Author Topic: Calling Any and All Filmers.  (Read 577 times)

NFLYoungboy

• Rep: -1
Calling Any and All Filmers.
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
For someone considering picking up filming, what's a decent starter camera to invest in? Also, what advice would you give if you have any? Any response would help.

Also we'll exclude phones, soooo yeah.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
Re: Calling Any and All Filmers.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
My advice is to use the search option of this messageboard.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
Whats your budget? what type of footage(hpx style or dslr or vx) do you like? How much gear are you willing to lug around?

NFLYoungboy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »
Whats your budget? what type of footage(hpx style or dslr or vx) do you like? How much gear are you willing to lug around?
Hypothetically, I'm willing to save up and drop around $500 to $900. I don't mind carrying around heavy shit all day.  I like VX, but that shit's hella expensive and high maitenence so, I'd rock anything from hpx to hd style stuff.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 19
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:26:59 AM »
Hypothetically, I'm willing to save up and drop around $500 to $900. I don't mind carrying around heavy shit all day.  I like VX, but that shit's hella expensive and high maitenence so, I'd rock anything from hpx to hd style stuff.

Your best bet is a mirrorless setup. You could probably get a panasonic gh2 used for about $300, a fisheye in the mid $200 range, and that leaves you with $400 for a long lens(or two), a mic and a cheap handle.

NFLYoungboy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:30:29 AM »

Your best bet is a mirrorless setup. You could probably get a panasonic gh2 used for about $300, a fisheye in the mid $200 range, and that leaves you with $400 for a long lens(or two), a mic and a cheap handle.
Sounds good. I'll be shopping around in the near future then.

stophatin

• Rep: -24
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?

NFLYoungboy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:05:12 PM »
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

hvx1000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 05:20:12 AM »

yes dude! fucking epic quote! My girl friend got me an hvx200 for xmas two years ago (hands down best/coolest gift I have ever been giving) and filming/making edits with my friends has been the best. We have a group  of about 7/8 of us in chicago and we've been hitting the parks/streets regularly its unreal. We are all pushing 30 and having a damn blast. No one takes it serious and its just the fucking best. I recently got a gh3 for $300 on fb marketplace and love it, eazy handle from someone I found on SP and an opteka fish for $150 off amazon. If you are going mirrorless order a focal reducer from china off ebay, I got one for $75 and its essential. It took about 3 weeks to get. whats your insta I wanna see what you make my dude!
I dunno about Money but the fun is boomin'

hvx1000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »

I made this my sig, I fuck with it heavy
I dunno about Money but the fun is boomin'

Michnich191

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
Tons of DSLR options for under $500 that's a good place to start. You could probably get a fisheye/accessories and handle as well pending the camera. I have a canon T2i & T3i Im looking to sell DM me if interested. If you want a camcorder style the Panasonic hmc40 for $500-$700 and century baby death for under $200, opteka even less. I got an Hmc150 for $870 you may get lucky and find one cheaper. Hpx/Hvx get a little more pricey plus P2 cards cost a fortune. fisheye options are more expensive for those 3 as well, unless you can find a 72mm opteka which I believe they discontinued (I've been searching).