Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread  (Read 123918 times)

Clock3rs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Woodshop Directory 2018 Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 05, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Bought a PS Stix board once again, full of joy to have a nice shaped square board contrary to the baker deck I rode before.

it cracked after 2 hours of skating flat.iam 6,1 ft long and 176 lb

fuck this shit
[close]

Where did it crack? What trick were you doing? I am so torn on PS boards at the moment. I stayed away for at least a year, but the Quasi I'm on has been great. Disclaimer: it's only been a week. Ironically enough, the length on this 8' is longer than the 8.125 and the nose/tail are also longer. Point being, PS shapes and dimensions are very strange.

tail, kickflip. but I was putting full effort in doing a good one. In addition - I had new shoes and zero feeling, so I may blame it on this one. I just love the shape and I will give PS stix one last shot.

gonna get a quasi next. hope this one will be fine. I'd love to ride a baker steep shape, but my local dealer doesn't stock any, so it's kind of not an option at all right now.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:51:52 AM by Clock3rs »

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #361 on: July 05, 2018, 01:06:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Bought a PS Stix board once again, full of joy to have a nice shaped square board contrary to the baker deck I rode before.

it cracked after 2 hours of skating flat.iam 6,1 ft long and 176 lb

fuck this shit
[close]

Where did it crack? What trick were you doing? I am so torn on PS boards at the moment. I stayed away for at least a year, but the Quasi I'm on has been great. Disclaimer: it's only been a week. Ironically enough, the length on this 8' is longer than the 8.125 and the nose/tail are also longer. Point being, PS shapes and dimensions are very strange.

Couldn't agree more, my current toy machine is really really strange. It's labeled as an 8.375, but tapers to the tail to 8.125...actually feels like an 8.25. The strangest thing is the length labeled as 32.75 (measured 32.25) with a 14.25 wb...too long for this wb, way too unpropertied. The worst is that mush out in like three weeks but keep skating until it was literally no pop left, like 2 months.

Next and for a long time back to dlx wood, way more durable and the full se are kinda perfect.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #362 on: July 05, 2018, 02:04:44 AM »
Haven't checked in a while but how is Crail wood now? I heard certain models are being pressed in North America? Is there way to identify the NA pressed Crail boards? Thanks.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »
I thought wknd had switched.....

Can’t speak for every board they make, but mine definitely has the little ps stix number on it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2018, 11:27:19 AM »
Update for the first page of this thread:

All of the new Element boards are stamped BUILT BY BBS on the top ply. Every single one I saw at the shop this weekend. Wall Writer series, Elna Series, and Natures Way series.

That's a pretty big deal IMO if they are moving all their production away from PS.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »
Haven't checked in a while but how is Crail wood now? I heard certain models are being pressed in North America? Is there way to identify the NA pressed Crail boards? Thanks.

I don't think they're pressing boards in NA. I believe they just started stamping the tops with something along the lines of "made with North American maple", but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not still made in China. I'm also pretty sure even before this supposed switch to new wood the boards were already made of NA wood, just not stamped denoting it. If they truly stepped up quality and started using boards manufactured in NA, they'd probably tell us wouldn't they (e.g. mfg in US/Mexico with North American Maple)? Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I feel like the "new wood" is either marginally better or the same exact wood as before with a new stamp on top to make us think the boards are better. Can anyone confirm or deny?

micky682

« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think they're pressing boards in NA. I believe they just started stamping the tops with something along the lines of "made with North American maple", but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not still made in China. I'm also pretty sure even before this supposed switch to new wood the boards were already made of NA wood, just not stamped denoting it. If they truly stepped up quality and started using boards manufactured in NA, they'd probably tell us wouldn't they (e.g. mfg in US/Mexico with North American Maple)? Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I feel like the "new wood" is either marginally better or the same exact wood as before with a new stamp on top to make us think the boards are better. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Crail probably also has or had the money to manufacture their boards through BBS or PS stix, but nah.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #367 on: July 05, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
The new crail boards are made in china but not by DSM.  That's all I know. 

That being said, they are actually really strong.  I know this because I tried to focus my new Girl board twice yesterday and failed both times haha

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #368 on: July 05, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
Yeah the consensus is the boards seem better but still made in parts unknown.....crazy about element something must be up w. PS as lots of people have been switching.....the only company I'd bank on PS is welcome.....

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #369 on: July 05, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
Update for the first page of this thread:

All of the new Element boards are stamped BUILT BY BBS on the top ply. Every single one I saw at the shop this weekend. Wall Writer series, Elna Series, and Natures Way series.

That's a pretty big deal IMO if they are moving all their production away from PS.

Updated

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #370 on: July 06, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »
Expand Quote

What is the "about this skateboard" graphic referring to?

I just bought the Selego re-issue hoping for BBS and it's a PS Stix.
[close]

As much as I wanted one of those Exposition reissue, the fact they were PS Stix kept me away.

Regarding that posted graphic above, it was originally designed for PS boards but they are just using it generically for all their releases.

Just got the O'Connor Exposition and while it is a PS, what is interesting is that it is actually true to size.

With two exceptions (both BBS) I've skated nothing but PS for the past couple of years, and every single one has been about 1/8" narrower than the listed size when measured over the front truck. This one is true to size though, which kind of makes me wonder if some of the negative feedback about the way they measure has gotten back to them.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #371 on: July 06, 2018, 11:52:46 AM »
That Element thing is crazy. Going away from PS is a big deal considering the relationship with Schmitt since the beginning.

Schmitt stix
to
New Deal
to sister companies Underworld Element and Mad Circle
to killing all companies and leaving only Element

You can clearly see the made by BBS in the photo

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Element_Section_Black_Deck/descpage-ELSB7DK.html

shit_for_brains

« Reply #372 on: July 06, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
There were only a few PS Elements at the shop today. The others were BBS which I'm stoked on because as heritage and I have been discussing, Element is not as bad as it's made out to be.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #373 on: July 06, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What is the "about this skateboard" graphic referring to?

I just bought the Selego re-issue hoping for BBS and it's a PS Stix.
[close]

As much as I wanted one of those Exposition reissue, the fact they were PS Stix kept me away.

Regarding that posted graphic above, it was originally designed for PS boards but they are just using it generically for all their releases.
[close]

Just got the O'Connor Exposition and while it is a PS, what is interesting is that it is actually true to size.

With two exceptions (both BBS) I've skated nothing but PS for the past couple of years, and every single one has been about 1/8" narrower than the listed size when measured over the front truck. This one is true to size though, which kind of makes me wonder if some of the negative feedback about the way they measure has gotten back to them.

Ben Degros mentions in a video how ps insists on measuring decks by the curvature of the concave instead of straight across.  I can see why that would be the preferable way to measure for those involved in making decks, but it means that everyone else has to convert the measurement over.

I like ps but just measure straight across for fucks sake.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:09:31 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: July 06, 2018, 02:30:24 PM »
I have thunder 148's and keep buying 8.25 BBS boards and wondering if I could skate an 8.125 because there's still a bit of space.....straight across makes sense because the main reason you want the size is to fit your trucks....

The element stuff I've seen, the shapes seem a bit more potato shaped....rounder than the usual PS stuff...though element had more variety than the standard PS stuff which was usually squarish...

Bummer.....I know some people have had bad PS stuff lately but overall Paul Schmitt has made some of the best boards period....if we have one woodshop pressing 80% of the market......

Hey....who owns BBS/Gen?

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: July 06, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
J soy - yes you definitely can. I skate 149s on decks 8 thru 8.38. My sweet spot is 149 on 8.125 decks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: July 06, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
If I see that nut from up top......it's on you bro....you think it have this many posts in the truck thread because I'm a perfectly sane person? 

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #377 on: July 06, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
One setup I got is a krooked birds slick 8.06 with149 forged hollows, no noticably huge stick out from up above.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: July 06, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »
If I see that nut from up top......it's on you bro....you think it have this many posts in the truck thread because I'm a perfectly sane person?

;D That's a good point!

I only really see the nut on 8' boards. Let me see if I can snap some pics for you tonight. I just set up an 8.125 Magenta with Thunder 149. I'll PM you a couple different angles.

@bumpnrun - I didn't even think about it that way, but you're absolutely right. Paul has been a part of that company in some iteration for a really long time. I know what you mean about the potato shapes, IMO they used to look really bizarre. And I never understood the 6 inch tails on 8.25 and 8.38 boards. The new BBS stuff looks killer and I'm going to try one at some point. I just have a stack of other boards to get through. Like SFB was saying, Element actually has some really cool stuff going on. Their team is ridiculous, they hook up some great dudes (Levi, Tim Tim), and their art direction is solid.

ballintoohard

« Reply #379 on: July 07, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
Whoever Sour uses is garbage. The bottom ply is chipping and delamm'ing after 2 sessions. Also, it seems super thin and prone to razor'ing.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #380 on: July 07, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
On Sours description the wood is pressed in Spain.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2018, 11:23:02 PM »
In NA it was BBS....

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2018, 01:30:11 AM »
On Sours description the wood is pressed in Spain.
JART wood.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

ballintoohard

« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »
Honestly the worst deck I've ever had aside from one of the original Lib Techs in the late 90's.

What companies have similar shapes to Polar? I've liked all my Polars, but get bored of riding the same thing over and over and over.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »
Honestly the worst deck I've ever had aside from one of the original Lib Techs in the late 90's.

What companies have similar shapes to Polar? I've liked all my Polars, but get bored of riding the same thing over and over and over.

Like their shaped boards? I think those are unique to Polar. I'm riding a popsicle Polar board right now and it's just like every other popsicle from bbs/generator.

ballintoohard

« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »
popsicle. They seem to have more rounded/slightly bigger noses and shorter wheelbases, especially compared to some of the DLX boards of the same dimensions.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
They definitely have shorter wheelbases, which is what first drew me to them, but DLX has started making shapes that are comparable. They started making lengths around 32" and below and the shorter wheelbases as well. The FA/Hockey 8.25 has a big fat nose and tail and short WB, but the concave can be a little much. Whenever I venture out and try something else, and it doesn't IMMEDIATELY work out, I go right back to a DLX or Polar because I know that's my shit.

Of course I'm talking mostly about the 8.25 shapes and a couple of 8.5

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #387 on: July 08, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »
They definitely have shorter wheelbases, which is what first drew me to them, but DLX has started making shapes that are comparable. They started making lengths around 32" and below and the shorter wheelbases as well. The FA/Hockey 8.25 has a big fat nose and tail and short WB, but the concave can be a little much. Whenever I venture out and try something else, and it doesn't IMMEDIATELY work out, I go right back to a DLX or Polar because I know that's my shit.

the 8.5 all have a wb of 14,5, so it is not really short. Maybe the wb of the 8.25 shapes is different.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2018, 12:24:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the 8.5 all have a wb of 14,5, so it is not really short. Maybe the wb of the 8.25 shapes is different.

8.25 is 14.25 which is shorter than average

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2018, 01:24:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

8.25 is 14.25 which is shorter than average

I'd say that 14.25" wheelbase is the average for 8.25" decks, certainly not shorter than average. It's pretty hard to come by with 8.25" decks with longer wheelbases. Main reason why I switched to 8.38" and 8.5" myself.