Author Topic: Cory's Out.  (Read 26674 times)

JusticeAbberdash

Re: Cory's Out.
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
Once my two buddies showed up at my place wasted and wanted me to go hang out down the road. I agreed and got in, not even a kilometre down the road we almost hit the ditch. I made them drop me back off at my place and they sped away together. A hour or two later they crashed and one of them couldn't walk for a long time (no deaths luckily).

I feel responsible to this day, for not stopping them or taking the keys, etc.. I didn't stop them because I drank and drove tons of times, but not wanting to feel like a hypocrite is no excuse.

Basically, just being near people that are drinking and driving brings bad things. Without the law or anyone else getting involved, punishment is doled out by everyones conscience that was there that day. I feel terrible for my part in that event, and my story is 1/100th of what CK experienced.

tura

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
Two scenarios -
1- Someone drives drunk, as many do regularly where I'm from. No crash, everybody lives
2- Someone drives drunk, crashes. Death.

Is person 2 more deserving of punishment than person 1? And if so, what is the purpose of the punishment?

More interestingly-
1- Someone drives drunk. crash. No death
2- Someone drives drunk. Crash. Death.
If the actions of person 1 and 2 are the same, but the outcomes are dramatically different due to outside variables, should persons 1 and 2 be held to different degrees of responsibility?

Death happens, often as a result of the dumb, casually reckless shit a lot of us do regularly. A valid argument exists that we shouldn't take risks at all, but that brings up the spectrum of risk taking, within which both extremes are as absurd and destructive as each other.

Unfortunately, legality necessarily requires a certain level of rigidity in order to function, and intention is too formless and open to interpretation to apply. Because of this lack of clarity, it is the results of actions that become priority.

But in the case of morality - the only standpoint with any validity outside of courts - I think it's intention that matters. I don't think person 2 is any more of a villain than person 1.

I guess what I mean is I hope this doesn't ruin Cory's life, because people have done dumber shit and gotten away with it.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »
Death happens, often as a result of the dumb, casually reckless shit a lot of us do regularly.
This scares me when I look back at alot of the stuff I've had close calls with (some my fault, some not) and wonder why I'm still here and some aren't.

Not a paralegal or anything but I think they have a year to charge him.

There's been cases of people drunk driving getting into accidents that's not even their fault, then getting charged just cuz they were "driving under the influence".

That's messed up.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
Two scenarios -
1- Someone drives drunk, as many do regularly where I'm from. No crash, everybody lives

Is person 2 more deserving of punishment than person 1? And if so, what is the purpose of the punishment?

More interestingly-
1- Someone drives drunk. crash. No death
2- Someone drives drunk. Crash. Death.
If the actions of person 1 and 2 are the same, but the outcomes are dramatically different due to outside variables, should persons 1 and 2 be held to different degrees of responsibility?

Death happens, often as a result of the dumb, casually reckless shit a lot of us do regularly. A valid argument exists that we shouldn't take risks at all, but that brings up the spectrum of risk taking, within which both extremes are as absurd and destructive as each other.

Unfortunately, legality necessarily requires a certain level of rigidity in order to function, and intention is too formless and open to interpretation to apply. Because of this lack of clarity, it is the results of actions that become priority.

But in the case of morality - the only standpoint with any validity outside of courts - I think it's intention that matters. I don't think person 2 is any more of a villain than person 1.

I guess what I mean is I hope this doesn't ruin Cory's life, because people have done dumber shit and gotten away with it.

If you drive drunk on a closed circuit by yourself and crash and die I don't care because it's your decision to risk your life, but if you're doing it in public you're risking the lives of random people and that's not your risk to take. Driving drunk puts innocent people's lives in danger and imo should be punished whether shit happens or not. The level of intoxication should define the degree of the punishment. Also the passengers are morally accountable if they let someone drive intoxicated.

I can't really say much about cory since I don't know how drunk he was or what actually caused the accident in the end. The turn where the accident happened looks pretty gnarly and it was night time so it could have happened even if he was sober if he was speeding or distracted by something

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »
My buddy crashed his friend's car drunk by turning fast on a wet street right into a tree,he knocked out, passenger broke his leg and one of the two in the back broke their arm. He spent a week in the hospital,then after he was out he immediately dealt with multiple court hearings and various charges until they settled on DUI and reckless driving etc. since no one was going to press charges on him. He served 20 days in jail, and wasnt able to drive legally for over a year,had a strict probation officer and fines up the ass,let alone guilt. He regrets it,but it was a huge reality check.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
Two scenarios -

interesting question but also a really over simplified ivory tower way of looking at it.

i think knowing your limits is pretty important factor in all this. there's lots of people who know their limits and manage them well but the laws are written for the lowest common denominator. i think this is why the outcome matters in a lot of cases because it speaks to your inability to know your own limits.

also, alcohol effects a lot of people differently. if i have a few drinks i drive like a grand mother going to church but others get a few drinks and think its a great time to speed and drive like an asshole.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Two scenarios -

[close]

interesting question but also a really over simplified ivory tower way of looking at it.

i think knowing your limits is pretty important factor in all this. there's lots of people who know their limits and manage them well but the laws are written for the lowest common denominator. i think this is why the outcome matters in a lot of cases because it speaks to your inability to know your own limits.

also, alcohol effects a lot of people differently. if i have a few drinks i drive like a grand mother going to church but others get a few drinks and think its a great time to speed and drive like an asshole.

I hope you get caught.  Might save your life.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Jacob Gary

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 03:29:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Two scenarios -

[close]

"I drive better when I'm high."

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Two scenarios -

[close]

It really doesn't matter how the law is written when it comes to drinking and driving in America.

Cory's case is kind of an example because apparently his blood alcohol was low but lets just have no names in my description.

If a person only had one or two beers (not drunk) and drove home and got into an accident with another person who didn't drink at all. The person who has been drinking is going to be at fault no matter what. Not saying that's right but that's how the courts/insurance companies are going to see it.

Just not worth it at all. My mom calls me to pick her up after she only drank 3 beers at most but then again she rarely drinks

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
where the fuck do you guys live where it's uncommon for people to drive after having a few drink. you all have a work happy hour and everyone ubers home? get fuck outa here...

i have clients in tamps, san diego, san franciso who i travel to and there's always dinner and drinks. i went to bali this summer for a wedding, i've got family in australia and no matter where i'm at people have a few drinks and drive. acting like that doesn't happen is just naive.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
where the fuck do you guys live where it's uncommon for people to drive after having a few drink. you all have a work happy hour and everyone ubers home? get fuck outa here...

i have clients in tamps, san diego, san franciso who i travel to and there's always dinner and drinks. i went to bali this summer for a wedding, i've got family in australia and no matter where i'm at people have a few drinks and drive. acting like that doesn't happen is just naive.

I didn't say its uncommon. I just said what would happen if they got into an accident

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
Impairment begins with the 1st drink and all but IIRC he blew under .10 which was legal until about 10 years ago. It's not like he was half a bottle of scotch in like some of these posts make it sound.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2018, 06:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I didn't say its uncommon. I just said what would happen if they got into an accident

oh no, i agree with what you said and it's a definite legal risk you take. they had a wreck in austin where a red light malfunction recently and two kids died when their mini van got t boned by a guy in a truck. if that guy had a few drinks before that he'd be fucked even if he was driving fine.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »
"driving fine" seems like kind of a meaningless state, you might be driving fine but if your taking something that depresses your central nervous system you will not be able to react as quickly to a surprise. You might not be swerving all over the road, but it still could effect your reaction to a split second situation.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:06:01 AM by perverted super otaku! »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2018, 09:00:53 AM »
the point was a bit of an ivory tower hypothetical about all things being equal, meaning your reactions wouldn't make a difference, you'd be fucked. basically backing up tobey's point.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
Impairment begins with the 1st drink and all but IIRC he blew under .10 which was legal until about 10 years ago. It's not like he was half a bottle of scotch in like some of these posts make it sound.
.1 is drunk. You're so impaired at that point that you have nothing to do behind the steering wheel of anything.

Here it's .02, which is pretty much 1 small beer and a few hours later you are (for the most part) legally allowed to drive.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:05 AM »

I live in Scotland and it is very uncommon now, especially if you live near any kind of civilization. 2 beers and you're over. Think it is a criminal offence now to rather than a traffic violation. Depending what you do you have a good chance of losing your job. I'm either walking, taxi or not drinking. I don't really think about a 30 minute walk home but I feel like lots of Americans wouldn't even consider that. If I've ever driven over it would have been the morning after.

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
would you say the same about ali boulala? (back then)
[close]

This makes me think and I'm suprised everyone looked over this post.
[close]
  I don't know what this means but I never said shit about Ali in that scenario, fuckin shit happens.  What is the good in finding a villain in that situation in the aftermath?  Nothing would get me on the back of that dudes bike -just looks like a bad idea.
[close]

The topic of Ali and Shane has been gone over many times on here. Most reasonable people feel Shane, like P-Stone, was partly to blame, he was drunk, and he got on the bike of someone who was clearly wasted. Yes Ali is also to blame, but he went to jail, fucked himself physically and , just like Cory, will have live knowing he unintentionally killed his friend. The guilt is propbably the worst punishment, but if you get in/on a vehicle where the driver is drunk you assume some of the responsibility. There are lots of similarities between these two situations.
Personally I wish the best for both Ali and Cory, I am fans of both of their skating.  Ali seem pretty fucked but hopefully Cory can move forward and not let this destroy him.

Fair enough. Never seen the slap posts on Ali. Just a fuck load on YouTube comments saying shit that shouldn't be said.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I live in Scotland and it is very uncommon now, especially if you live near any kind of civilization. 2 beers and you're over. Think it is a criminal offence now to rather than a traffic violation. Depending what you do you have a good chance of losing your job. I'm either walking, taxi or not drinking. I don't really think about a 30 minute walk home but I feel like lots of Americans wouldn't even consider that. If I've ever driven over it would have been the morning after.

oh cool, a lot of my in laws are from aberdine. i was actually in bali this summer for my sisters wedding and she was marying into a scotish family. never really got the vibe you are describing from them but you'd know better than me. they also have super strict dui laws in western australia where my dad lives, they even do random road blocks where you have to blow but a lot of the people i know still roll the dice even there.

definitely not saying everyone should have a few and drive, i'm just saying that most of the people i know do it and i have a pretty spread out circle so it surprising to me that people are reacting like it's child porn or some other super taboo thing. to me it's closer to speeding.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2018, 08:39:07 PM »
they also have super strict dui laws in western australia where my dad lives, they even do random road blocks where you have to blow but a lot of the people i know still roll the dice even there.

Hold up. Do they not have roadside random breath testing in the U.S? if they didn't have that in Aus then I'd say HEAPS more people would drink and drive.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »
Expand Quote
they also have super strict dui laws in western australia where my dad lives, they even do random road blocks where you have to blow but a lot of the people i know still roll the dice even there.
[close]

Hold up. Do they not have roadside random breath testing in the U.S? if they didn't have that in Aus then I'd say HEAPS more people would drink and drive.

No we do but usually I only see them during holiday drinking days. Very rare you will see them on a random night

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No we do but usually I only see them during holiday drinking days. Very rare you will see them on a random night
I would also guess they are a lot less likely to be present in rural communities.

A thing that gets forgotten in this, to the best of my knowledge, where Cory lived is only accessible by Ferry and then a car. Without public transportation or cabs, someone is way less likely to leave their car somewhere overnight and try to get home and pick up their car the next day. More likely, someone has one too many and thinks driving is the only option.

Where I live, you have too many beers, you leave your car where it is, hope you don't get a ticket and take a cab or the subway home.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Over here in the Orange Curtain,CA they can happen multiple times a week sometimes. They're easily avoidable if you know the area you're driving in and didn't have any drinks,but DUIs are handed out like lotto tickets here. That's a big reason Uber and Lyft do so well,with the exception of the irresponsible people that will drink and drive. A lot of people that have been charged with a DUI go party,but get a ride now.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Radbloke

• Rep: 75
  • Quit jivin me, turkey.
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2018, 02:33:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's not just at night in Australia. We get the booze bus parked up at the back of the school near my place on Wednesday mornings sometimes. You'd be shocked with the amount of mums blowing the breatho to bits dropping their kids off in the morning. They test for drugs too.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've never seen it in the us by my wife and i don't go out late or partying or anything like that. red wine with dinner is raging for us.

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2018, 06:50:28 AM »
Checkpoints are common on rural highways leading out of big cities into smaller towns, only at night though. Ive experienced a handful. One was weird, I was drunk on a revoked, they just made me dump my extras and let me drive off. I thought it was a trick and they were gonna start shooting me when I rolled away.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

oh cool, a lot of my in laws are from aberdine. i was actually in bali this summer for my sisters wedding and she was marying into a scotish family. never really got the vibe you are describing from them but you'd know better than me. they also have super strict dui laws in western australia where my dad lives, they even do random road blocks where you have to blow but a lot of the people i know still roll the dice even there.

definitely not saying everyone should have a few and drive, i'm just saying that most of the people i know do it and i have a pretty spread out circle so it surprising to me that people are reacting like it's child porn or some other super taboo thing. to me it's closer to speeding.

Granite city folks. Nah, the thing is most Scottish folk are booze hounds so if they were given an opportunity where they could get away with it they would. Like my buddy never drink drives at home but now he lives in Morocco where you can bribe cops easy so he does it. But in country the consequences are so high and provision of taxis and public transport is decent enough folk don't risk it.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
Its funny how the perception/acceptance has changed over time. When I was 18 (long time ago) I remember getting pulled over by the cops out front of my house where we stopped while I went in to get some clothes to get into a club after a party. There was about 12 of us in the front/back a ute, all drunk including the driver. Cops puts him on the breathalyser, doesn't tell him what it read but made us all walk to the club, he was way over for sure as well as all the other issues with us in the back of a ute.

This was in a small rural town which is probably significant. But these days everyone would have been ticketed for sure. I've lost quite a few friends to drink driving so I guess its not a bad thing. I actually got alcohol & drug tested the other morning coming home from the skate park on a Saturday morning with my son.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
.1 is drunk. You're so impaired at that point that you have nothing to do behind the steering wheel of anything.

Here it's .02, which is pretty much 1 small beer and a few hours later you are (for the most part) legally allowed to drive.
  .02 is the legal limit for people over 18 but not old enough to drink legally in most u.s. states. Which I always thought was that it went up from 0 when you turn 18
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »