Author Topic: New Nyjah Huston Thrasher cover  (Read 22777 times)

GinosGroceries

Re: New Nyjah Huston Thrasher cover
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Off topic but it's kinda rad that there are 5 Sotys named on the cover

Hevonen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
Shit cover for sure. Surely he's done something equally gnarly that would make for a better photo. Fakie 5050 on that is insane though, has anyone done it down something big before?

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
Somebody finally landed a goofy footed double fakie ollie grind...

I understand this reference.

MOUNTAIN

• Rep: 211
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Somebody finally landed a goofy footed double fakie ollie grind...
[close]

I understand this reference.
alyssa milano?
We used to skate on a sculpture by Henry Moore. Good times.

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
It’s a fakie 5050. Guess he nollie nosegrinded it too. La Jolla 18 from the classic Chief smith photo

Fuckin A, you're right. The photo of a photo creates kind of an optical illusion where if you stare at it long enough his left foot seems to become his right foot and vice versa.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
this is the kind of photo non skateboarding press photographers take at the openng of a new skatepark for the local newspaper. 'indecipherable jump' right next to a super dramatic close up of a boards tail just leaving the coping as a child drops into a 1/4. if youre lucky youll also get a mid pop snap of a definitely not landed flailing flatground ollie attempt from the only dude in the park thats wearing full pads... the captions are better in these articles though.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TRANSWORLD SUCKS DICKS
[close]

How many classic videos Thrasher got?
[close]

UNDER THE BRIDGE HALL OF MEAT HOW TO SKATEBOARD BETTER 911EMERGENCY

[close]

5InchDick got the all caps covered brah
[close]

Prevent this tragedy too

None of these videos are classics compared to worst Transworld video.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »
Bring back cover sequences. Crazy trick. Stupid photo.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TRANSWORLD SUCKS DICKS
[close]

[close]

BITCH

I am not claiming thrasher has never made any classic skate videos, but wasn't "How to Skateboard Better" a trick tip video? What could have made that classic?

paintHUFfer

• Rep: -2
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2018, 02:07:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"His heaviest moves yet"....damn what happened to Thrasher
[close]

Is this where ride channel went?
[close]

It’s pure Michael Burnett.   His photo captions hurt my soul
[close]
I dunno guys... Skate magazines have never really been known for hard hitting journalism and witty prose. It's always been like this. Sure there's some shining examples of good writing, but it's the exception and not the rule.
[close]

I'm that weirdo that reads my magazines over and over, ever since I was 13. I was going to share some travel articles that made me realize that I hate California, but analyzing the writing made me realize that the quality tends to be milquetoast at best, save for a few exceptions. Burnett has written a few pretty funny articles, but yeah, his captions can be pretty bad.

Also, I'm genuinely glad Nyjah is actually skateboarding instead of completely fucking up his life with partying. I don't like to see anybody go through hard times, except maybe my ex.

even doe homeboi is a rapist and sucked his brother(s) dick?

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2018, 03:31:25 AM »
Looking forward to footy and rest of the photos.

This photo certainly has done something, we are already arguing on 3rd page.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2018, 05:23:35 AM »
thrasher sucks.

Killyoureself4000

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2018, 06:57:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TRANSWORLD SUCKS DICKS
[close]

[close]

BITCH
[close]

I am not claiming thrasher has never made any classic skate videos, but wasn't "How to Skateboard Better" a trick tip video? What could have made that classic?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!    !!

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
I wonder it it might have been a better angle from the top looking down the stairs?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I dunno guys... Skate magazines have never really been known for hard hitting journalism and witty prose. It's always been like this. Sure there's some shining examples of good writing, but it's the exception and not the rule.
[close]

I'm that weirdo that reads my magazines over and over, ever since I was 13. I was going to share some travel articles that made me realize that I hate California, but analyzing the writing made me realize that the quality tends to be milquetoast at best, save for a few exceptions. Burnett has written a few pretty funny articles, but yeah, his captions can be pretty bad.

Also, I'm genuinely glad Nyjah is actually skateboarding instead of completely fucking up his life with partying. I don't like to see anybody go through hard times, except maybe my ex.

Wait....did you decide you hate a place you haven't visited because of a magazine article? That's hilarious. Do you also decide whether or not you like the food in a restaurant based on what other people say without eating it?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Wait....did you decide you hate a place you haven't visited because of a magazine article? That's hilarious. Do you also decide whether or not you like the food in a restaurant based on what other people say without eating it?

I grew up in Orange County, California.

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
Nike must had paid good to Thrasher to make them make good publicity of their Nyjah´s shoe on their cover.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I grew up in Orange County, California.
Oooof...yeah, you have valid reasons
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2199
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
Expand Quote
TRANSWORLD SUCKS DICKS
[close]

Skate And Destroy for PS1.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »
Not only is this photo terrible but I hate when they clutter that shit up with writing. It looks like total dog shit.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
The upper angle was probably all neck tat. The photog did us all a favor.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »
even with all the different angles everyone has posted, I feel like that's just a hard trick to photograph so that everyone knows what the trick is.  there's no good frame that would possibly let you know that it was no doubt a fakie 50.  you do it early to show that it's fakie and you don't see the trick.  if he's already on the rail, it looks like a switch 50.  probably should've just used the nollie nosegrind, but fakie 50-50 is definitely savage.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
Is this a backside laser flip to layback slide?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
Not only is this photo terrible but I hate when they clutter that shit up with writing. It looks like total dog shit.

Not that I don’t appreciate the Arto cover, but you literally could have used the last Thrasher issue to make your point

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
All of Thrasher's staff photographers are the blandest in the business.

I still think the worst cover was Dane Burman's 50-50 in Philly. The number 1 gnarliest thing about that trick was the gigantic drop off the end, but Burnett shot it from above so you couldn't see the height of the drop at all. Some dude took a way better phone photo from the bottom. It just doesn't make any sense.

There's a lot of younger photographers killing the game in California but they can't get a look because the old boys club runs the show. Glad they gave Spitzer the last cover at least...

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 07:02:01 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s a fakie 5050. Guess he nollie nosegrinded it too. La Jolla 18 from the classic Chief smith photo
[close]

Fuckin A, you're right. The photo of a photo creates kind of an optical illusion where if you stare at it long enough his left foot seems to become his right foot and vice versa.

bingo. i didn't understand why people were calling it switch front board until i saw it again today and realized it's kind of impossible to say with certainty where one leg ends and one begins in that IG screen grab

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »

I still think the worst cover was Dane Burman's 50-50 in Philly. The number 1 gnarliest thing about that trick was the gigantic drop off the end, but Burnett shot it from above so you couldn't see the height of the drop at all. Some dude took a way better phone photo from the bottom. It just doesn't make any sense.

There's a lot of younger photographers killing the game in California but they can't get a look because the old boys club runs the show. Glad they gave Spitzer the last cover at least...

I don't know. The cover photo isn't great but I do like seeing the pedestrians to the left and it sort of works with the Thrasher logo. But do get what you mean. Found these photos below and the drop looks more insane.

I think a vertical shot of this perspective would have looked rad. Still get the people and a better scale of the drop.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2018, 04:28:50 AM »
Thrasher cover is just about big spots, no criativity and aesthetics.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:09 AM »

Transworld’s been using them.   They’ve always had great photos.  Not sure why they’ve been getting hate on here recently. 

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Transworld’s been using them.   They’ve always had great photos.  Not sure why they’ve been getting hate on here recently.
Ive had subscriptions to both for years and Thrasher is straight up trash. The writing is boring, the photos are bad and no way i would want to re-read any of them. Thrasher seems to cover a side of skateboarding that has very little appeal to me and its rare they have an article i want to read, and even when they do run an article that i might like its always super bland and disappointing.
 In the last few years TWS lost alot of content and now it just feels pretty weak and thin. dont really like the new big format they run with the matte paper but its way better than the small matte version they ran before that with the nasty feeling paper.
TWS always have better photos than Thrasher but euro mags like Solo, Free, Vague and North blow them out of the water with better content, photos, creative pieces and overall feel and vibe. I miss Kingpin.