Author Topic: Shoes and durability  (Read 5983 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
Re: Shoes and durability
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 10:19:45 PM »

How old are you?

How many hours a week do you skate?
At least 10,maybe 12. I skate on my lunch break and some weeknights, and of course weekend missions here and there.

Your favorite shoes to skate in?
Vans Authentics with shoe goo where my hammer toe chills. I have yet to fuck with the Pro Classics,but am skating in painful corn busting Rowley Solos. Emericas and Es Accels were the go tos of my youth.

How long do your shoes last you?
Typically 3 months if I dont juggle shoes.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Side Note: As a kid I owned one pair of shoes (usually Vans). Wore them to school, skating, and everywhere else, and I skated a LOT more then than I do now. As a adult, I only wear my skate shoes when actually skating. Despite getting far less use, my shoes wear out so much faster now than when I was kid. Why? Has QC gone that downhill? Is skating more abusive now than it used to be (e.g. moving feet around for flip tricks)? Etc.? Any other lifers noticed this, too?
[close]

This applies to decks too (at the very least). It seems that they figured out if they make it too good, we don't buy them as often.
[close]

Short answer: yes.

Skate brand shoes have always sucked, but recent times have made it even more compromising. Vans has to spread themselves a bit thin compared to a couple of decades ago, when they were the biggest thing in the industry and didn't have the threat of sportswear brands outspending them. Now they have to skimp out on quality to make up for volume, it's essentially the same story with Lakai, Huf, DC, and any other "core" brand. They don't have many resources to draw from to put out greater quantities to keep up with the bigger companies without sacrificing somewhere, and quality control is the first thing they're willing to compromise.

As far as decks are concerned, that's kinda yes and no. There are still good decks produced now by certain wood shops who kick the shit out of those awful pieces of garbage World used to put out in the beginning, and companies like DSM and Chapman are producing arguably the best boards they've ever pressed right now. On the other hand, you have companies like Girl who've downgraded their wood quality in an attempt to spread themselves around thinly. Girl/ Chocolate boards were all I rode, right up until it was noticeable that they switched from PS Stix to that China garbage.
[close]

I'm old. I've been skateboarding far longer than you've been alive. I grew up in a skateboard mecca.

Sounds more like conjecture than experience ^^

That's cool that you've been skating for over 31 years, but what did I say that was conjecture? Everything I stated is common knowledge on the Slap boards, and it's all from the mouths of people who are on the business side of the industry, and what they've shared happens to line up with everyone else's experiences here as well. Some boards got better and some got worse, wouldn't you agree that DSM and Chapman make better boards now than they did in the 90's? They've had the time, money and experience of the past to refine their manufacturing processes. Anyone who has ridden an early World or Zoo board and can compare them with today's offerings know this, and the video DSM made about the improvements to their production for their woodshop helps solidify this argument. Even Ricky Oyola said in his Epicly Later'd that Chapman used to make shit boards, and mentioned that they've gotten their act together and currently make quality decks. I've been to Chapman before and I've seen it for myself, is that experience enough?

If anything, the planned obsolescence point is more in line with baseless conjecture than anything.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »
^ What he said.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Side Note: As a kid I owned one pair of shoes (usually Vans). Wore them to school, skating, and everywhere else, and I skated a LOT more then than I do now. As a adult, I only wear my skate shoes when actually skating. Despite getting far less use, my shoes wear out so much faster now than when I was kid. Why? Has QC gone that downhill? Is skating more abusive now than it used to be (e.g. moving feet around for flip tricks)? Etc.? Any other lifers noticed this, too?
[close]

This applies to decks too (at the very least). It seems that they figured out if they make it too good, we don't buy them as often.
[close]

Short answer: yes.

Skate brand shoes have always sucked, but recent times have made it even more compromising. Vans has to spread themselves a bit thin compared to a couple of decades ago, when they were the biggest thing in the industry and didn't have the threat of sportswear brands outspending them. Now they have to skimp out on quality to make up for volume, it's essentially the same story with Lakai, Huf, DC, and any other "core" brand. They don't have many resources to draw from to put out greater quantities to keep up with the bigger companies without sacrificing somewhere, and quality control is the first thing they're willing to compromise.

As far as decks are concerned, that's kinda yes and no. There are still good decks produced now by certain wood shops who kick the shit out of those awful pieces of garbage World used to put out in the beginning, and companies like DSM and Chapman are producing arguably the best boards they've ever pressed right now. On the other hand, you have companies like Girl who've downgraded their wood quality in an attempt to spread themselves around thinly. Girl/ Chocolate boards were all I rode, right up until it was noticeable that they switched from PS Stix to that China garbage.
[close]

I'm old. I've been skateboarding far longer than you've been alive. I grew up in a skateboard mecca.

Sounds more like conjecture than experience ^^
[close]

That's cool that you've been skating for over 31 years, but what did I say that was conjecture? Everything I stated is common knowledge on the Slap boards, and it's all from the mouths of people who are on the business side of the industry, and what they've shared happens to line up with everyone else's experiences here as well. Some boards got better and some got worse, wouldn't you agree that DSM and Chapman make better boards now than they did in the 90's? They've had the time, money and experience of the past to refine their manufacturing processes. Anyone who has ridden an early World or Zoo board and can compare them with today's offerings know this, and the video DSM made about the improvements to their production for their woodshop helps solidify this argument. Even Ricky Oyola said in his Epicly Later'd that Chapman used to make shit boards, and mentioned that they've gotten their act together and currently make quality decks. I've been to Chapman before and I've seen it for myself, is that experience enough?

If anything, the planned obsolescence point is more in line with baseless conjecture than anything.

Just in the sense that you seem to be repeating what I've heard from those other sources too. You don't seem to be telling me anything new based on your own experience. It wasn't meant to be an insult. I pretty much agree with your points.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

B. Hopper

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
For all you Shoe Goo'ers...

I'm curious if anyone's come up with ways to prolong outsoles with Shoe Goo or anything else? I hate that I have shoes in otherwise great condition, but the ball of my lead foot is totally worn out.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
I hate that I have shoes in otherwise great condition, but the ball of my lead foot is totally worn out.

#truth
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »

I'm curious if anyone's come up with ways to prolong outsoles with Shoe Goo or anything else? I hate that I have shoes in otherwise great condition, but the ball of my lead foot is totally worn out.

when skatan takes your sole it's over. i wish there was a way to resole shoes..
even the steven

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »

i've gone to extremes cutting pieces off old soles to glue into skate shoes, trying different epoxies, and none if it is worth it. When the sole goes, it's over, which is why i'm stoked on state these days (i know i mentioned this in other threads). the reinforced sole is the best innovation in skate shoes since last century. it's simple, doesn't up the price, doesn't affect board feel, saves you money and time and is generally less wasteful, shit should be standard in all skate shoes, makes no sense that it isn't.

B. Hopper

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ain't it a bitch?? i hate retiring shoes where the right foot is %90 brand new and the left is %75 new except for under the ball of my foot lol

B. Hopper

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i've gone to extremes cutting pieces off old soles to glue into skate shoes, trying different epoxies, and none if it is worth it. When the sole goes, it's over, which is why i'm stoked on state these days (i know i mentioned this in other threads). the reinforced sole is the best innovation in skate shoes since last century. it's simple, doesn't up the price, doesn't affect board feel, saves you money and time and is generally less wasteful, shit should be standard in all skate shoes, makes no sense that it isn't.

I may try a pair of States next. I just tried on a pair for the first time two days ago and they fit really well.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My broke homie would steal payless shoes and cut the sole out to shoe goo em on his kicked down skate shoes,for all the work involved...yea,not worth it,Haha! He did get really good at blending in the new soles and cutting out the bad sections though,may as well be a cobbler now.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

B. Hopper

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
My broke homie would steal payless shoes and cut the sole out to shoe goo em on his kicked down skate shoes,for all the work involved...yea,not worth it,Haha! He did get really good at blending in the new soles and cutting out the bad sections though,may as well be a cobbler now.

hahaha Awesome. I'd love to see his work!

B. Hopper

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
I can't help but think something non sticky..wax paper maybe..on the floor..pour a puddle of shoe goo...step in it with the offending outsole...let it sit for a bit and mold to the sole...air dry and boom! new outsole LoL...

That's my cartoon imagination hopelessly running wild.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 09:22:58 PM »
How old are you? 30

How many hours a week do you skate? 4-6(if I'm lucky)

Your favorite shoes to skate in? Vans Authentics or Half Cabs

How long do your shoes last you? A fe months, I don't do many flip tricks nowadays. Mostly slappies and low grinds.

Copy/fill/paste

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 05:27:48 AM »
It may be blasphemous however there are other products out there apart from Shoe Goo.
I use Aquasure which is for repairing waders, inflatables and the like. It "soaks" into suede a bit better than Goo and is harder wearing, you don't get the goo scab peel.
I have used it on soles to varying degrees of success.
Stuff shoe with paper, invert shoe so its level, apply over affected area, lightly cover with masking tape to avoid run off, leave 24/48 hours.
After use you can freeze it so it stays fresh for next use.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

B. Hopper

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
It may be blasphemous however there are other products out there apart from Shoe Goo.
I use Aquasure which is for repairing waders, inflatables and the like. It "soaks" into suede a bit better than Goo and is harder wearing, you don't get the goo scab peel.
I have used it on soles to varying degrees of success.
Stuff shoe with paper, invert shoe so its level, apply over affected area, lightly cover with masking tape to avoid run off, leave 24/48 hours.
After use you can freeze it so it stays fresh for next use.

On soles eh?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 02:19:48 AM »
Last used on a pair of vans that wore down to near flat then split, sealed the hole and added another month of indoor park skating.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

halfsleeper

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
How old are you?

10-15

Clear Weather Donny or Dodds

2-3 months til I hit skin

I swapped the stock ortholites for Vans insoles from the AA Slip-On Pro though.
Are the Kingfoams worth it? They look terrible...

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
How old are you? 22

How many hours a week do you skate? Weather permitting, 10-15 hours in the summer

Your favorite shoes to skate in? Herman's or Kyle walkers

How long do your shoes last you? 1-2 months

Copy/fill/paste

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 02:13:28 PM »
How old are you?

10-15

Clear Weather Donny or Dodds

2-3 months til I hit skin

I swapped the stock ortholites for Vans insoles from the AA Slip-On Pro though.
Are the Kingfoams worth it? They look terrible...

I too would like to know more about the Kingfoams...

mook

• Rep: 2
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »
How old are you? 33

How many hours a week do you skate? Weather dependent, but usually around 5

Your favorite shoes to skate in? Whatever's on clearance at the Vans outlet. Chimas and Gilberts lately

How long do your shoes last you? 5ish months. I preemptively super glue any stitching in the ollie zone and skate em down to the bitter end. 

Sk8philosipher

• Rep: -9
  • You gotta wind up that 360
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 06:41:57 AM »
Any have thoughts on the diamond boo j xl sizing durability ect im lazy and i wanna slip on that last a while and skates good o and also so i can get mad bitches and smoke alotta weed
Bird from alcatraz

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
How old are you? 42

How many hours a week do you skate? 1-4 Unfortunately winter and work has caused two weeks of no skating.

Your favorite shoes to skate in? I've got a pair of Converse Weapons that I keep going back to.  They just won't die and they're really comfortable (swapped out insole for a Footprint Gamechanger).

How long do your shoes last you? I've rotated shoes a bit between these, a pair of Converse KAII's and a pair of 'es   but these weapons have lasted about a year or so with some shoegoo on the ollie pad and toe

Copy/fill/paste
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

super glue and thick rubber from trucks inner tube, you just have to sand down the rubber on some grip and it will stay in place, i could have saved hundreds of shoes if i figured it out earlier

B. Hopper

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
super glue and thick rubber from trucks inner tube, you just have to sand down the rubber on some grip and it will stay in place, i could have saved hundreds of shoes if i figured it out earlier

I'd like to see this

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
1.5 year old shoes, non sb nike, i just add rubber on used areas once a month, and i use old lunarlon insoles from old  P-rod V

B. Hopper

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
1.5 year old shoes, non sb nike, i just add rubber on used areas once a month, and i use old lunarlon insoles from old  P-rod V

Wow. No issues with feel putting new rubber on the balls of your feet?? Looks like it would it annoying to me personally, but who knows ...

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »
if the rubber piece is placed wisely, no issues with it, and lil issues don't last long on new grip

B. Hopper

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2018, 07:34:31 PM »
if the rubber piece is placed wisely, no issues with it, and lil issues don't last long on new grip

Props man. Nice to know it's possible.

Spicy boi.

• Rep: 8
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2018, 01:33:44 AM »
How old are you? 16

How many hours a week do you skate? around 6-7 in winter, 12-16 in summer

Your favorite shoes to skate in? Ishod dunks when i can get my hands on em

How long do your shoes last you? 2 1/2 months normally

Copy/fill/paste