Author Topic: VX1000 Transfer footage help  (Read 6088 times)

Shredheadz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
VX1000 Transfer footage help
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
So I bought a Vx not too long ago and I have been using it to film here and there. I've tried a couple different ways to transfer my footage and all of them either don't work or suck ass. First method was I bought one of those Pinnacle movie boxes that has a firewire connector then USB to your computer. After attempting to install the right drivers there was still no signal to my laptop. Second (which works but has bad quality) I bought the pinnacle dvd convertor with the red yellow white A/V cable that hooks into it and my capture camera. After finally getting and installing the drivers to work, I could record the tape using OBS Studio. Which is fine but the footage looks very bad and has nothing to do with the custom settings on the actual VX. So I figured I'd try to sell that and buy an old laptop with a firewire port to get better quality and just transfer the clips with a USB memory card. I bought an old (2002-2003?) apple iBook G3, opened up iMovie and hooked up my firewire to the capture cam, and just as I thought I was gonna get nice vx footage, nope. The screen sat blue with "no control of camera" or something on it.... So now im stuck with all this shit that doesn't work for me lol. My current laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series and the capture camera I am using is a Panasonic PV-GS14. If anyone knows a sure way for me to be able to transfer my footage through firewire I'd extremley appreciate it. And NO I do not want to get an HD camera when I have this golden camera working fine.....besides the transferring part. I could be doing something so small wrong or if I have to get another "capture laptop" that's fine I'm just sick of these tapes not going anywhere. Thanks

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: VX1000 Transfer footage help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:35 AM »
maybe it's your capture cam. I used to play around with those small Panasonic cams and how frequently they would get recognized, once plugged in, by my personal, work, or friends' computers was super inconsistent. actually I could never get them to work with Firewire ever - only USB ever worked (only on certain PCs - never Mac - and whenever it felt like), but somehow I could still capture the footage without any quality loss that way. not the recommended method though.

also you couldn't even just play tapes of VX footage on most of them, although I suspect that might have had to do with some kind of PAL / NTSC incompatibility when the capture cam is of a different origin than the original cam (but please don't take my word for that, I'm no technician)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:21:42 AM by silhouette »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pho/d/sony-handycam-minidv/6456776530.html

Get a sony minidv handicam,the ones from the mid 2000s have firewire I think they're called dc38 or something,but similar to the link. My homie had a panasonic before he got his VX,tried and failed to transfer footage,until he used my handicam. No loss on quality either. There's also that mini dv player thing that connects usb or a/v with decent quality,but they are pricey,and you already tried a converter.  Just like Silhoutte said,panasonics are inconsistent for the most part

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Cinco

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
Your best bet is to get a firewire card for your laptop.

Shredheadz

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »

Get a sony minidv handicam,the ones from the mid 2000s have firewire I think they're called dc38 or something,but similar to the link. My homie had a panasonic before he got his VX,tried and failed to transfer footage,until he used my handicam. No loss on quality either. There's also that mini dv player thing that connects usb or a/v with decent quality,but they are pricey,and you already tried a converter.  Just like Silhoutte said,panasonics are inconsistent for the most part
Ok ya I'm gonna sell the Panasonic one and try to get a sony capture cam! Any recommendation of which ones? I've heard of the TRVs being popular with skating

Shredheadz

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »
Your best bet is to get a firewire card for your laptop.
My new laptop does not have an expresscard slot to put a firewire adapter in.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:17:08 AM by Shredheadz »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Ok ya I'm gonna sell the Panasonic one and try to get a sony capture cam! Any recommendation of which ones? I've heard of the TRVs being popular with skating
Yea those are good or dcrhc I think is what I had, trv might be easier to find,but make sure it has the firewire connect

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
TRV is good for filming skating because it has a really similar look to VX footage, but I've never heard of anyone using a TRV as a capture cam, sounds like a waste of money (since they are more expensive than your average capture cam) for the most part if you don't plan on actually filming with it (especially as you already have a VX)

Shredheadz

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
TRV is good for filming skating because it has a really similar look to VX footage, but I've never heard of anyone using a TRV as a capture cam, sounds like a waste of money (since they are more expensive than your average capture cam) for the most part if you don't plan on actually filming with it (especially as you already have a VX)
Ya i wont/don't care to film with it, do you know of the best to use just for capturing the footage that's a sony that'd probably be the cheapest?

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:16:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ya i wont/don't care to film with it, do you know of the best to use just for capturing the footage that's a sony that'd probably be the cheapest?
Sorry to bump but I use a Sony GVD900 for my capture deck and I love it almost as much as the vx1000 honestly. The fact I've never even turned playback on my current vx except once on accident is quite the testament to those little suckers. Video walkman for life son, and playback after the tape is full for the homies is pretty sick as well. Just lurk eBay for a month or so and you'll eventually come across a good one with a best offer option. Drop it to $250 and the seller always bites.