Author Topic: Ankle Plates and Screws  (Read 1826 times)

BrunsdOut17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Ankle Plates and Screws
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »
Wondering if anyone could provide some advice. I broke my ankle a few years ago skating, and had surgery on it and they put in a plate and screws. The doctor told me that I didn't really need to have them removed, unless there was noticeable pain or whatever. Just wanted to know if anyone else went through the removal surgery and if it was worth it? Like how long the healing process was and if skating was any different after. Thanks

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
Re: Ankle Plates and Screws
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:39 AM »
I had mine done in 2002 maybe, plate and screws in my lower fibula. After the healing process, which sucked, Ive been skating since without any issues. Sometimes its sore, but I figure its just being old, but nothing serious that I feel like it might need a check up.

I also have a rod and some screws/pins on my right radius, from wrist and into my elbow. I had a few pins removed from the elbow side shortly after the surgery. Again, no real issues with either that feel like I should be concerned with.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
I have a plate with 7 or 8 screws on my collarbone. I have the option to have them removed if I want, doctor said it's up to me. They've been in for 2.5 years or so. I read a study that showed 80% of the people who had them removed said they would recommend it, and 80% of the people who didn't have them removed would recommend not doing it. Point is, it's personal preference how the tissue around the foreign implant heals if it is bothersome or not.

BrunsdOut17

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »
thanks for the responses, ive been skating on the plates for years now and never really had a problem. Ill probably just keep em for awhile. thanks!

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
Broke my ankle 7 years ago, got a plate and some screws. Was told I'd get them removed 3 months later and could skate 4 months later. Got them removed, got a staph infection, spent 3 weeks in hospital and then 3 more weeks at home in my bed. It took a while to heal as staph infections are pretty serious. I couldn't skate for about 8 months. My ankle has been fine ever since though, no problems at all, I just have a gnarly scar. I never think about it, it doesn't feel weak or anything.