good money. why buy the same quality deck for more, and have your shop make less?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »
I usually feel pretty good about buying neither.....

curbdrop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Revive is made by clutch, they are good and strong
[close]
how you know what Revive boards are made of  ::)

I want more on this. Schrock says they come from the same place as Birdhouse, Slap theorists state that NHS has invested in them somehow, and now this.

I want to see who is supplying this empire.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2018, 02:03:12 AM »
Anyone know who does visual? There's a Matt Miller board i'm eyeing off

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2018, 03:49:13 AM »
did palace change woodshops over the years? had one in 2013 maybe 2014 and it was great then got one late 2016 and it was pretty bad imo