Author Topic: Pals in Eastern Europe?  (Read 1930 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Pals in Eastern Europe?
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:04:45 AM »
I'll be traveling through Budapest - Belgrade - Sarajevo - Podgorica- Tirana - Thessaloniki - Skopje - Sofia in the coming months. I'm planning to stay for a week or so in each city. Starting in Budapest on Jan 2nd. I'm also planning to check out some other smaller cities between these.

Any pals in these cities? Would be rad to meet up and skate - weather permitting - otherwise I'm down to grab beers or something. Any recommendations on places to check out is also appreciated!

Fuckshit.

Re: Pals in Eastern Europe?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:03:52 PM »
Hey man, I travelled all through Europe, Budapest had some cool spots and wasn't too bad to just cruise around. A lot better for partying though. Check out the Ruins bars!

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »
Haha I'd have to agree. It's been a few years since I've been here but I've visited a few times over the last  decade. The party hostel/erasmus scene still seems to be booming. I'm here with my lady now though so I doubt I rage it too hard. Might meet friends at one of the Ruin spots tonight.

Yesterday I went into Medium, which was cool, but there was a pretty strong language barrier between me and the guy working there. All he really got across to me was "Hungary's not good for skating" haha. Think I'll check out the Deak Ferenc Park and/or this diy spot over the next few days. Weather's looking good through the weekend - high of 13 on Saturday even.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »
You missed Ljubljana and Zagreb, much bigger skate scenes (but not all that cheap) and there would be no language barrier ... (people tend to speak foreign languages pretty good here)

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »
You missed Ljubljana and Zagreb, much bigger skate scenes (but not all that cheap) and there would be no language barrier ... (people tend to speak foreign languages pretty good here)
Ljubljana is The place to visit,there is a great old Yuro skate scene and awesome places to ride...dunno about Zagreb thou, but Pula is a must!
Check out this docu on Slovenian skate scene and maybe you'll come next time ;)
https://youtu.be/RWbO5w14xyk

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:11:20 AM »
I'll be traveling through Budapest - Belgrade - Sarajevo - Podgorica- Tirana - Thessaloniki - Skopje - Sofia in the coming months. I'm planning to stay for a week or so in each city. Starting in Budapest on Jan 2nd. I'm also planning to check out some other smaller cities between these.

Any pals in these cities? Would be rad to meet up and skate - weather permitting - otherwise I'm down to grab beers or something. Any recommendations on places to check out is also appreciated!

When are you visiting Thessaloniki?
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »
@Kornholio. I've been to those cities before but they didn't fit into my itinerary on this trip. Ljubljana definitely isn't cheap compared to other Balkan countries but I enjoyed it. I'd describe it as, umm, funktastic but not the most exciting? I had fun hanging out around Metelkova. I actually liked Zagreb more than a lot of other cities/towns I visited in Croatia. Underrated I might say? But then a lot of people visit Croatia wanting something like Dubrovnik...

If I make it to Thessaloniki I think it'll be sometime between mid Feb.-early March. Would probably try to fit it in between Macedonia & Bulgaria. We were thinking of skipping it considering it looks to be a lot more expensive then the other cities we're passing through but in reality if we find cheap accommodation the other side of budgeting can be adjusted easily. Would you recommend visiting?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 11:26:20 PM »
@Kornholio. I've been to those cities before but they didn't fit into my itinerary on this trip. Ljubljana definitely isn't cheap compared to other Balkan countries but I enjoyed it. I'd describe it as, umm, funktastic but not the most exciting? I had fun hanging out around Metelkova. I actually liked Zagreb more than a lot of other cities/towns I visited in Croatia. Underrated I might say? But then a lot of people visit Croatia wanting something like Dubrovnik...

If I make it to Thessaloniki I think it'll be sometime between mid Feb.-early March. Would probably try to fit it in between Macedonia & Bulgaria. We were thinking of skipping it considering it looks to be a lot more expensive then the other cities we're passing through but in reality if we find cheap accommodation the other side of budgeting can be adjusted easily. Would you recommend visiting?

Thessaloniki can be considered expensive but only when compared to the other cities you mentioned. If you compare it to any major European city it is quite cheaper, especially if you are planning to spend a lot of time on the streets (fast food and beer options are wild there). As for skate spots, I would say it is one of the best places, especially if you find a local who is willing to show you about (they tend to be lazy and only hang at the same one or two spots). I have a flat there and if it is not too many of you I should be able to sort you out for a weekend. If I were you I would definitely give it a shot for the nightlife alone.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:17 AM »
@sexualhelon is this a skate trip or just a backpacking trip with friends? I was thinking of skate scenes in these cities ... other than that Ljubljana really isn't that exciting for younger people

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 03:52:54 AM »
@sexualhelon is this a skate trip or just a backpacking trip with friends? I was thinking of skate scenes in these cities ... other than that Ljubljana really isn't that exciting for younger people

My wife and I are actually traveling for a year + and are about 2 months into the trip. It's slow travel, staying about a week in each city visited, but skating tends to not happen unless there's a good skatepark/scene and the weathers nice. The weather's pretty shit at the moment. It's been pretty snowy/gray between Serbia & Bosnia. I've mostly been hunting beer and burek haha.

For whatever reason, I feel like Slovenia in general gets circled around and skipped by most "tourists". I stayed with a Polish friend when I visited but found Slovenian people to be quite friendly overall. It's usually the people that make the place more than the attractions for me so I enjoyed myself perhaps mostly due to good company.