Author Topic: Terry Kennedy of baker  (Read 761839 times)

Not_Bruce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
Re: Terry Kennedy of baker
« Reply #5430 on: December 04, 2022, 04:38:03 PM »
What a terrible decision made by the court, Josiah deserved justice and did not get it.The situation is highly complex {TK has schizophrenia and a serious meth addiction } but still this is not justice in any sense of the word.

Rip to the young kind man that was Josiah Kassahun. Only 23 years old....how profoundly depressing is that.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Another case of mental illness + drug addiction destroying 2 skateboarders. One directly and the other indirectly.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5431 on: December 04, 2022, 05:02:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyway this is all pretty shit and sad to see. I didn’t follow the entire saga - basically picked up the thread a couple of weeks before the murder. Idk. To me it always depresses me how these people don’t seem to have anyone around them to pull them up by the scruff of the neck when they’re about to fall one step too far.

[close]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I think there were stories in here where TK didn't want help. Like I think someone at Brooklyn Projects tried to say something, but TK was just like "shalom" and walked away.

I think even an old Baker rider (Dollin?) wrote something like they saw him degrading mentally but TK didn't want to accept help.

This is tragic all around. But when it comes to helping someone, it's hard to help those who don't want to be helped.
[close]

Pretty much this. Seen it way too many times over the last years and I am tired of trying to help someone who isn't willing to improve his/her life.
[close]

I agree that people need to want to help themselves  and you can't help someone who is in denial but the TK situation is somewhat different as he demonstrated clear cognitive decline/schizophrenia.If you go to the beginning of this thread , most of the IG post by TK which are deleted now show TK unravelling .....he stops taking care of his personal hygiene ,lost muscle mass, his clothing becomes dingy /not washed , he is on IG live at 2 am smoking meth with that weird white lady, he started getting into weird conspiracy ideas anyone remember his post about being German, "1st black native and claiming he is Jewish. It only get more melancholic when TK on IG put a "hit" on his wife Sarah and would post photos of his family in happier times but by then his kids and wife left him.Other than Gator (fuck him) I can't recall another pro whose downward spiral can match TK in darkness and tragedy. If you look at the analytics of this thread , its fucked to say that the skateboarding community was really engaged with this thread ....5411 posts and 700,000 views. As a software developer who has worked at Facebook and Reddit that type of engagement on a post is quite atypical.
[close]

Hes not schizophrenic,  we concluded that he was mentally unhealthy, but still put out skate clips so he had some level of self control.   I don't think it's a good idea to stereotype people who use drugs.  TK decline IMO was due to his unattended anger management, that escalated into murder, people do this senseless killing shit all the time in the hood.   

also just because you work for incel energy companies doesn't make you an armchair psycho analyst
[close]

I don't know how you think you and some internet buddies are fit to diagnose this man but uhhh you didn't conclude shit buddy

Armchair psychology is a crapshoot at best.  "Still able to put out skate clips", jesus christ.

Not_Bruce

• Rep: -53
« Reply #5432 on: December 05, 2022, 11:21:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyway this is all pretty shit and sad to see. I didn’t follow the entire saga - basically picked up the thread a couple of weeks before the murder. Idk. To me it always depresses me how these people don’t seem to have anyone around them to pull them up by the scruff of the neck when they’re about to fall one step too far.

[close]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I think there were stories in here where TK didn't want help. Like I think someone at Brooklyn Projects tried to say something, but TK was just like "shalom" and walked away.

I think even an old Baker rider (Dollin?) wrote something like they saw him degrading mentally but TK didn't want to accept help.

This is tragic all around. But when it comes to helping someone, it's hard to help those who don't want to be helped.
[close]

Pretty much this. Seen it way too many times over the last years and I am tired of trying to help someone who isn't willing to improve his/her life.
[close]

I agree that people need to want to help themselves  and you can't help someone who is in denial but the TK situation is somewhat different as he demonstrated clear cognitive decline/schizophrenia.If you go to the beginning of this thread , most of the IG post by TK which are deleted now show TK unravelling .....he stops taking care of his personal hygiene ,lost muscle mass, his clothing becomes dingy /not washed , he is on IG live at 2 am smoking meth with that weird white lady, he started getting into weird conspiracy ideas anyone remember his post about being German, "1st black native and claiming he is Jewish. It only get more melancholic when TK on IG put a "hit" on his wife Sarah and would post photos of his family in happier times but by then his kids and wife left him.Other than Gator (fuck him) I can't recall another pro whose downward spiral can match TK in darkness and tragedy. If you look at the analytics of this thread , its fucked to say that the skateboarding community was really engaged with this thread ....5411 posts and 700,000 views. As a software developer who has worked at Facebook and Reddit that type of engagement on a post is quite atypical.
[close]

Hes not schizophrenic,  we concluded that he was mentally unhealthy, but still put out skate clips so he had some level of self control.   I don't think it's a good idea to stereotype people who use drugs.  TK decline IMO was due to his unattended anger management, that escalated into murder, people do this senseless killing shit all the time in the hood.   

also just because you work for incel energy companies doesn't make you an armchair psycho analyst
[close]

I don't know how you think you and some internet buddies are fit to diagnose this man but uhhh you didn't conclude shit buddy
[close]

Armchair psychology is a crapshoot at best.  "Still able to put out skate clips", jesus christ.

If you are unable to observe that TK has exhibited and demonstrated the spectrum of behaviour associated with Schizophrenia you have:

A) Never had a family member or friend afflicted with the condition. {Plausible}
B) You are being disingenuous or as the kids call it trolling. {You are exhibiting shmuck tendencies}
C) You lack primitive skills of observation and rationality. {Maybe you are out of your element Donny}

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #5433 on: December 05, 2022, 11:24:56 AM »
had the pleasure of meeting josiah at a halloween party i threw a few years ago when he was here visiting friends. kid was great. he deserves justice. rest in power g

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5434 on: December 05, 2022, 12:19:43 PM »
Expand Quote
"intent to kill" doesn't matter, he killed a man and should be held accountable for it, whether it was accidental or not
play stupid games, win stupid prizes
[close]

Intent to kill does matter when it comes to the court of law. Whoever went for “first degree” should have known better and went for “second degree.”

Second degree is easier to convict as lawyers just have to prove the culprit intended to harm the person in the heat of the moment which ultimately led to a death. That charge would’ve stuck and TK would’ve been facing 25-to-life WITH possibility of parole plus the time added for aggravated battery.

TK does need to be held accountable and I have a feeling with no friends in a IL prison system, accountability might be handled within those walls.

Isn't it possible to charge them with first and second degree murder in the same case to see which one sticks? Leading to a verdict of not guilty of one and guilty of the other? I'm genuinely asking because, for some odd reason, I thought it was common practice. 

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #5435 on: December 05, 2022, 12:28:36 PM »
Verdict is shocking imo

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #5436 on: December 05, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"intent to kill" doesn't matter, he killed a man and should be held accountable for it, whether it was accidental or not
[close]

Intent to kill does matter when it comes to the court of law. Whoever went for “first degree” should have known better and went for “second degree.”

Second degree is easier to convict as lawyers just have to prove the culprit intended to harm the person in the heat of the moment which ultimately led to a death. That charge would’ve stuck and TK would’ve been facing 25-to-life WITH possibility of parole plus the time added for aggravated battery.

TK does need to be held accountable and I have a feeling with no friends in a IL prison system, accountability might be handled within those walls.
[close]

Isn't it possible to charge them with first and second degree murder in the same case to see which one sticks? Leading to a verdict of not guilty of one and guilty of the other? I'm genuinely asking because, for some odd reason, I thought it was common practice.

I’m no lawyer, but I believe they can be charged with both in hopes that the lesser be accepted (e.g. Chauvin in the George Floyd case was charged with 2nd degree and manslaughter—the lesser being what he was charged with).

In this case, the DA should’ve known that 1st degree wouldn’t had stuck. 2nd degree and/or manslaughter should’ve been what he was charged with.

What I wonder is, if a new DA will try to charge him with 2nd/Manslaughter as he wasn’t charged with it in the first trial, meaning he isn’t protected by double jeopardy laws.

Either way, the DA fucked up.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #5437 on: December 05, 2022, 04:01:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m legitimately shocked the murder charge didn’t stick.

How much time you think he’s gonna get?  10 years?  He needs to be in a mental facility.
[close]

I can't understand this legal writing, but from my quick reading it seems the weakest punishment bracket for aggravated battery is a: minimum of 6 years and a maximum of 45 years.

I suppose we will have to wait for the sentencing hearing, but I imagine they aren't going to go easy on him. Despite beating the murder charge, TK is probably still completely fucked and could spend many decades in prison.

What a horrible end to the TK story: A skater from Illinois losing his life over TK throwing a temper tantrum about needing to get to the airport. TK threw away all of the opportunities skateboarding gave him, he could have been a great/problematic success story, but instead he will go down in history as one of skateboardings biggest monsters.

If someone has experience reading legal documents maybe you can figure out what is going on here:
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+12%2C+Subdiv%2E+5&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=21300000&SeqEnd=23400000

Highly depends on his previous criminal convictions and not as much on the mitigating circumstances. So he’ll probably get 8-10 years and most likely both charges will run concurrent instead of consecutively. It sucks but that might be the way it plays out.
//////////

Christ Puncher

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5438 on: December 05, 2022, 04:15:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

How much time you think he’s gonna get?  10 years?  He needs to be in a mental facility.
[close]

I can't understand this legal writing, but from my quick reading it seems the weakest punishment bracket for aggravated battery is a: minimum of 6 years and a maximum of 45 years.

I suppose we will have to wait for the sentencing hearing, but I imagine they aren't going to go easy on him. Despite beating the murder charge, TK is probably still completely fucked and could spend many decades in prison.

What a horrible end to the TK story: A skater from Illinois losing his life over TK throwing a temper tantrum about needing to get to the airport. TK threw away all of the opportunities skateboarding gave him, he could have been a great/problematic success story, but instead he will go down in history as one of skateboardings biggest monsters.

If someone has experience reading legal documents maybe you can figure out what is going on here:
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+12%2C+Subdiv%2E+5&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=21300000&SeqEnd=23400000
[close]

Highly depends on his previous criminal convictions and not as much on the mitigating circumstances. So he’ll probably get 8-10 years and most likely both charges will run concurrent instead of consecutively. It sucks but that might be the way it plays out.

I'm not sure where you're seeing the 45 years figure. I'm seeing (for a class X felony) 6 to 30 years. A class X designation requires the use of a deadly weapon and doesn't seem to apply in this instance.

The two charges fall under Class 3 felonies, meaning injuries are the aggravating factor. They carry punishments of 2 to 5 years and a fine of up to $25k.
I would skate a Najaf board if it was a nice shoe and my size.

cariumasvaccine

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5439 on: December 05, 2022, 04:18:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m no lawyer, but I believe they can be charged with both in hopes that the lesser be accepted (e.g. Chauvin in the George Floyd case was charged with 2nd degree and manslaughter—the lesser being what he was charged with).

In this case, the DA should’ve known that 1st degree wouldn’t had stuck. 2nd degree and/or manslaughter should’ve been what he was charged with.

What I wonder is, if a new DA will try to charge him with 2nd/Manslaughter as he wasn’t charged with it in the first trial, meaning he isn’t protected by double jeopardy laws.

my husband is an attorney, sending him this shit now, I'm super curious.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5440 on: December 05, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not sure where you're seeing the 45 years figure. I'm seeing (for a class X felony) 6 to 30 years. A class X designation requires the use of a deadly weapon and doesn't seem to apply in this instance.

The two charges fall under Class 3 felonies, meaning injuries are the aggravating factor. They carry punishments of 2 to 5 years and a fine of up to $25k.

Where do you see the 30 years?

I could have read it wrong, but there are exceptions from the deadly weapon: 1) selling controlled substance that results in significant harm 2) fucking with a correctional officer 3) and some other shit. I thought under the other shit included great bodily harm/death but that could just be related to drugs.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #5441 on: December 05, 2022, 05:36:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I could have read it wrong, but there are exceptions from the deadly weapon: 1) selling controlled substance that results in significant harm 2) fucking with a correctional officer 3) and some other shit. I thought under the other shit included great bodily harm/death but that could just be related to drugs.

I did 13 months for drug sales and there’s tons of different factors for drug offenses, like 1000 feet of a school zone, fire arm during the commission of a sale, Len bias law (Someone dies from the drugs you sold them), commercial quantities and so on.. but that’s dosent really pertain to the subject at hand. Only thing I can think of with drugs that pertains to a correctional officer would be being in possession of contraband while in custody.. obviously none of that has anything to do with TK, unless he had drugs on him when he murdered the victim.
//////////

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #5442 on: December 05, 2022, 09:30:16 PM »
He’s already been in jail for at least a year now too which will go towards his sentence. Sucks to say but i’ll bet he’s out in a few years, unless he goes off the rails in prison. Which is definitely possible

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5443 on: December 05, 2022, 11:01:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the clarification and extra info. I didn't know they could retry cases with a new DA.

Christ Puncher

« Reply #5444 on: December 06, 2022, 12:26:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The 30 years is for Class X felonies, which this doesn't fall under. In the case of aggravated assault, it's likely due to the perpetrator being armed. If the victim is law enforcement, a school teacher, or an emergency services worker the minimum is increased to 15 years. Again, none of this appears to apply in this instance.

Christ Puncher

« Reply #5445 on: December 06, 2022, 12:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the clarification and extra info. I didn't know they could retry cases with a new DA.

There's not a great deal of information regarding the trial or the verdict, but there's nothing to suggest that the charges weren't downgraded, that he wasn't tried for second degree murder, or that second degree murder wasn't an option available for conviction. Illinois has provisions for manslaughter charges, but they're not relevant to this situation.

In Illinois a conviction of first degree murder may be predicated solely on an defendant killing an individual while in the act of committing (or attempting to commit) a "forcible felony" – which aggravated battery falls under, which Kennedy was convicted of, and what ultimately killed Josiah. This would seem to suggest that first degree murder wasn't the charge being defended.

Unless the facts of the case are in dispute, it's likely Kennedy is constitutionally protected against retrial.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #5446 on: December 06, 2022, 02:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There's not a great deal of information regarding the trial or the verdict, but there's nothing to suggest that the charges weren't downgraded, that he wasn't tried for second degree murder, or that second degree murder wasn't an option available for conviction. Illinois has provisions for manslaughter charges, but they're not relevant to this situation.

In Illinois a conviction of first degree murder may be predicated solely on an defendant killing an individual while in the act of committing (or attempting to commit) a "forcible felony" – which aggravated battery falls under, which Kennedy was convicted of, and what ultimately killed Josiah. This would seem to suggest that first degree murder wasn't the charge being defended.

Unless the facts of the case are in dispute, it's likely Kennedy is constitutionally protected against retrial.

Wasn’t he out on bail for something else at the time?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #5447 on: December 06, 2022, 08:03:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Buddy we concluded he is on the spectrum of cognitive decline but didnt concluded on the mental health disorder

Horrible news of the acquittal

Right but I don't know how you decided you or anyone else here is fit say whether he's got mental disorders or not based on his instagram clips and news reports. To definitively say 'Slap has concluded TK is not schizophrenic' is just idiocy.

Shiro417gunpla

• Rep: 9
« Reply #5448 on: January 09, 2024, 11:32:12 AM »
Update video with SKATEINFORMANT

http://youtu.be/L8sbzUZ54iE?si=TvpuSBKcTAr3Kn7e
corduroy emerica ridgemonts

addie pray

• Rep: -522
  • u a whole goofy