Author Topic: Deadspin.com - Rodney vs Daewon Round 1  (Read 4054 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
Re: Deadspin.com - Rodney vs Daewon Round 1
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 05:48:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It was interesting to read about Daewon and Rodney's mindset leading up to the video, but the author waaay overstates the video's significance, which makes the whole article sound kind of corny.
[close]

I think it depends on your age.  I think It is for the THPS 1 generation.    This came out btw 7th and 8th grade and this was the video everyone was talking about.   Blew the Shortys Hardware video out of the water and Fulfill the Dream wasn’t coming out until a year later.   It was hard to get ahold of skate videos at that time/age and it was definitely an event when you got to finally see it.   There weren’t copies of video days, mouse, or trilogy just floating around in skate shops.  Shit took a lot of work to see.  I had to buy a vhs tape off ebay that had all the plan b vids recorded on it
[close]

It's funny, because for me this came out between 8th and 9th grade, so we're only a year apart in age. I was a big Rodney fan back then and repped A-Team hard. I think the video meant as much to me as it did to you. But what I was getting at is that the premise of the article is "this video changed skateboarding", which it didn't really, and so the whole thing sounds kind of silly.

I get what you mean.   As a one-off article about this video, it seems a little odd and grandiose, but if there was a series of essays about videos like this, I think it might fit a little better.