Author Topic: Shoe recommendations - weak ankles  (Read 9402 times)

colt cannon lunchbox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -92
Shoe recommendations - weak ankles
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
As the titles says my ankles (especially in my ollie/pushing foot) feel super weak. I've done a bit of research myself on the topic and have only really found out that I shouldn't be skating hi's as they can restrain the movement in the ankle - making them weaker.

Do I just need something with a decent insole? Or would a thicker shoe all together work better? Only skate cupsoles?

Or is ankle pain inevitable?

iwishilivedinfinla

Re: Shoe recommendations - weak ankles
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »
Blazer Mids, duh

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »
I think the best option would be to get one of those big elastic bands. Put it around the leg of a table or desk and then stretch it tight with it around your mid-foot to toe area. Hold it tight, then move your ankle like your flicking a kickflip, slower the better. Do as many as you can per day and you'll increase the muscles around your ankle.

For shoes, the higher your foot sits from the ground the more prone to rolling it will be. So, in theory, super thin vulc shoes will be less prone to rolling an ankle.
Also, if you don't like super thin shoes, I'd recommend a shoe with a wider sole. This will make the stability of the shoe much better then a shoe with a narrow footprint.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:02:07 PM »
Stretching does wonders

Also maybe consider investing in some sort of compression ankle sleeve to give yourself at least some stability while skating

Mongoloid

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:38:27 PM »
You got them pussy ass ankles bruh.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:33:04 PM »
I tore my ligaments twice in a row on my left foot.
Once in my right.

I'm old and weak :(

And as much as I hated the Koston 3 when it came out I must say it's the shoe I felt most 'safe' in.
I bought 3 pairs for like 90 bucks and they're amazing.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:31 PM »
As the titles says my ankles (especially in my ollie/pushing foot) feel super weak. I've done a bit of research myself on the topic and have only really found out that I shouldn't be skating hi's as they can restrain the movement in the ankle - making them weaker.

If you really believe that....try wallabees.......

High or mids plus do tons of excercises.....then go back to a low.....

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »
Agree with the koston 3s being good. The socks on Nike shoes, as wack as it looks, acts as a good stabilizer without being restrictive like a brace or high top. If you're not at the point where your shits so fucked that you can't skate without braces even whilst doing intense physio, then I think your best bet is to go to a skate shop and just try on different shoes, and do the ankle roll test in them, stand flat and try to roll your ankle, you'll notice it's way easier to roll your ankles in some shoes compared to others.

I'd say wide shoes with a solidly built upper that doesn't become flimsy after a few sessions is your best bet. Dunks highs are great, wide and supportive, you don't have to lace them all the way up, but you have the option if you need to.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 04:52:27 AM »
as someone who fully relies on high tops and has been in and out of the hospital too many times for busted ankles i can give you some feedback:

the resistance bands work. go to a dick's or order them off of amazon, get a 3 pack with the light/medium/strong resistance and work your way up with those excercises you see above. i used to do it at work and it feels amazing and helps you get more strength down there.

arnica gel, buy some of that and massage that into your ankles real good.

work out other muscles in your legs. if you're a gym guy, do leg workouts. it will trickle down to your ankle and build strength without you even knowing it. if not, google some at home workouts to help out.

as far as the koston 3 / nike sock argument goes, i just started skating the dunk elite high. i'll say this, i wouldn't wear them all day long if i wasn't skating, which is annoying. i wore mine in the car driving to work for an hour yesterday and they made my ankles feel weaker, just because they support your foot so much to the extent where it isn't moving all too much. the sock thing takes a while to get used to, but they're starting to grow on me a little bit, and when i'm skating around in them they feel nice and secure, super thin though, be wary.

i typically swear by CTAS highs, classic highs, blazer mids, or state salem's with an ankle brace on my leading foot. insoles of choice come out of States.
good come sausage

asakusa75

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »
You got them poosy ass ankles bruh.

Get Half Cabs.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »
Thanks shoe nerds/slap physios, all of this info will be taken onboard.

Going to start training legs more at the gym (as much I hate not being able to skate the next few days) if it means it's better for me in the long run.

You guys will make my next purchase a lot easier.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
^ Concerned parent makes a good point. These sock/high tops/braces shouldn't be what you wear all the time. But if you do feel like your ankle is prone to rolls when skating, only skate in them. I skate with braces and high tops, but whenever I'm just cruising, walking around or doing anything other than intensely skating, I wear low tops to keep my ankles in motion. Top that off with physio and you shouldn't be too worried about high tops etc making your ankles weak.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 03:41:42 AM »
Blazer Mids, duh

I used to skate only blazers for years, but I still had some ankle issues. My friend who also skated blazers only had serious ankle problems. His physiotherapist asked him to bring his skate shoes so he could inspect them. The next time he brought the shoes and the therapist was very surprised of the shoes lack of support. Yes they were high but there was not a good heel cup or sole.
Now I skate busenitz and samba adv only because of the heel cup and they're way better for your ankles.
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »
I'd get shoes with thin soles cause they're less tippy.  If you've got shoes with too much cusion in the sole you become 'top heavy' and more likely to roll your ankle.   If you hurt yourself recently you should just skate the park barefoot for a month so you don't do anything ankle rolly.  It's good for your skating to skate barefoot.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »
shoes with high arches work great for me, shoes with the nike sock with great to. The adidas superstar vulc, og buzenits, koston 3 or nike dunk elite all work really well for me.

smellyfart

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
I've sprained both of my ankles plenty of times and I've come to conclusion on a couple things. Yes blazers are a great shield for your ankle it still is realistic to roll or injure your ankle in them due to the lacing and one piece suede to the shoe. They can feel very sturdy for the first couple days of skating but when broken in they tend to get floppy and don't give much support to the arch or toe joints of the foot. (after long use of blazers I have noticed symptoms of "turf-toe" or just simply pain in the joints of my feet from the flatness of the sole) I've also skated plenty of pairs of Dunks Mids in search of something more supportive and I loved the support of the shoe but after multiple pairs in a row I felt like I was cheating my way out of having weak ankles by not working towards strengthening them. I also started to find that Dunk mids are not as skateable with the materials they've used recently and the colorways are sometimes quite loud. Though I do really like to skate mid top shoes it seems that Nike and Cons are of few companies that do a mid top shoe that are decently reliable and I would perfer to ride core skate branded shoes.

Lately I've been riding the Emerica Reynolds G6 and I'm super stoked on how it performs and fits my foot. The padding is thorough from the sole of the shoe to the collar and tongue. I'm on my 3rd pair of them and am stoked on skating a shoe that i skated with over 10 years ago.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
+1 for the Koston 3’s. The ankle cuff really gives you way more confidence cause your foot is so locked in.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
Stretching does wonders

for real, and strengthening too, get a little routine going in mornings 5 minutes and!youll be good after a week or two, garanteed. i like skating highs, just dont lace the tops tight and they're fine

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 09:52:42 AM »
I'd get shoes with thin soles cause they're less tippy.  If you've got shoes with too much cusion in the sole you become 'top heavy' and more likely to roll your ankle.   If you hurt yourself recently you should just skate the park barefoot for a month so you don't do anything ankle rolly.  It's good for your skating to skate barefoot.

what
good come sausage

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what
  THe skatepark is smooth and you can skate there with out shoes.  You won't roll your ankle if your skating barefoot.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »
Yep..,.this is true....the more unstable and horrible the conditions are the stronger your ankle will get...

Been noticing a lot of hockey players using lo's now too.....

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
The skatepark is smooth and you can skate there with out shoes.  You won't roll your ankle if your skating barefoot.
While you are less prone to rolling your ankle, you may still roll it - even barefoot.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 09:18:22 PM »
Half cabs. You're welcome.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 09:40:33 PM »
The Full Cab is back out...the best shoe imo followed by the SB Dunk High.

animalflesh

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
Puma Clyde

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 07:56:55 AM »
Try a Dunk High, it works well for everyone I know w/ awful ankles.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.