Author Topic: JENKEM - WHAT DOES A REAL ART CRITIC THINK OF SKATE ART? (ROUND 2)  (Read 7829 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: JENKEM - WHAT DOES A REAL ART CRITIC THINK OF SKATE ART? (ROUND 2)
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
I don't believe possessing knowledge on the history, movements, related artworks etc. makes anybody more qualified to assess the quality of a creative work.

that's really odd to me. when it comes to art, sure you could say everything subjective, but really there's a lot more too it than that and what better thing to qualified an opinion than someone who has a deep knowledge of the history and craft and who's so into it that the self identify with that craft (art critic, skater, etc...).

do you not think asking for the top skate video parts of the year on slap would lead to better results than asking on some music or lifestyle forum? one opinion is way more qualified and willresult in a better set of parts. the other would just be a bunch of ty evans and richie jackson clips.

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 09:03:11 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't believe possessing knowledge on the history, movements, related artworks etc. makes anybody more qualified to assess the quality of a creative work.
[close]

that's really odd to me. when it comes to art, sure you could say everything subjective, but really there's a lot more too it than that and what better thing to qualified an opinion than someone who has a deep knowledge of the history and craft and who's so into it that the self identify with that craft (art critic, skater, etc...).

do you not think asking for the top skate video parts of the year on slap would lead to better results than asking on some music or lifestyle forum? one opinion is way more qualified and willresult in a better set of parts. the other would just be a bunch of ty evans and richie jackson clips.

yeah... i really hope he (soty) didn't mean half of what he's said here because idk wtf else he thinks could possibly make someone "qualified" to critique anything other than widespread knowledge of the very thing they're critiquing.

ok, i'll grant that maybe calling it "skate art" in the headline is misleading, but it's pretty damn clear the discussion is just about art by people who skateboard.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 10:35:56 AM »
that's the way Jews in Frankfurt formulated critique and it's extremely efficient.

subtle flex.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
Expand Quote
that's the way Jews in Frankfurt formulated critique and it's extremely efficient.
[close]

subtle flex.

Oh I can see how this look.. I wasn't trying to be funny or anything - a lot of the great German thinkers were Jewish (and also had to escape the Nazis). It's quite important to have in the back of your mind if you want to read and understand someone like Theodor Adorno (one of the biggest philosophers of Frankfurt)

SOTY

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »
I did not know how to feel about art before she told me and now I agree
+ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:10:28 PM by SOTY »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
If you accidently take a photo that looks staged,(which Hsu's completely did) throw it out and if you do stage a photo -make sure you have some artistic sense and not artifice.  I like Hsu as a personality and was surprised at the super corny photo (yes, before i read her critique)  I wanted to hate her from the begining but she called it right.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah... i really hope he (soty) didn't mean half of what he's said here because idk wtf else he thinks could possibly make someone "qualified" to critique anything other than widespread knowledge of the very thing they're critiquing.

ok, i'll grant that maybe calling it "skate art" in the headline is misleading, but it's pretty damn clear the discussion is just about art by people who skateboard.

SOTY just has terrible opinions. I think (hope) it's because he's Brazilian.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

SOTY

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »

Doesn't the fact that these people have a built in audience and platform for their work based on the profiles they have created within the skateboard industry succinctly created that label, though? If that doesn't qualify someone as a skateboard artist then what would you call it?

I wanted to hate her from the begining...

Why?

It seems like a few dudes had their feelings hurt by this article. I think the critic did a really good job writing about art for an readership which most likely isn't versed in art criticism.

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »
i went to art school that rewarded work with "deep meaning" and shit and i'm sick of it and just want to look at pretty things

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I thought it was gonna be board graphics but this is much more interesting. Also, Trump owns a Gonz? Is this true?
[close]

Yes, it's true. It was also mentioned in a 15 Things You Didn't Know article in Skateboarder but that was way before the current presidency.

Expand Quote
I really disagree with her about Hsu's photo, I think that he captured a truly emotional candid photo and it makes me feel a sense of loss and also frustration and giving up.
[close]

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'd like to know if it was staged or not.

Plus her comments about Brian Lotti are accurate. He's amazing, I'd love to own an original Lotti painting.

Would like to see Jenkem keep this up.

power of slap, can anyone verify this?

I realize it may seem demeaning or petty to have to justify his work, but I'd be curious to know. My personal suspicion is that it wasn't staged, and I hope it wasn't, but I can understand thinking it was, something about the shoes...

casper

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 05:30:27 AM »
The only thing worse then an “art critic “ is a gallery owner. The whole art world is a bullshit game.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »
My hollywood conspiracy website says all big ticket art auctions are covers for sexual slavery or worse

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
part 3 is up : http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/04/23/real-art-critic-think-skate-art-round-3/

pretty funny how the Haroshi piece confused the hell out of her !
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:47:05 AM by silhouette »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 12:30:47 AM »
These are wonderful. Hope Jenkem keeps this series going.

I never have and probably never will like anything Markovich does with a paintbrush. I've always found it tacky and corny. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2018, 03:57:51 AM »
I love these! It was great to hear how someone outside of the skatecamp percieves Neckface.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2018, 04:40:12 AM »
Chris "Intentionally Awkward Abstraction" Milic

bawtawd9

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2018, 05:24:49 AM »
I think this shit is dumb as hell.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:13 AM »

why?

bawtawd9

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

why?
I don't need no middleman to tell me the psychology of why gonz drew a penis. She's pretty hot though. I'm just not a artschool type.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
I like criticism - I think it's an essential part of making culture move in a direction. What I don't like is tastemaking. Tastemaking is just somebody telling you what they like and what they don't. A critique of something should always be made by someone who has an understanding of what they're criticizing. So let's take as an example the Jason Lee photography. She doesn't come to this as someone who is astonished by the idea of displaying the American landscape in black and white. She knows this isn't groundbreaking. What she does instead is telling us (the lesser-knowing) what type of art this is. i.e. the tradition that goes before this piece. And then (and this is where criticism takes place) she starts to focus on what it does and more specifically what it doesn't - that's the way Jews in Frankfurt formulated critique and it's extremely efficient. What it (the critique) does is that it opens up other ways for art to explore. It has nothing to do with whether or not the actual piece of art is good or bad, it has to do with art as something that are always engaging with society and why it's important to understand how and why it's engaging in its specific expressive state. The point is that good criticism can open up the artwork and make it important.

One who has always been good at doing this in skateboarding is our own Watson. One of his greater examples is when he criticized the idea of creativity in skateboarding as it can be seen right here http://youwillsoon.blogspot.dk/search?q=kyle+leeper This is critique that doesn't just say whether or not something is good. Instead it understands skating's history and criticizes whether or not something succeeds in its mission.

Let me guess, you're one of those types of people that feels that everything creative in life is subjective and there isn't good and bad taste? Fuck ouuta here...

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

why?
[close]
I don't need no middleman to tell me the psychology of why gonz drew a penis. She's pretty hot though. I'm just not a artschool type.

That tells me you don't really understand art on a conceptual level. You don't need to know anything about anybody to interpret their artwork, but it makes for a better critique if you have insight into the context in which that art was made. You don't need to agree with her statements, but if you listened to what she has to say instead of dismissing it offhand because you lack comprehension, you can learn something that will inform a well rounded argument as oppose to "this is dumb."
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

bawtawd9

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2018, 08:16:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

why?
[close]
[close]

That tells me you don't really understand art on a conceptual level. You don't need to know anything about anybody to interpret their artwork, but it makes for a better critique if you have insight into the context in which that art was made. You don't need to agree with her statements, but if you listened to what she has to say instead of dismissing it offhand because you lack comprehension, you can learn something that will inform a well rounded argument as oppose to "this is dumb."
So, your critiquing me now aren't you? Critiquing must be contagious among assholes. Your critique of me was all over the place and incorrect. Bunch a mumbo jumbo.   

ungzilla

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »
just admit you don't know why gonz drew a penis you goddamn miscreant

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2018, 10:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

why?
[close]
[close]

[close]
So, your critiquing me now aren't you? Critiquing must be contagious among assholes. Your critique of me was all over the place and incorrect. Bunch a mumbo jumbo.   

The nerve of someone on SLAP critiquing someone...

SOTY

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2018, 11:04:31 PM »
I'd give this song a 7.4/10 rating. Contextually speaking Todd was high when he wrote it. His brother skated I think so there's that.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 01:45:35 AM »
Really like Glen Fox's piece. He clearly has a lot of talent.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 05:11:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Let me guess, you're one of those types of people that feels that everything creative in life is subjective and there isn't good and bad taste? Fuck ouuta here...

No - It is just that one person's opinion is the least interesting part of critique.

But if you want to know, how I feel about art, then I follow the definition made by Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari, in which art is sensuous beings derived from the material. This means that art is so much more than just a craft made for pleasing one. Instead it is one of the minds three modes of thoughts (the other two are philosophy and logical science), which we use to dissect the chaotic world we live in, so that we can grasp it.

If you are interested in reading their full argument then it is the 7th chapter in this book https://transversalinflections.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/deleuze-3207-what_is_philosophy-fenomenologie-van-schilderkunst.pdf However, if you just want to make presumptions about me, then please continue.

SOTY

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 05:35:17 AM »
If you reduce everything to "looking and feel" you're not really reducing too much.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
I really like these series! For me skateboarding and art/creativeness go hand in hand.
I wonder how someone with background on both art and skateboarding feels about this series and about the art in question.. Maybe feedbackTed could chime in on some of these..